Thread: The 27th of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The 27th of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

Gate Twenty Seven
    Read the following, place it in your heart and sleep on it. Then, tomorrow, live it until evening when you can leave a brief comment on what you may have received during the process.

The Three Devotions* are a gate of Dharma illumination; for they purify the three evil worlds**.

* Devotion to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha
    ** the worlds of hell, hungry spirits, and animals all represent conditions of suffering

By “Dharma Gate”, we mean a teaching or practice we can study to gain insights into the deepening our practice. It's a way to integrate our understanding of approaching reality.

Koan:
    "When we become Buddhists, we first make repentance and take refuge in the Three Treasures. These refuges are the first three of the sixteen precepts we receive in the Japanese Soto Zen tradition established by Dogen Zenji. Without these three there is no Buddhism.
    ⦁ I take refuge in the Buddha, vowing with all sentient beings, acquiring the Great Way, awakening the unsurpassable mnd.
    ⦁ I take refuge in the Dharma, vowing with all sentient beings, deeply entering the teaching, wisdom like the sea.
    ⦁ I take refuge in the Sangha, vowing with all sentient beings, bringing harmony to all, completely without hindrance.
    Buddha didn't teach us to take refuge in a deity beyond this phenominal world. He taught us to find refuge within this world, within ourselves. This is the basic teaching of the Buddha and a difference between Buddhism and other religions."

Recommeded Reading: Okumura Roshi's 'Living by Vow', Chpt. 3

Most note worthy replies :
    I am so filled
    With the business of these Jewels
    I have no time for evil.

When all else is dark, when evil seems to consume the world, we need only turn to the Three Jewels to light our way forward.

Brightest of all stars—
    Luminous
    Are the Three Jewels

合掌
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-15-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Juki
    sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Thank you Shokai

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

So swept up in today's festivities I almost forgot to report back.

Devotion to the Buddha; the part of You who is so precious. With this in mind, I can speak no evil to or of You.
    Devotion to the Dharma; We are all seeds of the Dharma. So let us be planted so that we may grow into medicine for suffering.
    Devotion to the Sangha; We are all part of one Sangha, how could I seek to take that which you have?

Gassho,
    Nengyoku
    Sat
    Thank you for being the warmth in my world.

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/