Thread: Our 2021-2022 NEW YEAR's EVE 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI- CELEBRATING A NEW THIS MOMENT!

Our 2021-2022 NEW YEAR's EVE 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI- CELEBRATING A NEW THIS MOMENT!

Spanning Two Years!

PLEASE JOIN US TO CELEBRATE A ROARING
    'YEAR OF THE TIGER'!

(Bodhidharma and Tiger, by Yang Hui)
    https://www.inkdancechinesepaintings...ang-hui_1.html

Today's Talk will reflect on
    More Magical Happenings from the Vimalakirti Sutra

(text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo

Last edited by Sekishi; 12-31-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Added one-way youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Pull up a chair for a little reading of a magical tale, as Vimalakirti arranges the furniture ... Chapter 6: BEYOND COMPREHENSION ...

~~~~~~~~

At that time Shariputra, observing that there were no seats in Vimalakirti's room, thought to himself: "All these bodhisattvas and major disciples-where are they going to sit?"

The rich man Vimalakirti, knowing what was in his mind, said to Shariputra, "Did you come here for the sake of the Dharma, or are you just looking for a place to sit?"

"I came for the Dharma, not for a seat!" said Shariputra.

"Ah, Shariputra, a seeker of the Dharma does not seek it through attachment to the Buddha, does not seek it through attachment to the Dharma, does not seek it through attachment to the order. A seeker of the Dharma does not seek it through recognition of suffering, does not seek it through renunciation of attachments, does not seek it through realization of how to end attachments, or through practice of the Way. Why? The Dharma is ultimately without formulation and without verbalization. Who verbalizes: 'Suffering should be recognized, attachments should be eliminated, cessation should be realized, the path should be practiced,' is not interested in the Dharma but is interested in verbalization."

... "Furthermore, reverend Sariputra, the Dharma is without taint and free of defilement. He who is attached to anything, even to liberation, is not interested in the Dharma but is interested in the taint of desire. The Dharma is not an object. He who pursues objects is not interested in the Dharma but is interested in objects. The Dharma is without acceptance or rejection. He who holds on to things or lets go of things is not interested in the Dharma but is interested in holding and letting go. The Dharma is not a secure refuge. He who enjoys a secure refuge is not interested in the Dharma but is interested in a secure refuge. ... "Therefore, Shariputra, if one would be a seeker of the Dharma, one must not seek it in anything at all.""

The rich man Vimalakirti then exercised his transcendental powers and at once that Buddha dispatched thirty-two thousand lion seats, tall, broad, adorned, and pure, and had them brought into Vimalakirti's room, where the bodhisattvas, major disciples, Indras, Brahmas, Four Heavenly Kings and the others saw something they had never seen before. For the room was broad and spacious enough to hold all these thirty-two thousand lion seats without the slightest crowding or hindrance. The city of Vaishali and Jambudvipa and the other of the four continents too seemed in no way cramped or inconvenienced, but all appeared just as usual.

At that time Vimalakirti said to Manjushri, "Sit down in one of the lion seats! The bodhisattvas and other distinguished persons should also sit down, but when they do so they should assume bodies suitable to the size of the seat."

The bodhisattvas who had acquired transcendental powers thereupon immediately transformed their shapes, making themselves forty-two yojanas tall, and sat down in the lion seats.

Shariputra said, "Layman, I have never seen such a thing! A little room like this and still it can hold seats as tall and broad as these! And the city of Vaishali is in no way crowded or obstructed, nor are any of the towns or villages of Jambudvipa or of the other of the four continents cramped or inconvenienced, or the palaces of the heavenly beings, dragon kings and spirits."

Vimalakirti said, "Ah, Shariputra, the Buddhas and bodhisattvas have an emancipation that is called Beyond Comprehension. When a bodhisattva dwells in this emancipation, he can take something as tall and broad as Mount Sumeru and put it inside a mustard seed without enlarging one or shrinking the other, and Mount Sumeru, king of mountains, will still have its original shape. ... Only those destined for enlightenment will be able to see that Sumeru has been put inside a mustard seed. This is called dwelling in the doctrine of the emancipation Beyond Comprehension.

"Or again, this bodhisattva can take the waters of the four great oceans and pour them into the opening that holds a single hair, without the fish, turtles, sea turtles, lizards, or other sea creatures being in any way troubled, and those great seas will still have their original form. And the dragons, spirits, asuras, and others [who live in the sea] will not know or realize where they have gone to, and these beings will not be at all troubled.

... Or, Shariputra, this bodhisattva can ... take all the suns, moon, stars, and constellations that belong to the worlds in the ten directions and make them visible within the pore of a single hair ... "
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-30-2021 at 04:53 AM.

Of course, we welcome this Year of the Tiger with a Growling Hokey Pokey ...

Last edited by Jundo; 12-30-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Like a tiger when she enters the mountain. . .

Gassho,

Greg
    ST

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)

I just found out that my mentor, Doshin Cantor of the White Plum, passed from this visible world yesterday. We will dedicate this Zazenkai to Mitch, and have a special memorial Zazenkai for him next week.

