Thread: The 18th of108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

The 18th of108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

Gate Eighteen
    Read the following, place it in your heart and sleep on it. Then, tomorrow, live it until evening when you can leave a brief comment on what you may have received during the process.

Reflection on inconstancy is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we reflect upon the desires of the triple world.

By “Dharma Gate”, we mean a teaching or practice we can study to gain insights into the deepening our practice. It's a way to integrate our understanding of approaching reality.

The Koan:
    "People call me Homeless Kodo, but I don't think they particularly intend to disparage me.They say "homeless" probably because I never had a temple or owned a house. Antway, all human beings without exception are in reality homeless. It's a mistake to think we have a solid home."
    -The Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo 1 pg 13

Most note worthy replies :
    This is a good one. Certainly our practice requires a certain amount of reflection. The key is to make sure that reflection doesn’t turn into obsession and dwelling on what was.

I often think about the need for constancy--in practice, in diet, in exercise, in work, in...-- constancy or consistency is what helps us to meet the inconstant.

Leaf upon the wind
    So pretty
    But where will it land?

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you Shokai

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Solid ground is a delusion. Beneath the ground there is rock, always slowly shifting and grinding and trembling. And beneath the rock there is fire.

Gassho
    Juki
    sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Juki View Post
    And beneath the rock there is fire.

Gassho
    Juki
    sat today and lah
    And even this is impermanent, for one day the core of the earth will cool and solidify.
    If even the very earth is impermanent, then where to lay the foundations of a home?
    Only the three treasures are sturdy ground; and yet, even the Sangha grows and changes, the Dharma grows and changes, the Buddha awakens anew with each moment of enlightenment.

Better to be homeless and awake, than your roof fall in while you sleep.

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah

without expectance
    even chaos we awaked
    finds peace with itself

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi