Thread: Just This Is It - Dongshan and the Practice of Suchness

Just This Is It - Dongshan and the Practice of Suchness

Following up with the dream I shared last week on the forum, I have been looking for books that expanded on the idea of "this is enough" or "this is it". I found "Just This Is It: Dongshan and the practice of suchness", by Taigen Dan Leighton. Anyone familiar with the text or with this zen master? First time I have come accross him (Dongshan I mean). Much appreciated.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás ESP View Post
    Following up with the dream I shared last week on the forum, I have been looking for books that expanded on the idea of "this is enough" or "this is it". I found "Just This Is It: Dongshan and the practice of suchness", by Taigen Dan Leighton. Anyone familiar with the text or with this zen master? First time I have come accross him (Dongshan I mean). Much appreciated.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH
    Dongshan (aka Tozan in Japanese) is the "to" of "Soto," and is considered the progenitor of Soto Zen ("Tsaodong" in Chinese. There is some debate about where the "So" of Soto comes from, but I personally believe that it comes from a name for the 6th Ancestor, Hui-neng, Tsaoxi). In any case, that is an excellent book on Soto history and doctrines, as is ANY book or writing by the great Taigen Dan Leighton, a friend of Treeleaf.

Special Zazenkai with Rev. TAIGEN DAN LEIGHTON
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...N-DAN-LEIGHTON

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2021 at 04:58 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Dongshan (aka Tozan in Japanese) is the "to" of "Soto," and is considered the progenitor of Soto Zen ("Tsaodong" in Chinese. There is some debate about where the "So" of Soto comes from, but I personally believe that it comes from a name for the 6th Ancestor, Hui-neng, Tsaoxi). In any case, that is an excellent book on Soto history and doctrines, as is ANY book or writing by the great Taigen Dan Leighton, a friend of Treeleaf.

Special Zazenkai with Rev. TAIGEN DAN LEIGHTON
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...N-DAN-LEIGHTON

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you for the information Jundo, I will check out the special zazenkai you linked

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Hi Tomás

I must admit to having that book on my shelf yet to be read but, as Jundo says, Dongshan Lianjie is a bit of a big deal in the Sōtō lineage! He is in the eleventh generation of Zen ancestors:

Bodhidharma (Jp. Bodai daruma)
    Dazu Huike (Taiso Eka)
    Jianzhi Sengcan (Kanchi Sosan), Hsin Hsin Ming (Faith in Mind) is attributed to him
    Dayi Daoxin (Daii Doshin)
    Daman Hongren (Daiman Konin)
    Dajian Huineng (Daikan Eno), the sixth ancestor of the Platform Sutra
    Qingyuan Xingsi (Seigen Gyoshi)
    Shitou Xiqian (Sekito Kisen), author of Sandokai (Identity of Relative and Absolute) and Song of the Grass Roof Hermitage
    Yaoshan Weiyan (Yakusan Igen)
    Yunyan Tansheng (Ungan Donjo)
    Dongshan Lianjie (Tozan Ryokai)

--11 generations--

Tiantong Rujing (Tendo Nyojo)
    Eihei Dōgen

Dongshan also wrote Hōkyō zanmai (Song of the Precious Mirror Samadhi): https://www.sotozen.com/eng/practice.../pdf/01/06.pdf

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-