Thread: January 14th-15th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Just Before Jukai ...

January 14th-15th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Just Before Jukai ...

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-21-2022 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Added youtube one-way link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Can I be there Jundo? I would like to be able to repay with silence because I am just doing a straight and I can now sit for up to 40 minutes and I have nothing to prove to… I don’t want to lose your trust. I’ll be there.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Can I be there Jundo? I would like to be able to repay with silence because I am just doing a straight and I can now sit for up to 40 minutes and I have nothing to prove to… I don’t want to lose your trust. I’ll be there.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    You are more than welcome if you feel able.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Lovely and as always, a joy to be together!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Zoom and Youtube are ready to help us sit together.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I am so happy to relearn the true meaning of love in our precepts which are always the precepts of the Buddhist world, sometimes the same, sometimes faintly different.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sometimes I am not loving and I can always make amends and start over with the Buddhist Precepts.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

See you all tonight

Gasso,

Ippo

SatLah

Congratulations Sekishi. I’ll be at Jukai in room two with my good clothes on. I won’t make tonight because of arthritis.
    Gassho
    deep bows
    sat/ lah

Last edited by Tai Shi; 01-14-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Thank you all for the practice and thank you Jundo for your always very inspirig words!
    There is one quote from the chapter Shoaku Makusa in the Shobogenzo that stuck very deep into my heart since the first time I read it, and says (roughly, for I don't remind the exact wording, also depends on which translation, but the sense is...): "If the teaching doesn't begin with 'Abstain from doing harm" (Shoaku Makusa) it is not the teaching of the Buddhas'".

Simply beautiful...and to always keep it in mind, I think.

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT&LAH.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

By the way, our videos temporarily disappeared it seems ... but they are still available on youtube ...

https: //youtu.be/I6RXz1qHj0A

[just take out the space after the colon : ]

... so hopefully they will be back here shortly ...

Gassho, J

Thank you everyone for your presence, efforts and dedication, and it was as usual a pleasure spending the Friday night with you.
    Jundo, I always end up inspired and motivated after zazenkai, in spite of the sleepiness and late hour, so thank you for your teaching. I cherish it
    @Sekishi , you are a treasure.

Sat Today
    Last edited by Bion; 01-15-2022 at 03:25 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Wonderful Zazenkai

Thank you Sekishi, and deep appreciation for the talk, Jundo.

Thank you everyone for your practice --- it inspires my own in so many ways.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    By the way, our videos temporarily disappeared it seems ... but they are still available on youtube ...

https: //youtu.be/I6RXz1qHj0A

[just take out the space after the colon : ]

... so hopefully they will be back here shortly ...
    I do not understand why this is. I can embed the videos on other site (even copying the exact embed tag from our forum) and everything works fine. Its late, so I'll look at this more in the morning.

Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I do not understand why this is. I can embed the videos on other site (even copying the exact embed tag from our forum) and everything works fine. Its late, so I'll look at this more in the morning.
    After testing in a few different browsers, it may be a youtube problem. It seems to only be videos that were livestreamed (videos simply uploaded directly still work fine). And videos still work fine in some browsers.

For example, livestreamed videos work for me in:

- Chromium / Linux
    - Chrome / Linux
    - Edge / Windows 10
    - Firefox (91 LTS) / Linux

Videos do NOT work for me in:

- Chrome / Windows 10
    - Firebox / Windows 10
    - Firefox (96) / Linux
    - Mobile Safari / iOS

My best guess right now is that Youtube is having some sort of codec hiccup. Fingers crossed that things will magically fix themselves when some code monkey at Youtube realizes there is a problem.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Many systems are using downloaded Windows 11. Anything to do with that?
    Gassho
    sat / lah

I did not attend because of arthritis and my pain. My heart is always open to life and silence. My friends, I was there in heart and mind. Thank everyone. Thank you Jundo.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

It was wonderful to sit with all of you!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

That was very lovely! Thank you everyone.
    The talk was deep and moving. Thank you Jundo.

Deep bows
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you everyone! See you all tomorrow
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Just sat offline, thanks everyone! Unfortunately a 2am start is just too brutal when I have a 3 year old getting up at 6, I'll try and make it at least once a month to a live one anyway though :}

Gassho, Neil
    ./sat

Quote Originally Posted by houst0n View Post
    Just sat offline, thanks everyone! Unfortunately a 2am start is just too brutal when I have a 3 year old getting up at 6, I'll try and make it at least once a month to a live one anyway though :}

Gassho, Neil
    ./sat
    You don't have to do so. I would rather that you get a good night's sleep, sit with us later while dropping thought of time and distance ... then use the extra energy to play with your kids.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you everyone, see you tomorrow!

p.s.: on Safari/MacOS, the availability of the embedded video keeps changing throughout the day.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I just imagine that, at Youtube or vBulletin or somewhere, some poor guy was called into work on his weekend to try to fix this glitch with some new script or something, on his day off.

Let us dedicate out Zazen today to all such folks.

Gassho, J

STLah

I just imagine that, at Youtube or vBulletin or somewhere, some poor guy was called into work on his weekend to try to fix this glitch with some new script or something, on his day off.

Let us dedicate out Zazen today to all such folks.

Gassho, J

STLah
    As someone who spent many years having to pick up that phone, this sums things up rather nicely: http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Tonight's zazen is for all the SRE's!

Gassho, N
    ./sat

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning

Wonderful talk on the Precepts and Jukai today. There is a certain amount of excitement in sewing a Rakusu and taking Jukai. The real work though is applying the Precepts to our daily lives. Thank you to all our new Jukaiees. Thank you for your commitment to this practice and to the Precepts.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I'm 99% sure this was a code monkey at Youtube. Last night I set up a test environment that embedded a number of our videos using different embed methods (how vBulletin does it, how youtube recommends, using different autoplay settings, etc.) on a local server (e.g. no vBulletin involved).

As of about a half hour ago, this environment now displays videos on all browsers I can test with. So ... thank you anonymous code monkey. Sleep well now.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat #lah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I'm 99% sure this was a code monkey at Youtube. Last night I set up a test environment that embedded a number of our videos using different embed methods (how vBulletin does it, how youtube recommends, using different autoplay settings, etc.) on a local server (e.g. no vBulletin involved).

As of about a half hour ago, this environment now displays videos on all browsers I can test with. So ... thank you anonymous code monkey. Sleep well now.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi #sat #lah
    Hmmm. I still show them as unavailable in this thread. Should I clear my cache or something??

Gassho, J

STLah

Hmmm. I still show them as unavailable in this thread. Should I clear my cache or something??

Gassho, J

STLah
    A shift-reload was all it took for me. They are still working for me in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

If for some reason they are not working for you perhaps YouTube just hasn’t fixed things for your specific browser / OS combination yet.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone and congrats to all who took Jukai.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart