Thread: A Short Film: Treeleaf's Differently-Abled Ancestors Lineage Recitation

A Short Film: Treeleaf's Differently-Abled Ancestors Lineage Recitation

Dear All,

Our Treeleaf Sangha is inviting other Zen Sangha (without much success so far) to introduce a short ceremony of recognition of our Zen "Differently-Abled" Ancestors of the past, a symbolic lineage of individuals who faced great obstacles to, or were shut out from, Ordination in past centuries due to mental and physical disabilities. In fact, the Soto Zen Buddhist establishment, in Japan, the Americas and Europe, still makes it very difficult for individuals with health and physical limitations to receive training and recognition as full Priests in Soto Zen, a very real and ongoing form of discrimination that continues to be ignored by organizations such as the Soto Zen Buddhist Association in North America (to which I belong), the Soto-shu in Japan and others.

In our Ceremony in the following short film, taken from our recent Rohatsu Retreat here at Treeleaf, the two priests presiding (our Kokuu and Jinkan) have severe health issues. As we read the "Differently-Abled Ancestors Lineage Recitation," the two priests need to perform the ceremony in a seated position, substituting hand gestures for the normal movement to the Altar and prostrations (the Zagu is raised to the head in place of prostrations). The Doan (Kokuu) recites a list of individuals from Buddhist history who, like the priests who are meeting the same obstacles today, were shut out of the Sangha or had obstacles thrown up to keep them out. All our able bodied Sangha members then "recline" a period of Zazen in support and fellowship with our disabled members, as shown at the end of the following video.

Of the two priests shown in the ceremony, Kokuu, who is leading the chanting, has a debilitating illness which keeps him in bed and rarely able to leave his apartment many days, while the Doshi (Jinkan) performing the Ceremony, shown outlined in the gold box, has Stage 4 Cancer and is presently undergoing Chemo Therapy.

I hope that one or both can someday be recognized more widely as excellent Soto Zen Priests despite the demands of some Soto Zen organizations for types of physical training that are impossible for both.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Sorry to run long.

PS - By the way, some folks have asked about our use of "differently-abled" vs. "disabled." When we began to use the term, we researched carefully on preferred terminology in Japan, Europe, North and South America, as well as among different groups and sub-groups. We found no uniformity about this and, in fact, disabled individuals and groups telling us completely opposite opinions. So, we have decided to use all such terminology.
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-31-2021 at 03:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This ceremony was wonderful and so beautifully done. I'm grateful for Kokuu and Jinkan for their efforts and service—and Treeleaf for being at the forefront of such a ceremony.

I hope that one or both can someday be recognized more widely as excellent Soto Zen Priests
    They both certainly are.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Nothing comes to mind other than metta and a deep sense of appreciation

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Doshin
    St

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

“…doors flung open, halls unbarred.”

Naiko
    st lah

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Not to shortchange Jinkan in any way, but I don't know them personally, so I cannot speak from personal experience. Deep Bows to Jinkan in honor and respect of your path and excellent example.

Kokuu has been a mentor and good friend to me for a few years, and I want to speak to the serious lack of visibility and recognition in traditional Buddhist world concerning acknowledgement of Buddhists with chronic illness and disabilities.

I told my family just last week that one of many reasons why Treeleaf is so special in my life, is because "all of this" (the physical mess that I am) is generally not an obstacle to what I do with Treeleaf. I've been extremely sick and still reclined, reclined and posted, participated in various events at all hours of the day/night/in-between. I've done lots of research and work on projects here at very strange times, and for hours at a time -- all brain work with a broken body. And also lots of sitting in the FSR and with hours of recorded Zazenkai -- because it lets me know that I am not alone, and it helps to take my mind off how I'm feeling sometimes. Then Covid hit me .... still did not stop me, not at Treeleaf.

Why do I mention this? Because if it hadn't been for Kokuu's friendship and powerful influence in my life, watching Kokuu's practice around his limitations, daily life with illness, family, etc., I would not be doing most of what I do now. I wouldn't know it was possible, allowed, even normal! Kokuu has normalized this way of life -- at least for me -- and has helped me to live the Soto Zen way of life with chronic illness in a way that my family has adjusted to also. He has set an example that I will always aspire to reach -- and I know in Soto Zen there is no reaching, no goal, no achieving. But this is the good kind, a different kind. It is so very easy, when living with incurable illness, to fall into depression, to tip over that edge, unless we can work that mindset around and understand that we are more than our physical selves and use our self/non-self (the riddle that is Zen!) for a better purpose. Then what we are "achieving" with our disability is truly the embodiment of the four vows. In refocusing our own mindset and learning to think differently -- accommodating and modifying everything we do -- we are also influencing and helping others in similar ways, and the Compassionate Way spreads.

