Thread: Jan. 7-8th, 2022 - Special Treeleaf Zazenkai Honoring Mitchell Doshin Cantor Roshi

Jan. 7-8th, 2022 - Special Treeleaf Zazenkai Honoring Mitchell Doshin Cantor Roshi

Dear All,

Please join our SPECIAL MEMORIAL ZAZENKAI in honor of someone who was my friend and teacher of many years, Rev. Mitchell Doshin Cantor of the White Plum, who left our visible world this past week.

Our Zazenkai will gather for 90 minutes, from 10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning here:

Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Doshin, a Dharma heir of Madeline Ko-i Bastis and student of Zen priest and author Peter Muryo Matthiessen in Maezumi Roshi's White Plum Lineage, was my adopted Zen father when I returned to America from time to time from Japan. I started to come back to America for three or four months at a time some years ago because my real mother was sick at the time, and found a home with Mitch's group. When I was ordained, Mitch taught me so much about bowing, incense lighting, chanting ... the basics that a priest has to know. Doshin was the inspiration behind the Treeleaf Zendo, because for several years I was able to watch the many ways he nurtured a Sangha and kept it going week by week, moment by moment, year by year. So much of what Mitch brought to the Southern Palm Zen Group in Florida which he founded, I sought to bring here ... from the atmosphere of open questioning to the way we do our Retreats and how we study for Jukai and conduct that ceremony next week. If not sure what to do, I usually ask myself, 'What would Doshin do?'

Doshin also founded The Prison Outreach Project which brought meditation practices into the Florida Prison System to help inmates find their inner freedom. He devoted his life to helping others. Mitchell had a passion for photography. You can view his exceptional work online at: www.ListeningWithTheEye.com

Doshin was a font of wisdom ... listening to one of his talks, as I link to here ...

... is like listening to a great Jazz musician. Unlike Zen teachers in Japan, Western teachers will often reach into a variety of sources and traditions, both 'Buddhist' and not. It is difficult to do while yet staying on course as a Zen Teacher, not becoming lost in an eclectic, New Agey mess. Mitch, a walking encyclopedia of Wisdom writings, showed how this can be done right. Never losing his diamond focus on our Zen tradition, he would pull into his talks Tibetans, Hindus, Jewish Mystics, Sufi Masters, Babe Ruth and Groucho Marx, ranging from home life to the farthest star. Doshin introduced me to something very much present in Western Buddhism but sorely lacking in Japan ... immersion in diverse ideas and an attitude of constant questioning (Students tend not to ask many questions of Teachers in Japan, and just to listen and observe. That is certainly --not-- the case in the West).

To mark Rev. Doshin's passing, we shall chant today the SHARIRAIMON (Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics) (first in Japanese, then in English, then in Japanese again ... the words are below if you wish to follow along) ... following our recital of the Heart Sutra in English and according to the schedule below.

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English), SHARIRAIMON, and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

Is-shin cho rai
    man toku en man
    ◎ sha ka nyo rai
    shin jin sha ri
    hon ji hos-shin
    hok-kai to ba
    ga to rai kyo
    i ga gen snin
    nyu ga ga nyu
    butsu ga ji ko
    ga sho bo dai
    i butsu jin riki
    ri yaku shu jo
    ● hotsu bo dai shin
    shu bo satsu gyo
    do nyu en jaku
    ● byo do dai chi
    kon jo cho rai

With/ whole/heart/ed/ gra/ti/tude/ we/ bow/
    to/ the/ re/lics/ still/ pre/sent of/ the/ True/ Bo/dy/[*] of/ the/ Ta/tha/ga/ta/ Sha/kya/mu/ni,/
    who/ is/ ful/ly/ en/dowed/ with/ my/ri/ad/ vir/tues;/
    to/ the/ Dhar/ma/ Bo/dy/ which/ is/ Truth/ it/self;/
    and/ to/ the/ whole/ u/ni/verse/ which/ is/ his/ Stu/pa./
    With/ deep/ res/pect/ we/ ve/ner/ate/ the/ One/
    who /lived/ his/ life/ for/ the/ sake/ of/ all/ be/ings./
    Though/ the/ sus/ten/ance/ of/ Bud/dha,/ the/ Truth/
    en/ters/ us/ and/ we/ en/ter/ Truth./
    Let/ us/ strive/ to/ be/ne/fit/ all/ li/ving/ be/ings,/[*] a/rouse/ the/ thought/ of/ A/wa/ken/ing,/
    cul/ti/vate/ Bod/hi/sat/tva/ Prac/tice,/
    and/ to/ge/ther/ en/ter/ Per/fect/ Peace,/[*] the/ pen/e/tra/tion/ of/ the/ e/qua/li/ty/ of/ all/ things./
    Now/ let/ us/ re/ver/ent/ly/ bow.

Nine Bows, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-08-2022 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Added one-way youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Youtube and Zoom are ready to go!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Youtube and Zoom are ready to go!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Vroom vroom! Phasers locked on zazen. Sekishi, 1 for beam up!

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Aw man, I can't believe I missed two weeks in a row plus a lot of sits with you guys since the first, this house buying with the wife is taking a lot of time from me, I hope it ends soon, sorry guys I hope you know it's not me intentionally. Hoping to get back on track soon. Both this week and last were important to me.

Gassho
    Heitou
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Thanks a lot Doshin Roshi for teaching Jundo to fly...so he teaches us now...may we also be able to teach others to fly instead, so that generation after generation, we will all meet (here and now) flying free on the other (no-other) shore (no-shore).

Thank you all for the practice.

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

Thanks to everyone, (and my first live Zazenkai) sorry I couldn't stick around for tea but it's almost 4am here.

Which reminds me, I should be in bed.

Have a great weekend!

Zzzz

Gassho,

Neil

./sat+lah

Quote Originally Posted by Heitou View Post
    Aw man, I can't believe I missed two weeks in a row plus a lot of sits with you guys since the first, this house buying with the wife is taking a lot of time from me, I hope it ends soon, sorry guys I hope you know it's not me intentionally. Hoping to get back on track soon. Both this week and last were important to me.

Gassho
    Heitou
    SatToday
    It definitely felt like you were there

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah

Lovely talk, Jundo. Many thanks to your wonderful mentor. Thank you, everyone.

-stlah
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

... house buying with the wife is taking a lot of time from me
    Oh, that is a Zen practice all its own. Good hunting.

May your house soon be a warm home.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Sat with you all a little off schedule. Lovely words, zazen and company.

Gassho,
    Charity
    sat&lah

Thank you Mitchell Doshin Cantor.

Deep bows,
    Kotei sat today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone! Thank you Doshin for guiding Treeleaf

Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Deep bows,
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Lovely ceremony. Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Thank you Mitchell Doshin Cantor for all you brought to this visible world. Thank you for being a mentor to Jundo and thus a mentor to all of us here at Treeleaf.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Gratitude for your teachers, Jundo, and gratitude for your teaching.

Naiko
    st

I think appreciation of other people's guidance, time and presence is such a powerful practice. Thanks for the talk, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Sat, Lah,
    Guish.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Many thanks to Doshin for the large part of the whole he contributed so that Treeleaf could become what it is today

Excellent talk. Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Aw man, I can't believe I missed two weeks in a row plus a lot of sits with you guys since the first, this house buying with the wife is taking a lot of time from me, I hope it ends soon, sorry guys I hope you know it's not me intentionally.
    For good "practice opportunities", I also recommend building a house.

May the process come to a speedy and positive conclusion for you both.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo and thanks for your teachers.

Doshin
    St

Wonderful to sit this. Thank you all!

Gassho,

Ippo

SatLh

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Completed on demand this morning.

A wonderful eulogy Jundo. Sat for Doshin Roshi and those no longer with us but always with us.

Heitou, house moves are also good practice. I am sure you will soon be back to your regular practice.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you, Jundo, everyone who sat, and Roshi Mitch Cantor for all that her shared.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Last edited by Kokuu; 01-11-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Nenka
    ST