Thread: [Engaged] Creating a meditation group

[Engaged] Creating a meditation group

Dear all,

I am thinking about trying to establish a meditation group at my college.

I am seeking advice. I'm want to be as secular as possible (as to welcome everyone).

Tony,

Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Hi Tony!

We have a document for that. If you message me with an offline email address, I will send it your way.

If you need further advice after that, feel free to come back and ask.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Tony!

We have a document for that. If you message me with an offline email address, I will send it your way.

If you need further advice after that, feel free to come back and ask.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Thank you!!

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Quote Originally Posted by bakera3312 View Post
    Dear all,

I am thinking about trying to establish a meditation group at my college.

I am seeking advice. I'm want to be as secular as possible (as to welcome everyone).

Tony,

Lovely, Tony. Our document is aimed for more secular settings, such as schools and work places, so the overt mentions of Buddhism, Dogen and such are at a minimum. However, we keep the Shikantaza focus.

A good rule of thumb on that is to facilitate the group, make clear to folks that you are not teaching. You can show new folks basic thing that you feel experienced and competent to share, but if someone comes to you with a hard question, or difficult situation, don't do what you are not comfortable to handle. It is just common sense.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely, Tony. Our document is aimed for more secular settings, such as schools and work places, so the overt mentions of Buddhism, Dogen and such are at a minimum. However, we keep the Shikantaza focus.

A good rule of thumb on that is to facilitate the group, make clear to folks that you are not teaching. You can show new folks basic thing that you feel experienced and competent to share, but if someone comes to you with a hard question, or difficult situation, don't do what you are not comfortable to handle. It is just common sense.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I plan on being very hands off. I am just trying to get the group going with the Admin. We have a Yoga program, and I thought meditation would be a good add on.

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Hi everyone,

Since I have the urge to help others and I think that many people could benefit from meditation/Zazen I have often thought about starting a sitting group myself.
    Yet the fact that I am not a teacher and that I know that I am not supposed to teach has kept be back to be honest (and finding time for it I must admit). Where does teaching begin?
    I think Jundo's advice above is a good point of reference.

@Kokuu
    It would be great if you could also send me that document if you don't mind. I am giving you my email address.

Thanks and gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Quote Originally Posted by Daitetsu View Post
    Hi everyone,

Since I have the urge to help others and I think that many people could benefit from meditation/Zazen I have often thought about starting a sitting group myself.
    Yet the fact that I am not a teacher and that I know that I am not supposed to teach has kept be back to be honest (and finding time for it I must admit). Where does teaching begin?
    I think Jundo's advice above is a good point of reference.

@Kokuu
    It would be great if you could also send me that document if you don't mind. I am giving you my email address.

Thanks and gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    You would be wonderful to host a sitting Group, Dai.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you so much, Roshi!
    I think I have already found a location, might start this summer. (if I manage to overcome my shyness...)

Gassho,

大哲

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added