Peace to Mitch and all who loved him.

For Mitch Doshin Cantor,
    who teaches and always inspires all that happens in this Sangha ...

Mitchell Doshin Cantor began Zen studies in 1978 and became a respected Zen Sensei (teacher) in the White Plum lineage. In 1995 he founded the Southern Palm Zen Group and The Prison Outreach Project which brought meditation practices into the Florida Prison System to help inmates find their inner freedom. He devoted his life to helping others. Mitchell had a passion for photography. You can view his exceptional work on online at: ListeningWithTheEye.com.
    Nine Bows, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I just found out that my mentor, Doshin Cantor of the White Plum, passed from this visible world yesterday. We will dedicate this Zazenkai to Mitch, and have a special memorial Zazenkai for him next week.

Nine Bows, J
    May his memory be cherished by those who were touched by his practice and may his life’s work continue to light the way to the dharma for many others. Also, much love to his family and you.

Sat Today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Nine Bows, J

Doshin
    St

Nine Bows, J

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

I will have to sit this one through shifted space time as I have company.

Much metta for Doshin Cantor and all of those who knew him.

Gassho,
    William
    Sat

Nine Bows, J
    Condolences, Jundo. May his memory be a blessing.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Metta, condolences and peace to Jundo and Mitch and all who are feeling his loss

I will likely sit with you all a bit later on YouTube for this one, and hopefully attend the following Zazenkai live. I look forward to hearing about this section about Vimalakirti.

Gassho,
    Charity
    sat

Metta to Doshin Cantor, his loved ones, and to all the lives he touched.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Nine Bows, J
    I'm sorry, Jundo. He is kind of another grandfather to all of us, as your Mentor.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

so sorry for your loss Jundo. May Mitch's memory never fade'

Gasho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Nine Bows, J
    Condolences, Jundo. May his memory and actions continue to be of benefit to all.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Gassho,
    Washin
    StLah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Zoom and youtube are ready to go.

Condolences and Metta to all beings.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Nine Bows, J
    Metta to Doshin Cantor's family and all who are affected by this loss

I will be joining you all this evening up through the first two Zazen periods, but will bow out early so I can spend the evening bringing in the new year with my sweetie.

I will join you all for the talk and hokey pokey over the weekend

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Sorry I can't be there, I am hosting family tonight but I will catch up later. Happy New Year Everyone.

Gassho
    Heitou
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Nine Bows, J
    Much metta for the loss of your mentor, Jundo. May his memory and legacy always be a blessing for us all.

Deep Bows
    meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Ah, William Blake ...

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
    And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
    And Eternity in an hour.

The rest of the poem, well, actually a call for non-violence and being kind to animals!

A Robin Redbreast in a Cage
    Puts all Heaven in a Rage.
    A dove house fill’d with doves and pigeons
    Shudders Hell thro’ all its regions.
    A Dog starv’d at his Master’s Gate
    Predicts the ruin of the State.
    A Horse misus’d upon the Road
    Calls to Heaven for Human blood.
    Each outcry of the hunted Hare
    A fiber from the Brain does tear.

He who shall train the Horse to War
    Shall never pass the Polar Bar.
    The Beggar’s Dog and Widow’s Cat,
    Feed them and thou wilt grow fat.
    The Gnat that sings his Summer song
    Poison gets from Slander’s tongue.
    The poison of the Snake and Newt
    Is the sweat of Envy’s Foot.

More here: https://www.poetryloverspage.com/poe...see_world.html

Maybe I know now why people mostly only quote that first part!

In any case, how the brain makes spacial dimensions, time measures, size measure (anyway, I think that what this is ... ). It is easier to understand Vimalakirti ...

... we found that spatial information is processed in a network of brain regions symmetrically distributed on both hemispheres and that comprises dorsal frontal and parietal regions, pre‐SMA, anterior insula and, to less extent, frontal operculum, and inferior parietal lobule.

The symmetrical distribution evidenced in the omnibus meta‐analysis rules against the idea of a right hemisphere specialization for spatial cognition proposed by past studies (Fink et al., 2000; Halligan, Fink, Marshall, & Vallar, 2003; Marshall & Fink, 2001), at least if we consider the general spatial processing, regardless of the function investigated.

A bilateral dorsal frontoparietal network that includes dorsal premotor regions and frontal eye fields in frontal cortex, and precuneus, superior parietal lobule and intraparietal sulcus in parietal cortex was found commonly activated in all spatial tasks. Although to lesser extent, bilateral activations in ventral frontoparietal network were also found in the inferior frontal gyrus and in inferior parietal lobule.

This pattern of results suggests that the frontoparietal networks support a shared mechanism that is involved in the execution of all spatial functions, rather than being implicated to several task‐specific processes. The challenge is to identify such putative mechanism underlying the spatial functions.

From: Where is the “where” in the brain? A meta‐analysis of neuroimaging studies on spatial cognition
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6865398/
    Also: How does the brain measure time?
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1030210339.htm

The monkeys were trained to move their eyes consistently at regular time intervals without any external cues or immediate expectation of reward. Researchers found that despite the lack of sensory information, the monkeys were remarkably precise and consistent in their timed behaviors. This consistency could be explained by activity in a specific region of the brain called the lateral intraparietal area (LIP). Interestingly, the researchers found that LIP activity during their task was different from activity in previous studies that had failed to eliminate external cues or expectation of reward.

"In contrast to previous studies that observed a build-up of activity associated with the passage of time, we found that LIP activity decreased at a constant rate between timed movements," said lead researcher Geoffrey Ghose, Ph.D., associate professor of neuroscience at the University of Minnesota. "Importantly, the animals' timing varied after these neurons were more, or less, active. It's as if the activity of these neurons was serving as an internal hourglass."

Oh well.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-01-2022 at 02:32 AM.

Thank you everyone - have a wonderful new year. This zazenkai was a perfect way to end one year and begin another.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Good to sit with you all to start the New Year, dear Sangha. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, Shoka and everyone!

Gassho and Happy New Year,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

What a great way to start the New Year!

Thank you Jundo and Thank you dear Sangha for another lovely Zazenkai.
    Thank you Jundo for this '' Magic '' talk and delightful teaching.

May we all and your loved ones be happy, healthy, and free from suffering.

May the New Year Bring Magic and Bright Beginnings.

Happy New Year, Happy Each New Moment Everyone!

In Peace with Nine Bows
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together to practice.

Thank you Shoka for taking the wheel for part of the Zazenkai so I could have a New Year’s Eve meal with family.

Thank you Jundo for the talk (which I’ll have to listen to tomorrow!) and for creating this place for us all.

Thank you to all beings who manifest the great mystery - beautiful even when flawed and confused.

See y’all next year.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I could not have entered 2022 in a better way than with all of you! Thank you all and have a wonderful rest of the evening! Much love to everyone!

Sat Today
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

JohnS
    This was my first Zazenkai, and I loved it. Thank you Jundo, and all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    This was my first Zazenkai, and I loved it. Thank you Jundo, and all of you!
    Oh wow, that is wonderful! Lovely to have sat and danced and learned together!

Sat Today
    Bion

Dick

sat/lah

Gassho,
    Onkai
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

My condolences on the loss of your mentor. I remember we used to do a rinzai chant in his honor during the retreat. /|\

Speaking of remembering, the Love Me Tender oil lamp always makes me smile. I believe there was also a thing that played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?

Happy and Joyful New Year to you all. I look forward to sitting with you more often this year.

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

My condolences Jundo, may his wisdom live long through the people he mentored, including you

Last night, I was celebrating the new year - of course, in a very moderate way like everyone in their 20s. But at the end of the first day of the year, I had a whole night to sit with you. And it is always great to do that, I consider myself very lucky. It's rare indeed to have such a supportive and beautiful Sangha.

2022, 5782 or 1443... I wish every one of you a happy & peaceful year, by all time measurements.

Gassho, Doğukan.
    Sat.

Just finished sitting with you 'one way'...
    First off I want to express solidarity to you, Jundo, for the vanishing of Doshin Cantor...a mentor and a friend to you and, judging for what he did through this world, probably friend and mentor for many, many more!
    May all his dedication and practice bloom ever more within all those who had the opportunity to share this neverending path with him...may it all grow forever.
    Thanks for the talk, Jundo (that was real magic and mindblowing...just like the fact that we are, as of right now, inhaling and exhaling!)...and thanks all the Sangha for your practice and for being this beautiful.

Happy new year.
    May we always sit together throughout spce and time and beyond space and time to that place here and now that is no-place and no-time!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    SAT&LAH.
    法 金
    (Dharma)(Metal)
    Wisdom Is Compassion & Compassion Is Wisdom.

Finished sitting with you all this morning

Wonderful talk, metta verses, and hokey pokey.

Once again, happy new year and deep bows to you all for your practice!

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Beautiful! I spent the afternoon sitting with you all.

Happy New Year!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all. Just finished sitting with you, from even further into the future. I like that we do not need New Year resolutions in Zen because every moment is a new opportunity.

Gassho,
    Charity
    sat

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Finally completed on demand.

Happy New Year everyone. And deep bows to all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart