Thread: Dogen is saying something I can't get, maybe

Dogen is saying something I can't get, maybe

Gassho all, I'm working my way through 'Instructions for the Cook' by Dogen. I have been usually reading every paragraph or section at least twice, and I've felt fairly decent about my comprehension so far... but when I got to this part, I felt very much that I'm missing something. It seems to be hiding an analogy or metaphor in there somewhere, especially the last sentence. Am I over-thinking it? How does attentiveness enable us to do better than our predecessors?

"With resolve and sincerity, one should aim to exceed the ancients in purity and surpass the former worthies in attentiveness. The way to put that aspiration into practice in one's own person is, for example, to take the same three coins that one's predecessors spent to make a soup of the crudest greens and use them to now to make a soup of the finest cream. This is difficult to do. Why is that? Because present and past are completely different, like the distance between heaven and earth. How could we ever be able to equal their stature? Nevertheless, when we work attentively, therein lies the principle that makes it possible to surpass our predecessors."

Gassho
    Kodo Tobiishi sat today, lent a hand
    It occurs to me that my attachment to this body is entirely arbitrary. All the evidence is subjective.

Hi Tobiishi,

I think that you may be overcomplicating this. He is using fancy grandiose words to say something like, "We should try to work attentively and sincerely, even doing our best to surpass the 'great cooks' of the past ... trying to do a better job on the same budget than even they could do ... although likely we can't live up to their level.' So, then he says, in that case, just try to be as attentive and sincere in doing the work as you can.

I think he means that being attentive, paying attention, being careful and sincere will help a cook make some good soup, even with poor ingredients sometimes, or anyone to do their job well.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-17-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Paying attention is very important. It’s very easy to get lost and end up in hell. Wake up!

It’s a beautiful day

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Jundo said what I was going to say.

Gassho
    Sat, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.