Everything I have attempted at Treeleaf, all that I have considered, the goals I have set, what I continue to work towards -- I would not have, especially with my "complicated mess" (as my family calls it), had it not been for Kokuu's extraordinary example of what is possible. I promise I'm not turning him into a saint , but it is very hard to find good role models, mentors, friends who are walking the same special path you are, in an environment (in Buddhism and in life) that refuses to recognize your existence or even acknowledge that you have a voice.

When organizations do not recognize the excellence, talents, and skills in priests like Jinkan and Kokuu, they are also disregarding the populations that these two priests have influenced, taught, guided, and led. This is a most serious discrimination and must be challenged.

I apologize for my very long post. I felt compelled to speak a bit, from long personal experience, and with deep gratitude and respect.

Deep Bows,
    meian stlh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Nicely said Meian

Doshin
    St

Meian

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Meian

Deep Bows,
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Yes, Meian...you are perfectly right:

THIS SANGHA, ITS PRIESTS, UNSUIS, TEACHERS, MENTORS, BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE DHARMA ARE SIMPLY MOST SPECIAL AND AWESOMELY BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you, Treeleaf for all the compassionate service you are sharing to and for this WHOLE world, past, present and future!

Gassho.
    HOkin.
    SAT.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

Lovely ceremony. So thankful for this sangha and the ever present emphasis on inclusivity and forward thinking

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Feeling very grateful for this Sangha right now. Thank you to Jundo, Kokuu, Jinkan and all of Treeleaf for making a space where all people are invited to practice together no matter what abilities. Meian thank you for sharing your experiences and feelings, your post earned its length and helps connect us all.

Gassho and deep bows
    Charity
    sat

Wonderful Meian, thank you for sharing

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Nenka
    ST

Seibu
    Sattoday/lah

Thank you, Jundo, Kokuu, Jinkan, for this video and service for differently abled practice. The inclusiveness benefits all members. Thank you, Meian, for sharing your experience of Treeleaf.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 01-04-2022 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Misspelling
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Wonderful project, and beautiful words, Meian!

-stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    Not to shortchange Jinkan in any way, but I don't know them personally, so I cannot speak from personal experience. Deep Bows to Jinkan in honor and respect of your path and excellent example.

Kokuu has been a mentor and good friend to me for a few years, and I want to speak to the serious lack of visibility and recognition in traditional Buddhist world concerning acknowledgement of Buddhists with chronic illness and disabilities.

I told my family just last week that one of many reasons why Treeleaf is so special in my life, is because "all of this" (the physical mess that I am) is generally not an obstacle to what I do with Treeleaf. I've been extremely sick and still reclined, reclined and posted, participated in various events at all hours of the day/night/in-between. I've done lots of research and work on projects here at very strange times, and for hours at a time -- all brain work with a broken body. And also lots of sitting in the FSR and with hours of recorded Zazenkai -- because it lets me know that I am not alone, and it helps to take my mind off how I'm feeling sometimes. Then Covid hit me .... still did not stop me, not at Treeleaf.

Why do I mention this? Because if it hadn't been for Kokuu's friendship and powerful influence in my life, watching Kokuu's practice around his limitations, daily life with illness, family, etc., I would not be doing most of what I do now. I wouldn't know it was possible, allowed, even normal! Kokuu has normalized this way of life -- at least for me -- and has helped me to live the Soto Zen way of life with chronic illness in a way that my family has adjusted to also. He has set an example that I will always aspire to reach -- and I know in Soto Zen there is no reaching, no goal, no achieving. But this is the good kind, a different kind. It is so very easy, when living with incurable illness, to fall into depression, to tip over that edge, unless we can work that mindset around and understand that we are more than our physical selves and use our self/non-self (the riddle that is Zen!) for a better purpose. Then what we are "achieving" with our disability is truly the embodiment of the four vows. In refocusing our own mindset and learning to think differently -- accommodating and modifying everything we do -- we are also influencing and helping others in similar ways, and the Compassionate Way spreads.

Everything I have attempted at Treeleaf, all that I have considered, the goals I have set, what I continue to work towards -- I would not have, especially with my "complicated mess" (as my family calls it), had it not been for Kokuu's extraordinary example of what is possible. I promise I'm not turning him into a saint , but it is very hard to find good role models, mentors, friends who are walking the same special path you are, in an environment (in Buddhism and in life) that refuses to recognize your existence or even acknowledge that you have a voice.

When organizations do not recognize the excellence, talents, and skills in priests like Jinkan and Kokuu, they are also disregarding the populations that these two priests have influenced, taught, guided, and led. This is a most serious discrimination and must be challenged.

I apologize for my very long post. I felt compelled to speak a bit, from long personal experience, and with deep gratitude and respect.

