Thread: ARTS: Shakuhachi/Blowing Zen

ARTS: Shakuhachi/Blowing Zen

NHK has a nice piece on shakuhachi and connections with zen. They also showed a bit of a recent "zen 2.0" conference in Kamakura. Why weren't any Treeleafers there?

Chris
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Seems like the video has been taken down or is unavailable.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás ESP View Post
    Seems like the video has been taken down or is unavailable.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat
    If you click on the line that says "watch on youtube," it is available ... at least, here in Japan for Chris and me.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    If you click on the line that says "watch on youtube," it is available ... at least, here in Japan for Chris and me.

Gassho, J

STLah
    True thing, thanks

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

There has been discussion about this person in shakuhachi circles, notably this statement which is made in the description of the video:

"The shakuhachi flute emerged during Japan's Edo period (1603-1868) as a tool to train Zen meditation through breathing."

There is no proof whatsoever that the shakuhachi was used like this. That this particular player is focusing on suizen, or blowing zen, is interesting, but the historical information we have doesn't support this theory.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Yes, good point. As with most things he is taking liberties in his marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    There has been discussion about this person in shakuhachi circles, notably this statement which is made in the description of the video:

"The shakuhachi flute emerged during Japan's Edo period (1603-1868) as a tool to train Zen meditation through breathing."

There is no proof whatsoever that the shakuhachi was used like this. That this particular player is focusing on suizen, or blowing zen, is interesting, but the historical information we have doesn't support this theory.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat