Thread: Ecodharma: Introduction

Ecodharma: Introduction

Dear all

Thank you all for joining this study and practice group. This week we begin with the Introduction to the book, in which David Loy summarises the structure of the book and the focus of each of the six chapters to follow.

Chapter one will outline the current situation on our planet in terms of facing numerous ecological and environmental issues, of which climate change is perhaps the most obvious.

Loy then asks if the ecological crisis is also a Buddhist crisis in terms of how we look at individual awakening, karma and rebirth; ideas which will be explored further in the second chapter.

The subject matter of chapter three (‘What Are We Overlooking?’) examines the traditional Buddhist relationship with nature (beginning with Shakyamuni Buddha’s own awakening under the bodhi tree) and compares it with much of current practice taking place indoors, often in urban settings.

A number of specifically Buddhist approaches to living, including the first precept (to refrain from killing) and understanding greed and craving to be causing much of our own suffering, are noted as part of chapter four, and it is pointed out that these elements of individual practice need very much to be translated into much larger movements.

The final two chapters of the book (‘What If It’s Too Late?’ and ‘What Shall We Do?’) are described as the possibility we are facing our own extinction and what we can do to respond to the crisis if this is or is not the case. Loy makes the argument that whether or not what we do makes a difference, or enough of a difference, it is important to engage with this crisis, as Buddhists who care about other beings (especially as Mahayana Buddhists).

These are some questions you might wish to think about and answer as part of this week’s study (we will aim to read around ten pages per week). Alternatively, feel free to talk about anything else that the introduction has brought up for you, or beginning to engage with this topid.

On page two, David Loy lists a number of different environmental issues which are currently facing us. Are there any issues in particular which you have a specific interest in or feel is especially crucial to tackle?

How would you say that you dharma practice currently includes environmental issues? If the answer is not at all or very little, that is totally fine. No one is being judged here.

What role do you think that Buddhism and Buddhists have in facing the current environmental situation?

While we will move on to new reading each week, none of the earlier threads will be locked so it is possible to come back and comment if you cannot get to the material within the seven days we first explore it, or if you have something else to add.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

thanks, Kokuu.

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I am particularly interested in the impact of industrial agriculture on the climate crisis. I switched several months ago to a vegetarian diet (not vegan, because I don't like the idea of needing supplements). So, I eat a few eggs a week, and a few slices of cheese. Otherwise, nothing but fruits, vegetables, grains, water and my morning coffee. I made this decision because the meat industry is a giant addition to our personal carbon footprint, and it's also a giant waster of water.

In terms of dharma and practice, the climate crisis is one of those things that just cries out for what Kobun Chino Otagawa called the practice of "guerrilla zen." That is, taking the precepts outside the Zendo and into the world of daily life. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that better.

Gassho,
    Juki
    sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    On page two, David Loy lists a number of different environmental issues which are currently facing us. Are there any issues in particular which you have a specific interest in or feel is especially crucial to tackle?
    One issue doesn't speak to me more than others. I do appreciate Loy's idea that they are all integrated directly with economics.
    How would you say that you dharma practice currently includes environmental issues? If the answer is not at all or very little, that is totally fine. No one is being judged here.
    So far my practice has little obvious intersection with environmental issues (or economic issues). That's why I'm here -- to get started.
    What role do you think that Buddhism and Buddhists have in facing the current environmental situation?
    Loy's thought that Buddhist practice and environmental action can be mutually supporting is encouraging.

Especially encouraging is "acting without attachment to the results":
    We don't know if what we do is important, but we do know that it's important to do it.
    Sat in the FSR today.
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

i think Loy is right, we are facing one big problem. Nevertheless it might be helpful to split it in pieces.. For the moment here in Belgium there is a giant problem of pollution with these Persistent Organic Pollutants.. so that takes a lot of press attention.

i am taking little steps, like eating vegetarian, using my car as few as possible, turning the heating down..

aprapti
    sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

I find it difficult to get a feel for what’s most crucial. There seem to be so many problems. I am seriously concerned about animal agriculture. I read about a study that estimates farmed animals are 60% of the biomass of animals. Wild animals make up just 4%. There are three times more farmed birds than wild ones. https://www.ecowatch.com/biomass-hum...571413930.html Veganism has increased greatly over the last 10 years or so, but we don’t seem to be making much of a dent in these numbers.

I am also concerned about plastics. Per Simply Sustainable by Lily Cameron, 91% of all plastic produced has gone into landfills, plastic is 90% of all ocean waste and there are 46,000 pieces of plastic in a square mile mile of ocean. I avoid buying plastic as much as possible but my medical devices are plastic.

I am concerned about fossil fuel and the way we heat, cool and transport ourselves around. And as Loy points out, this all very much imbedded in our economic, political and social systems. There seems to be very little real discussion or momentum about what sustainable living should look like on a large scale.

How would you say that your dharma practice currently includes environmental issues? I don’t know. I’m not sure what such a practice would be. Sometimes I feel like it’s just bearing witness to a dying world.

What role do you think that Buddhism and Buddhists have in facing the current environmental situation? Perhaps not-knowing, not being attached to preconceived outcomes could offer fresh solutions. We could bring commitment to peace and non-violence, hopefully.

Looking forward to this discussion.

Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

In terms of dharma and practice, the climate crisis is one of those things that just cries out for what Kobun Chino Otagawa called the practice of "guerrilla zen." That is, taking the precepts outside the Zendo and into the world of daily life. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that better.
    I really like that, Juki, and the idea of "guerrilla Zen". In my experience, people seem to respond much better to being inspired to do better rather than browbeaten into "You gotta do this or the planet dies!". Showing how we can live gently is a great example.

i think Loy is right, we are facing one big problem. Nevertheless it might be helpful to split it in pieces.. For the moment here in Belgium there is a giant problem of pollution with these Persistent Organic Pollutants
    Yes, while we tackle issues at the root, it is also important to focus on the individual 'symptoms'.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

I find it difficult to get a feel for what’s most crucial. There seem to be so many problems. I am seriously concerned about animal agriculture. I read about a study that estimates farmed animals are 60% of the biomass of animals. Wild animals make up just 4%. There are three times more farmed birds than wild ones. https://www.ecowatch.com/biomass-hum...571413930.html Veganism has increased greatly over the last 10 years or so, but we don’t seem to be making much of a dent in these numbers.

I am also concerned about plastics. Per Simply Sustainable by Lily Cameron, 91% of all plastic produced has gone into landfills, plastic is 90% of all ocean waste and there are 46,000 pieces of plastic in a square mile mile of ocean. I avoid buying plastic as much as possible but my medical devices are plastic.

I am concerned about fossil fuel and the way we heat, cool and transport ourselves around. And as Loy points out, this all very much imbedded in our economic, political and social systems. There seems to be very little real discussion or momentum about what sustainable living should look like on a large scale.
    I get totally overwhelmed by the number of issues to be able to focus on one. The more I look, the more problems there seem to be. Transport and food production are two absolutely huge ones, though, as eating and travelling are things most people do every day.

Plastic is so hard to avoid. I try to avoid it also but supermarket packaging is so hard to deal with. I get that for hygiene purposes plastic wrapping is sometimes necessary but we really have to figure out alternatives to this. My delivery has at least dispensed with plastic bags but packaging on food items is still so ubiquitous.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thanks for starting the reading/discussion and for everyone's contributions so far. I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

The state of the world's oceans is quite personal to me. I was fortunate enough to grow up near the coast and one of my greatest loves in life is surfing, so the ocean feels like an intrinsic part of me. I realise from a Buddhist perspective that everything is, but the sea is the first place I ever made that connection. I also currently live close enough to the North Sea that my house might well be under water at some point this century if some predictions are accurate. Also, I went vegan many years before discovering zen, so agriculture is another topic I'm interested in, but I would like to learn more about the other issues discussed by Loy.

How would you say that your dharma practice currently includes environmental issues?
    I can't say that there is a fully articulated connection between the two in my mind, but the teaching of interdependence and my increasing awareness of it through practicing is making me think more about the consequences of my actions than I previously did. There is still far too much disconnect/separation though. I often fall in to doing what is most convenient rather than what is best for the environment and I've barely had any involvement in environmental activism outside of some 'consumer choices' and attending the occasional protest.

As Loy says many Buddhist teachings lend themselves pretty freely to environmental concerns. I've already mentioned interdependence, but I think that is the most crucial one in terms of a starting point for our engagement with the issue. The following quote from Loy seems to fit pretty well here and also echoes Treeleaf's philosophy of all of life being our practice:

Insofar as a sense of separate self is the basic problem, compassionate commitment to the well-being of others, including other species, is an important part of the solution. Engagement with the world's problems is therefore not a distraction from our personal spiritual practice but can become an essential part of it
    Sorry if I've run long, I wasn't sure if the 3 sentences rule applied here?

Gassho ,
    Dan
    ST/LAH

My educaton, career and volunteer work have focused on conserving hatitat for wildlife (ie addressing the loss of biodiversity). This is an area I am knowledgeable about and have skills to offer. However, after I retired I continued in this area for awhile but other life challenges have slowed down my activism.

Not really much which is why I was attracted to Ecodharma.

Buddhism speaks to interdependence and no separate self. I came to that through my ecological education and experiences so I found Buddhism very compatible. As to what Buddhist have to offer? Trying to learn that answer but I would think they understand the connection to everything so can be advocates for connection to the natural world. Not separate, but one.

Doshin
    st
    Last edited by Doshin; 01-22-2022 at 12:01 AM.

The insight and equanimity cultivated by eco-bodhisattvas support what is most distinctive about Buddhist activism: acting without attachment to the results of action, something that is easily misunderstood to imply a casual attitude. Instead, our task is to do the very best we can, not knowing what the consequences will be — in fact, not knowing if our efforts will make any difference whatsoever.
    A couple of days ago Kokuu posted a link to an article on chemical pollution (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ical-pollution). It is just one more way we are destroying our planet. Hard to not feel despondent but I came to the same conclusion as David Loy did in the quote above.

I suppose my answer is “all of them”.

For several years my family has been trying to reduce out carbon foot print, trying to reduce our consumption and be mindful of our actions. It is a daily aspect of our practice.

That is what I am here to learn. I see my role as a Buddhist and I see my role in facing the current environmental situation. I don’t think I’ve ever really consciously connected the two.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Like others, it's difficult to know where to start, all these issues are so urgent and interrelated. I suppose one of the reasons I'm so keen to take part in this group is to get beyond the burnout Loy describes towards the end of the chapter. Food production and energy are two that immediately spring to mind but they are so closely related to animal habitat loss, carbon emissions, and rubbish that it is hard to see them as separate issues.

I think it informs my outlook by seeing the word as interconnected and I try to guide my actions through our precepts.

I'm not sure. My first reaction is to say that Buddhism can provide a way to move beyond attachment to material goods and see the interdependence of the world but how do we get that message to stick as it's not a new one?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

On a worldwide level I think that climate change is a big deal, that documentary that Doshin shared recently of Richard Gere on the feedback loops show that taking action here is critical before it is too late - https://feedbackloopsclimate.com/.

Not much yet, apart from treating any garden work, saving food scraps, etc. as samu... Yet I am inspired. Reading the introduction chapter of Ecodharma, I was quite struck by pages 6 and 7 when David Loy talks about actually sitting in nature as a way to drop our societal constructs. Sounds promising and something I am not doing yet. I would love to start that and see how it goes - directly connecting through practice with the natural environment that we are wanting to protect/nourish through our practice.

Transforming the ways of thinking that leads to us harming the earth by trying to get more and more out of it for material gain, bringing awareness to how we do not actually gain from this at all.

Gassho,
    Kaisui
    (charity/coriander)
    sat/lah

Thanks for this study and practice group. I've always wanted to learn and do something about environmental issues. However sometimes I postponed it, sometimes I made meaningless excuses ("Who I am to save the environment?", "Well, I'm not the one to blame", "I don't want to be an 'angry activist'"...) So I'm really glad to be able to start this process with all of you. In fact, I'm glad as twice since this book is about both ecology & Dharma. Also, I want to thank Kokuu for making this text accessible for me.

Well, it is not a purely environmental one, but the issue I'm going to tackle is at the intersection point of environmental & social problems. I've recently read that "40% of the UK's plastic waste exports were sent to Turkey", and the Greenpeace report on this has mentioned Turkey as "the waste dump of Europe". Learning this fact really bothered me. One part of the world sends its plastic waste to another country so that it does not harm its own nature and is not inhaled by its own people and another part of the world accepts this waste just to earn income, even if it means destroying its own nature. The difference between these two parts of the world consists only of some economic (un)privileges. If this waste export was done between two different planets, I could understand a little bit. But Britain and Turkey are, as far as I know, two countries on the same planet. And the pollution of the air and nature of Turkey results in the negative impact of the air and nature of Britain, first indirectly, but one day directly. What can Britain do when there is no "developing" or "underdeveloped" country left to send her plastic waste to one day? What can Turkey do with the pounds in her treasury when she has completely destroyed her own nature? And if we even cannot understand this simple fact that we share the same planet how can we able to do something for our environment? And how can we care about trees or rivers when we don't even care about our own kind, for whom we are more likely to feel sympathy at least just because of our similarity?

How would you say that your dharma practice currently includes environmental issues? If the answer is not at all or very little, that is totally fine. No one is being judged here.

The answer is "very little" actually, but I'm glad that I have this answer. Because I didn't even have this answer before. Dharma practice has made it possible for me to take baby steps in this area.

That is my humble opinion that all of us (regardless of our beliefs) should avoid treating environmental issues as something that can be solved only by individual effort. It's obviously not. These issues should be taken in an organised manner. We can and should do our best but it would be wiser to try to get influential organizations to do the right thing, rather than telling a 12-hour day worker that he needs to understand that he is one with nature and not to use spray deodorant. So I believe that whatever role Buddhism and Buddhists have, it should not be an irritating and blaming one. As a Buddhist, I think that my role is remembering that I am still on the same earth which witnessed the perfect enlightenment of the Buddha. And for me Buddhism has a role to remind me of this truth.

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat.
    Last edited by Dogukan; 02-17-2022 at 09:42 PM.