Thread: specific Dharma search

specific Dharma search

Good now. I am wondering if anyone can assist me in locating something from the Buddhist canon that I read decades ago and am feeling a tug to revisit today. The Buddha was speaking to the sangha regarding one monks propensity to always pause for a spell before he spoke. If memory serves, his lengthy pause before speaking was most noticeably present when he was preparing to answer a question. His fellow monks thought it reflected his mental slowness. I don't recall the Buddha specifically dispelling that notion but he did support the monk for considering his words before they left his mouth. If you have read this far, thank you for your willingness to see if you could assist me - even if you are unable to.

Gassho,

Angel

sattoday

Hi Angel

You may already know that you can search most of the Pali Canon at Access to Insight: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Angel
    You may already know that you can search most of the Pali Canon at Access to Insight: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/
    I did not know that; thank you. That said, I do not understand how this information is useful to me, though I assume it must be or you wouldn't have offered it. I do not know how to frame a question succinctly to alleviate how lost I am by the suggestion. Since I spoke very generally because that is all I remember of it, the only way I can imagine to make use of this suggestion it to put this:

"The Buddha was speaking to the sangha regarding one monks propensity to always pause for a spell before he spoke. If memory serves, his lengthy pause before speaking was most noticeably present when he was preparing to answer a question. His fellow monks thought it reflected his mental slowness. I don't recall the Buddha specifically dispelling that notion but he did support the monk for considering his words before they left his mouth."

into the search engine, but I can't imagine that is what you mean. Understanding that this is how I interpreted your comment, can you say it a different way, please?

Angel - sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Good now. I am wondering if anyone can assist me in locating something from the Buddhist canon that I read decades ago and am feeling a tug to revisit today. The Buddha was speaking to the sangha regarding one monks propensity to always pause for a spell before he spoke. If memory serves, his lengthy pause before speaking was most noticeably present when he was preparing to answer a question. His fellow monks thought it reflected his mental slowness. I don't recall the Buddha specifically dispelling that notion but he did support the monk for considering his words before they left his mouth. If you have read this far, thank you for your willingness to see if you could assist me - even if you are unable to.
    I do not know this story, but I do know that in the Zen world silence or few words can say much ... such as Book of Equanimity, Case 1 ...

Attention! One day the World-Honored One ascended the platform and took his seat. Manjushri struck the sounding post and said: "When you realize the Dharma-King's Dharma, the Dharma-King's Dharma is just as is." At that, the World-Honored One descended from the platform.
    Also, the Flower Sermon ...

Once, when the World-Honored One in ancient times was upon Vulture Peak, he held up a flower before the assembly of monks. At this all were silent. The Venerable Kashyapa alone broke into a smile. The World-Honored One said, “I have the all-pervading Eye of the True Dharma, the Secret Heart of Incomparable Nirvana, the True Aspect of Formless Form. It does not rely on letters and is transmitted outside the sutras. I now hand it on to Mahakashyapa.”
    Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Understanding that this is how I interpreted your comment, can you say it a different way, please?
    Hi Angel

I have used the search function on Access to Insight to find specific instances in suttas by putting in several words that relate to what I am looking for. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

In this case, I have tried searching on words such as 'pausing before speaking' and similar and not found any relevant suttas so it may well be that this is not possible for your request.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I do know the Buddha's traditional advice on reflecting before/during/after speaking, basically five things to consider when speaking. One should inquire of oneself whether what someone is about to to say is:

Factual and true
    Helpful or beneficial
    Spoken with kindness and good-will (that is, hoping for the best for all involved)
    Endearing (that is, spoken gently, in a way the other person can hear)
    Timely (occasionally something true, helpful, and kind will not be endearing, or easy for someone to hear, in which case we think carefully about when to say it)
    Accompanying this, the Buddha gave the following advice to his son, Rahula, in the Ambalatthika-rahulovada Sutta: Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone:

"Whenever you want to perform a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I want to perform — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then any verbal act of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then any verbal act of that sort is fit for you to do.

"While you are performing a verbal act, you should reflect on it: 'This verbal act I am doing — is it leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful verbal act, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it is leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both... you should give it up. But if on reflection you know that it is not... you may continue with it.

"Having performed a verbal act, you should reflect on it... If, on reflection, you know that it led to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it was an unskillful verbal act with painful consequences, painful results, then you should confess it, reveal it, lay it open to the Teacher or to a knowledgeable companion in the holy life. Having confessed it... you should exercise restraint in the future. But if on reflection you know that it did not lead to affliction... it was a skillful verbal action with happy consequences, happy results, then you should stay mentally refreshed and joyful, training day and night in skillful mental qualities."
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....061.than.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-16-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hello Angel,

I asked a Theravada friend of mine who is very freakishly knowledgeable of the Pali sutras but they could not think of one like what you described, so I'm wondering if perhaps it was something else that you read?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hope you find what you're looking for!

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I do know the Buddha's traditional advice on reflecting before/during/after speaking, basically five things to consider when speaking. One should inquire of oneself whether what someone is about to to say is:

Accompanying this, the Buddha gave the following advice to his son, Rahula, in the Ambalatthika-rahulovada Sutta: Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....061.than.html

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yes words are so powerful. Best to respond with a pause sometimes. And sometimes an action is better. Paul said ‘take a sad song and make it better’. Take thus situation you are in and make it better for all

Sat/lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/...idescence.html

It is not the story, but I feel it refers in part to the practice of mindfulness and awareness before responding. A different kind of 'pause'.

I'm not sure how to locate the story, but I am curious about it.

Gassho, meian stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Meian; 11-17-2021 at 02:38 AM.
    My life is my temple and my practice.

I am very grateful for everyone's help. Returning this morning, without the answer, as I read through the responses I was struck by two things. First, I'm getting old; I would have been able to access this by memory not too long ago. Second, something in the responses jogged my memory. I'm quite sure I've recalled the source - and it is a suspect source, hence this follow-up post. If I am not mistaken, it came from the very first book on Buddhism I stumbled across a half-century ago. It began a life-long interest in Buddhism but it soon became apparent to me that it was far from a scholarly or even accurate text. I concluded that it was almost an apologetic introduction to Buddhism for a decidedly (19th century) Christian audience meant more to not offend rather than teach.

Angel - sattoday