Thread: The 22nd of 108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

The 22nd of 108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

Gate Twenty two
    Read the following, place it in your heart and sleep on it. Then, tomorrow, live it until evening when you can leave a brief comment on what you may have received during the process.

Repentance is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] the mind within is stilled.

By “Dharma Gate”, we mean a teaching or practice we can study to gain insights into the deepening our practice. It's a way to integrate our understanding of approaching reality.

The Koan:
    "Traditionally there are two kinds of Repentance in Buddhism. One is a formal repentance, called Ji-sange*, which is made at a Sangha meeting called Uposatha ( or Fusatsu - Jp) held twice a month on new or full moon days. The other is a formless repentance caled ri-sange*. Sitting in Zazen and letting go of thoughts is formless repentance."

An important verse of Repentance found in the Smanthabadra Sutra expresses formles repentance and repentance of true reality:
    The ocean of all karmic hindrances
    arises solely from delusive thoughts.
    If you wish to make repentance,
    sit in upright position and be mindful of the true reality.
    All misdemeanors, like frost and dew,
    are melted away in the sun of wisdom.**

Japanes Soto Zen master, Banjin Dotan (1698-1775) had this to say about that:

"The essence of repentance is that delusion and enlightenment, or living beings and Buddhas, are one. Because of this, a person who practices repentance is endowed with all virtue.... Repentance is another name for the Three Treasures. To repent is to take refuge in the Three Treasures......
    We are however, able to attain liberation within delusion. We could say that before delusions leave, true reality has arrived. That is what is meant by the expression "Before the donkey leaves, the horse has arrived." We shoud learn that repentance is none other than the Dharma, the practice of the Buddha's awakening."

* "Ji and ri are important concepts in Chinese Buddhism. Ji refers to the relative, conventional, phenomenal and formal level, whereas ri refers to the absolute, supreme. total and formless level."

** "This is a translation by Okumura Roshi from Busso-Shoden (Essence of Buddha Ancestors' Authentically TransmittedZen Precepts),Taisho, vol 82, no.1601. [Note 35 pg 259 Living by Vow.]

- Recommended reading: Chpt.2, Living by Vow. by Shohaku Okumura roshi

Most note worthy replies :
    It never ceases to amaze me how dwelling on past actions is like stirring a pot of old soup. The same same mushy carrots keep coming to the surface...
    Opening the cage
    Of the past
    We walk free and clear
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-11-2022 at 02:25 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you Shokai.

For my practice I’ve found it useful to recite the Verse of Atonement before bed each night. It gives me a chance to reflect on my words, thoughts, and actions of the day and hopefully see opportunities to do better.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 01-11-2022 at 12:17 PM.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Juki
    sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

For what should I repent?
    For not saying "I love you" loudly enough?
    For not thinking "I hate you" quietly enough?
    For saying, for thinking.
    Just sit.

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah

Sengtsan asked Huike, saying, "I am diseased: I implore you to cleanse me of my sin."

Huike said, "Bring me your sin and I will cleanse you of it."

Sengtsan thought awhile; then said, "I cannot get at it."

Huike replied, "Then I have cleansed you"

- Dentoruku, Part 3 ( Transmission of the lamp)

Gassho,

Greg
    ST

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)