Thread: Nov 26-27th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai- Devotions (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

Nov 26-27th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai- Devotions (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

Let's get ready to expand our minds ... Our Heart Sutra today ...

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    [CENTER]
    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-27-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added one-way youtube video
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Details that I can find on this Heart Sutra, which is updated to very interpretive, modern language ...

The Heart Sutra chanted by Zen priests is fused with electronic jazz to create peace in the world in this time of Covid. Using stage lighting and projection mapping, the effect of lights will lift your heart and make you feel better!

First-class studio musicians agreed to participate. The composer, synthesizer, and trombone are T-square's live performances, and Kayoko Yuasa, who also serves as recording support. Akiko Yano, Kiyoshiro Imawano, Masayoshi Yamazaki, etc. Yusaku Tsuchiya, who is also devoted to Japanese traditional music, and the violin.

Projection mapping, and lighting programming are performed by the Rinzai sect Kenchoji school Seisokuji resident, Kennyo Chiba himself. As one of the purposes, he made a modern translation of the Heart Sutra so that it can be felt more in the present world. He hopes to bring light to the world through the sound of art and sutras.

http://kappa.live/music/
    I was able to find a new article from a couple of years ago, pre-Covid ...

Seisokuji Temple (Chiba Kanyo, chief priest) in Yatsu, Kawazu Town, Shizuoka Prefecture, has started a "light-up night concert". The music unit of the chief priest Chiba, who is also a saxophonist, will perform the original songa live, with the lighting of the Sumidan where the Buddha statue is enshrined. It is said to express "Zen universe " with light and music .

... According to the chief priest of Chiba, light is a symbol of Buddhist wisdom in Buddhism, and since ancient times, Buddhist statues have been decorated with gold leaf. In modern technology, it is said that decorating with various shades with lighting corresponds to it.

"I want you to stand in the door of faith by putting yourself in a mysterious space. I want to would invite as many visitors as possible to Kawazu," said the chief priest Chiba. It is said that it is the role of the temple to liven up the area. At the meeting held for the locals on March 26th and 27th, tourists gathered and were immersed in a different atmosphere of the temple.

Illuminations and performances are every Saturday from April to June, and every day from 27th to May 6th of this month. From 7 pm. free entrance.
    https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASM3X4CBGM3XUTPB00J.html
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-26-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Amazing! I will be there with bells ready...

Gassho
    Washin
    StLah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I found the temple web page for Seisokuji, and it is quite something ...

http://kappa.live/music/

Translation here:

https://translate.google.com/transla...pa.live/music/

On the Buddhism, the Light is the symbol of Buddha’s wisdom.
    Shakamuni is the human Buddha whose figure is not like human, decorated with gold.
    This Buddha is called YAKUSHI-RURI-KO-NYORAI named by YAKUSHINYORAI (Bhaiṣajyaguru)
    since the Buddha is in the shining bright blue world. RURI means bright blue.

People feel extreme elation from Buddha, and get the power for lives from bright blue light of YAKUSHINYORAI.
    In the past, we had advanced technology for expressing the color and decorating temples using gold foil and lacquer.
    And now, we present the projection mapping of ZEN with newest lighting and film facilities for representing wisdom of Buddha, universe of ZEN, and land of happiness ( GOKURAKUJODO )
    We lead you to the extraordinary world with the synthesizer music, lighting, and filming, so that you can find the new movement and connection of Buddhism.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-26-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Zoom and Youtube are ready to go. See you all soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I found the temple web page for Seisokuji, and it is quite something ...
    Also, I fully and completely support Zen priests using Moog synthesizers in ceremonies. The one in the first photo is a Moog Grandmother:
    https://www.moogmusic.com/products/grandmother

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

That is pretty amazing. I will be time shifting when I join everyone.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Also, I fully and completely support Zen priests using Moog synthesizers in ceremonies. The one in the first photo is a Moog Grandmother:
    https://www.moogmusic.com/products/grandmother
    Perhaps that is what Dogen meant what he said that we must have Grandmotherly mind?

Gassho, J

ST

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar

Nov 26-27th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai- Devotions (DAYLIGHT SAVINGS!)

Perhaps that is what Dogen meant what he said that we must have Grandmotherly mind?
    I believe so.

Also: I have the alter ready. A Moog Model D (clone) and a Moog Mother-32.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #beepboop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I believe so.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #beepboop

HA! Shall I whip out the monitors!!?

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you Jundo, Washin, Sekishi, and everyone for your devotion

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you to everyone who sat, or will sit

Gassho,
    William
    Sat

That was a lovely zazenkai. I will now devote myself to well-deserved sleep You are all appreciated and cherished!

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you everyone. The talk on devotion and practicing together were a pleasure. The tea time discussion led to reflection.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

After today's talk on devotion, I am thinking that when we treat everything as sacred, we are actually devoting ourselves to so many things at the same time.

Gassho,

Sat today,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guish View Post
    After today's talk on devotion, I am thinking that when we treat everything as sacred, we are actually devoting ourselves to so many things at the same time.

Gassho,
    Well, everything is sacred, yet we can focus on them one at a time. When I devote myself to my job, my kids must wait. When I devote myself to my kids, the job must wait.

Gassho, J

STLah

Well, everything is sacred, yet we can focus on them one at a time. When I devote myself to my job, my kids must wait. When I devote myself to my kids, the job must wait.

Gassho, J

STLah
    In the beginner's mind, Suzuki talks about doing one thing at a time. That's ultimately the highest respect we can give to each thing in our life. There's a sense of freedom when we devote ourselves to something.

Gassho,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

That was a different sound

Doshin
    St

Thank you Jundo, Washin, Sekishi, and everyone

Gassho,

SatToday LaH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

The devotion chant reminded me of the Church of St. John Coltrane. http://www.coltranechurch.org/

I really liked the talk on devotion. I also have trouble using words like faith and devotion but no question that I have faith and devotion in a number of things. Any trouble I have with those words is just my mental baggage.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone. It's always a pleasure sitting with you.

, Doğukan.
    Sat.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Wonderful teachings with "today's" talk and a interesting musical experience.

Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Great find, it seems to me the arts in general are in aa pretty dynamic phase in Japan with lots going on in visual and audio creations, and great to see it is crossing over into Buddhism as well.
    Was a good sit.
    Chris

Reverend Chiba just wrote to us when I showed him the Ceremony (unfortunately, the video has disappeared from Youtube, which I need to ask him about that) ...

純道和尚様

ご連絡ありがとうございます。
    あなたの素晴らしい座禅会で紹介して頂いて光栄です。
    これからも禅を広める活動を頑張ってください。
    私も音楽で禅や仏教を広められるように頑張ります。

兼如 拝

Thank you for contacting us.
    I am honored to be introduced to you at your wonderful meditation.
    Please continue to do your best to spread Zen.
    I will do my best to spread Zen and Buddhism through music.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-29-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Reverend Chiba just wrote to us when I showed him the Ceremony (unfortunately, the video has disappeared from Youtube, which I need to ask him about that) ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Certainly hope more from Chiba is on the way!

Ryan
    SatToday LaH

I believe so.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah #beepboop

Ha! I am liking the direction this is going in Even more reason for me to start saving up for a moog

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday LaH

Thank you all for sitting with me on a cold day in England!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Thank you all for sitting with me on a cold day in England!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Zazen blanket is the star of the season!!!!

SatToday
    Bion