Thread: 1 year after my jukai..

1 year after my jukai..

It’s been exactly a year since I replied “yes I will” to Jundo’s questions about vowing to keep the precepts. I came asking for them without knowing what they were or what it meant. I knew I wanted to do “something”, something more than just zazen and chanting in the privacy of my home. I wanted to make “it” official, whatever “IT” was. And the path led me to Treeleaf.

A year later, I look back at what I have learned and gained and I am grateful and humbled daily.
    The precepts sink in a bit more every day and I recommit to keeping them every month. I wake up and go to sleep next to them. I see more of their meaning and power every day.
    They paint a clearer picture of me in every moment, so I can look at myself and work on fixing what needs fixing. They shape my way of being in the world and how I engage with everyone. They give me new ways of expressing myself and new standards that I use to measure my words.
    I remember receiving my dharma name and thinking “ ugh.. it doesn’t sound Japanese enough”. But then a change happened and I found a deeper meaning in it. It means “beautiful sound” and Jundo gave me a brand new purpose: all my words, directed at every being, should be “beautiful” , or as I say daily, “kind and compassionate” - he never said that was what he meant, but it is what it means to me.

Jukai 2021 was a beginning for me. I thought I knew things, but not a day goes by that I don’t see just how much more there is to do, to learn, to execute and embody. Receiving the precepts is not, as I used to think” something one does for oneself, so that we become a buddhist or a boddhisatva, or “something”. We receive the precepts to serve, unreservedly and generously. The work is done, fully complete, as we sit in zazen. Zazen is every precept kept. But off the cushion is where we work to keep our vows and use the zazen mind. I wish all of my fellow jukaiees from last year, and our new jukaiees, to find in themselves the determination to turn the precepts into their walking, breathing, talking reality. To take them off the written page and use them as a mirror. Master Dogen said “moving forward is after all an every day affair”… So I wish to move forward, caring after every day affairs the same way I care for my posture in zazen, or hands in kinhin..

Sorry for the length of this! I almost never start a thread or post like this. But I wanted to mark the occasion somehow with all of you, not on social media or in private.

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 01-17-2022 at 01:17 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Beautiful words, thank you.

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

Thank you for your words and enduring friendship, Bion.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Wonderful. Thank you for sharing this Bion.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks for sharing Bion,

I hope to be practicing with you (and Tree Leaf) many years to come

Gassho,

Ippo

SatLah
    Last edited by Ippo; 01-17-2022 at 02:36 AM. Reason: The post isn't about me :). Less words is sometimes more!
    一 法
    (One)(Dharma)

Everyday is a good day!

Beautifully written. Thank you Bion for your sincere words. I wish you decades of practice in this direction, with your beautiful sound.

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat.

May the precepts bring you peace, joy and ease
    Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Gassho
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you Bion
    Sat
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Lovely words, Bion!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Doshin
    St

Can I just say that you embodied all of this excellently as my Ango buddy this year

Gassho,
    Dan
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    It’s been exactly a year since I replied “yes I will” to Jundo’s questions about vowing to keep the precepts. I came asking for them without knowing what they were or what it meant. I knew I wanted to do “something”, something more than just zazen and chanting in the privacy of my home. I wanted to make “it” official, whatever “IT” was. And the path led me to Treeleaf.

A year later, I look back at what I have learned and gained and I am grateful and humbled daily.
    The precepts sink in a bit more every day and I recommit to keeping them every month. I wake up and go to sleep next to them. I see more of their meaning and power every day.
    They paint a clearer picture of me in every moment, so I can look at myself and work on fixing what needs fixing. They shape my way of being in the world and how I engage with everyone. They give me new ways of expressing myself and new standards that I use to measure my words.
    I remember receiving my dharma name and thinking “ ugh.. it doesn’t sound Japanese enough”. But then a change happened and I found a deeper meaning in it. It means “beautiful sound” and Jundo gave me a brand new purpose: all my words, directed at every being, should be “beautiful” , or as I say daily, “kind and compassionate” - he never said that was what he meant, but it is what it means to me.

Jukai 2021 was a beginning for me. I thought I knew things, but not a day goes by that I don’t see just how much more there is to do, to learn, to execute and embody. Receiving the precepts is not, as I used to think” something one does for oneself, so that we become a buddhist or a boddhisatva, or “something”. We receive the precepts to serve, unreservedly and generously. The work is done, fully complete, as we sit in zazen. Zazen is every precept kept. But off the cushion is where we work to keep our vows and use the zazen mind. I wish all of my fellow jukaiees from last year, and our new jukaiees, to find in themselves the determination to turn the precepts into their walking, breathing, talking reality. To take them off the written page and use them as a mirror. Master Dogen said “moving forward is after all an every day affair”… So I wish to move forward, caring after every day affairs the same way I care for my posture in zazen, or hands in kinhin..

Sorry for the length of this! I almost never start a thread or post like this. But I wanted to mark the occasion somehow with all of you, not on social media or in private.

Sat Today
    Thank you for your sincere practice, my friend Your words here indeed beautifully reflect jukai.

Gassho,

Bokugan
    SatToday LaH
    Last edited by Bokugan; 01-17-2022 at 05:16 PM.
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Lovely mate. Hope to join the club next time around the sun

Neil
    ./sat+lah

Yes!
    Betifully put, Bion...Thank you for these reflections and thoughts!
    Precepts are zazen...and zazen is precepts...
    No-practice-practice/no enlightenment-enlightenment...here and now...beyond here and now!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT&LAH.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    Lovely mate. Hope to join the club next time around the sun
    You're already here, mate...indeed!
    Only we too can't wait for you to make it, as Bion just said, "OFFICIAL"...
    And that will be one huge honour for us all!
    Soon, mate, soon!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT&LAH.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

That was beautiful, Bion. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you to all for your lovely replies and encouragement. I felt like replying to each one individually would just flood the forum with one line messages and I’m sure there’s much more useful stuff to read. But you all know I love you

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Follow the path,
    hand in hand,
    connected in the invisible,
    One journey,
    One love
    You, me, us
    One

Gasshō
    Seiga

SatToday

Deep bows, Bion. This was beautiful to read and made me think more about my own relationship to the precepts.

Gassho,
    Hensho

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by Hensho View Post
    Deep bows, Bion. This was beautiful to read and made me think more about my own relationship to the precepts.

Gassho,
    Hensho

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Thank you very much

Sat Today
    Bion

Thank you for your practice, Bion.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Beautifully expressed Bion.

Gassho,
    Seibu
    Sattoday/lah