Thread: Zen Sports: Tennis

Zen Sports: Tennis

I just stumbled on this, so thought that we might have some Zen tennis folks. It is from the "All Buddha Open" (which, in Japanese is a pun on "French Open" because the Kanji for France is the same as for "Buddha" ... 仏 ... Don't ask why ...)

Anyway, I am actually not much of a tennis player, but "Zen Tennis" means that the "net" is just a division of the mind, and both sides of the court are just one. Everything is always "Love" and there is no "out."

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-07-2021 at 01:01 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

When I studied Chinese back in the day, I was told that France was Fa Guo, because it was a country of law. That' the fa that means dharma in Chinese. I wonder if there's a link (other than the phonetics).

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    When I studied Chinese back in the day, I was told that France was Fa Guo, because it was a country of law. That' the fa that means dharma in Chinese. I wonder if there's a link (other than the phonetics).

Gassho,

Ryūmon (Kirk)

sat
    The Fa of France is largely phonetic, Fa Ran Su, but also may have been selected because the French Napoleonic Civil Code was so influential to 19th century Asiatic legal reforms.

However, the connection to Buddhism is that civil/criminal "law" and "Dharma" (Buddha's Law/the Law of the Universe) share the same Kanji, Fa (in Chinese) and Ho (in Japanese):

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%B3%95

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Lovely.

I am not much into Tennis too. Just had some experience when younger.

However, recently I have been playing Squash a lot where there's a single
    wall and the two fields of the players are always in exchange of sides.

So it might be said that the "Zen Squash" is the wall (like Manjushri's sword) which
    unites into two and at the same time divides into one

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I used to play "Squash" by myself against the garage door as a kid. Hours and hours I would just hit the ball and pretend I was a tennis star... which is odd because I had no desire to actually pursue playing tennis.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.