Deep Bows,
    meian stlh
    Just felt the need to show my support as many others have. This is beautiful, Meian. Your words illuminate why sangha is so precious; one of the three jewels

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

As a lay member, I made it clear from beginning at I treeleaf made clear no usuri for me, have great friends, two know me well, one knows me very well; in talking over usuri, he would know, I still prefer lay membership. Too old, difficult with bipolar and AS, now problems with vision, just too demanding.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Beautiful. Thankyou.

sat & lah

To you specifically Meian my immediate family, Marjorie and daughter Laurel applaud my Soto Zen Buddhism. Since undertaking the precepts I have become much less angry and more hopeful. Laurel who has lived much of the last 12 years in Japan often explains Buddhism. Marjorie made my rakusu cover to pattern from scraps of cloth in her sewing box. My brother has no comment, I said nothing to my father he would object pointing out I would go to “hell.” All my relatives other than my brother. Marjorie. Laurel. Would hit the ceiling with defamation and condemnation. I keep my beautiful practice from them. As for our Dis- ability priests and women and folks of other than Caucasian in Europe and North America, and the folks who cannot read and write, there are always the deep concern I have for us I was caught off guard with Ubasoku because I felt unworthy. After my brain surgeon more than my Ankylosing Spondylitis and bipolar disorder sands in the way of priesthood. My memory has been damaged and will never be restored. Since surgery 3 months ago I have read 8 books, several very difficult, and writing much better now than at the beginning of the convalescence. I see our two dis-abbled priests and our women priest as examples. I have come to know Kokuu as a dear friends friend who became a friend before a priest in training, and he has been a confident and reassuring friend. And he can vouch that I am more committed to learning since surgery because doctors told me I might need extra help. There was a time I did not make my reading goals of two books while Kokuu’s Ango partner. Now I am more concerned and committed learning than ever an an accomplished poet in our midst has complimented my most recent poetry. I am sure I would never be certified as a priest internationally but I am an intelligent and sensitive man. Thank you our exemplary priests in training. And to our newest friends who soon will be ordained thank goodness you are who you are: always faithful and truly grateful for your kindness.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Taishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro to
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-02-2022 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    ... I am sure I would never be certified as a priest internationally but I am an intelligent and sensitive man. ...
    If one stays focused in one's practice on service to others, anything is possible with time. Ordination is always a role of service, a heading downward, becoming a servant. Intelligence is not important, but a heart which is sincere and dedicated to the Bodhisattva Vows is key. That is most important around our Sangha.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-02-2022 at 03:09 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Tell me to say I’m sorry and mean it. Thank goodness love my daughter and beautiful Marjorie.They are miracles I was told by the chief resident psychiatrist at Broad lawns Polk County Hospital I would never have my education was never supposed to be, my greatest dream at age 18, to be an MFA in creative writing. I am happy and grateful I made it. Without my surgery I hadn’t any chance of living beyond 77, now I will. In spite of the pain I will live beyond 82 and look back to say it’s all worth it. Already I it’s worth it and I am only 70, 70 is a symbol to the women and men who won’t make it beyond 50. I am a man who lives with a serious mental disorder that crippling mental disorder of bipolar one. Yet I taught English and Rhetoric at colleges and universities. All my life is an example that says, “You can have a mental illness and live to 70.” I want there to be a day when the truth comes out that those of us who live daily and plod to work, to have children, to live life in your own rooms. And do this at the age of 70 and beyond. To absolutely pleed an beg and do what it takes to get what some and all people deserve. Life, to live out the old universal truths of the human heart, the absolute incredible truth to life and life for humanity for all of humanity, not just the “sane of humanity who conduct war and destroy the earth in the name of weaknesses” as they turn onto things that are actually important. Loving kindness, compassion wisdom, generosity an understanding, lasting wisdom and friendship with you and me unconditionally helping those people with a mental health and physical condition impeccably understood beyond drug companies and social workers and doctors and especially Therapists who have a doctorate, or who curtail the lives of those they serve in the man or women to treat their patients with dignity and freedom and true support , not hidden ideology but trust and understanding not educated people who disabled those people who are in need, so we will live together with all equality all care and kindness for our thankful grace. Even though I hurt saying I don’t hurt isn’t the answer.
    Gassho
    Taishi
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-02-2022 at 04:00 AM.

And I am learning to be soft and gentle with you my heart is open, open up and be myself with wonderful things gracious and lovingly kind. I want above all to be kind to you and to me, and all races, all religion and all disabilities, years of marriage is not a dream, but a beautiful reality. Yes I am learning about loving kindness. This is what the Buddha says and is loving kindness for every atom, every subatomic particle. Especially all sentient beings and not to treat people with disabilities as numbered subjects. We are all with dignity with and without diagnosis can be good with the possibility of being good. Let me know I am a person and then a dignified patient and treated with medication and medicine that works. Research those diseases which seem difficult to diagnose and difficult to treat and understand. Okay thanks I love you all and ask my teacher Jundo lol I love language and language is our medium. Sorry for taking too much computer space.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Taishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 02-02-2022 at 04:10 PM.