Thread: How-to Quote a Message

How-to Quote a Message

Often, when a member replies to another member's post, the "reply-er" creates a green box containing the text in the original post to which they are replying. How do I create such a box?

Gassho

Dick

sat/lah

Creating Green box of text

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Often, when a member replies to another member's post, the "reply-er" creates a green box containing the text in the original post to which they are replying. How do I create such a box?

Gassho

Dick

sat/lah
    Do you mean replying with a quote? Just choose the option to reply with quote on the message you want to reply to and not on the thread itself…

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Bion

There are often multiple green quote box in the message. That is what I was wondering about when Dick asked his question

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Bion

There are often multiple green quote box in the message. That is what I was wondering about when Dick asked his question

Doshin
    St
    Well, I never use the web version of the forum.. just the app, so I really don’t know what it looks like for people. I just figured it might be the quote thing. Each reply offers the possibility of quoting or embedding it in a new post, reply or thread…

SatToday lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Ok, as an example, If someone posts:

One of the aspects of zazen is that we sit without judgment of the present moment, so in zazen there is no discrimination and evaluation of things as good, bad, long, short, soon, late, like, dislike. We think, cause that’s inevitable, but we go beyond the quality of thinking, observing and accepting things for what they are, independent of our judgments of them. Like the non-thinking Dogen mentions. So we remain still and motionless regardless of conditions, perceptions, sensations, thoughts. Things don’t need our thinking to be what they are. I try to take that with me in my day to day life and look at things from beyond my “ideas” about them and act from that place which is beyond my impulses. When I do that, I find there’s little need to discriminate against things so no need to cause myself suffering over them. That means less anger, less sadness, less worrying, less disliking, less envy, also less clinging.
    As Bion said, while sitting, we try not to follow or attach to emotions, thoughts, physical sensations, and the like—rather, letting them rise and fall and come and go as they wish without judgement. Even on a cushion, this sometimes isn't particularly an easy thing to do! Yet we go back every day, and sit again.

Off the cushion is the same. My emotions, sensations, and feelings arise and fall, come and go, as they do, because they are somewhat involuntary. It's the reaction or judgement or added thoughts/worries that I add to them that make them into something they aren't.

So, over time, it has gotten easier to notice these things and situations, and allow them to pass on their own (they always do)—without adding extra to them. Sometimes, I add to them (like replying to something on social media I shouldn't, or beating myself up over something I've done) and I note that, and try to do better next time.

Yet, this also applies to the everyday things that aren't particularly anxiety inducing, or stressful: like washing the dishes, or chores, or just being. Everything is as it is, and if I don't add judgements or reactions to them, I'm better suited to approach things as they are—not as I judge them to be. But it takes time and practice, and that never really ends, either.
    Oh, the real practice happens off the cushion as much or more than on it!

And, if I want to reply to this message and highlight that I am really replying to their comment:

Off the cushion is the same. My emotions, sensations, and feelings arise and fall, come and go, as they do, because they are somewhat involuntary

How do I create a green box just around "...Off the cushion is the same. My emotions, sensations, and feelings arise and fall, come and go, as they do, because they are somewhat involuntary..."

Hoping I have not made this too confusing of a question.

Thanks

Dick

When you create a quote the site is placing these two boxes (without the spaces) [ QUOTE][/QUOTE ], and placing the quoted text in the middle.
    If you are on the desktop site there is also a Quote button at the top of the reply box. If not you can also just type the quote command out.

Example, again without the spaces inside the brackets
    [ QUOTE] Off the cushion is the same [ /QUOTE]

Would appear as
    Off the cushion is the same
    I realize I haven't totally answered the question. Hitting reply with quote will quote the entire message, but since you just want to quote the one portion you can either just delete the rest or you can manually type out (or copy and paste) the portion you want.

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah
    Last edited by Nengyoku; 12-12-2021 at 04:27 PM.

When you create a quote the site is placing these two boxes (without the spaces)
    Hopefully, like this.

Thank you

Dick

Hopefully, like this.

Thank you

Dick
    Yeah. That’s it I think.. again, on the app version, there’s no green boxes or anything.. just grey quote box.. but it looks good to me here!
    Good job!

SatToday
    Bion

Oh, the Bodhidharma Koan about "Bring Me You Mind" or why a dog has Buddha Nature ... nobody has a question.

But a Green Box is a mystery!
    Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

My apologies to all. Sometimes, for me, the simplest things seem to present the biggest problems.

Dick

sat/lah

My apologies to all. Sometimes, for me, the simplest things seem to present the biggest problems.

Dick

sat/lah
    Please do not apologize!!! The digital world is confusing for all of us! That’s why we’re here, to help each other out! NEVER EVER hesitate to ask for any kind of assistance!

Sat Today
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Please do not apologize!!! The digital world is confusing for all of us! That’s why we’re here, to help each other out! NEVER EVER hesitate to ask for any kind of assistance!

Sat Today

Dick

sat/lah
    Hah. You just helped me pick your Dharma Name for Jukai!

Gassho, J

STLah

Hopefully, like this.

Thank you

Dick
    Yay! Glad we could help!

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah