Thread: Soto Zen introduction for youngsters

Soto Zen introduction for youngsters

Good morning.

I would like any recommendations for a book or reading for younger people (specifically, my 14 year old son) on Zazen / Zen. He is cultivating a good sitting practice (we sit daily for 30 minutes before he starts his online school), but I think he still has some expectations from meditation, that something will / should "happen" during sitting. I have made some attempts at explaining the concept of the no-gain mind, but I think he still has the question "then why do this?" Has anyone found a good resource for explaining this to younger people?

ST/LAH

Gassho

Jacques

When I was fourteen, I wanted to read adult books on spirituality. I think I would have been fascinated with something like The Zen Master's Dance, although I would have understood it differently than I might now. I craved deeper conversations, so discussing it (the book) would be a good idea. I don't know if that is how most fourteen year olds feel.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 11-06-2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesG View Post
    Good morning.

I would like any recommendations for a book or reading for younger people (specifically, my 14 year old son) on Zazen / Zen. He is cultivating a good sitting practice (we sit daily for 30 minutes before he starts his online school), but I think he still has some expectations from meditation, that something will / should "happen" during sitting. I have made some attempts at explaining the concept of the no-gain mind, but I think he still has the question "then why do this?" Has anyone found a good resource for explaining this to younger people?

ST/LAH

Gassho

Jacques
    Ya know, you kinda make me want to write one now!

I really don't know a specific book for that age. We had a discussion of general children's book, but he is too old for these I think ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...recommendation

Is he sitting on his own? In our house, my wife and I decided not to compel our kids to sit when they were younger, believing that they would see and understand the general reasons, and might decide to do so when grown. (My son famously once asked if "daddy is bad, because he is always sitting in the corner!?" ). We believed that it is best to create a house with Buddhist values, and then they would get the message that way.

Soto-shu has some online Manga, but they are a bit religiousy (the Dogen legend, for example), not particularly about "how to Zazen" ...

https://www.sotozen.com/eng/library/comics/index.html

Let me ask at the Soto Zen Buddhist Association if any of the Soto teachers there know of a book.

Maybe the best if for you to explain to him.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Ya know, you kinda make me want to write one now!

I really don't know a specific book for that age. We had a discussion of general children's book, but he is too old for these I think ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...recommendation

Is he sitting on his own? In our house, my wife and I decided not to compel our kids to sit when they were younger, believing that they would see and understand the general reasons, and might decide to do so when grown. (My son famously once asked if "daddy is bad, because he is always sitting in the corner!?" ). We believed that it is best to create a house with Buddhist values, and then they would get the message that way.

Soto-shu has some online Manga, but they are a bit religiousy (the Dogen legend, for example), not particularly about "how to Zazen" ...

https://www.sotozen.com/eng/library/comics/index.html

Let me ask at the Soto Zen Buddhist Association if any of the Soto teachers there know of a book.

Maybe the best if for you to explain to him.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

STLah
    Jundu Sensei

I think a book for teens would be awesome. I would buy it.

He is sitting on his own. I have 3 children, 26, 17, 14. The 26 year old discovered Buddhism on her own. She is a total "Burning Man Hippie" and found her path to the Dharma out in the desert somewhere, some night, all by herself. I think it saved her life, as she was very depression-prone before that. In a recent chat I was surprised to realize that she actually has a solid practice developing - we don't see each other much, she lives 2000 kilometers away.

My middle daughter is special needs, so she needs some time. The 14 year old is ADHD - and started meditating as a way to collect himself before school, after seeing a video on Vipassana and ADHD on Youtube. He is very much into Manga, so the comic will be awesome, thanks so much for that.

I look forward to any other recommendations.

Gassho

Jacques - ST

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesG View Post
    The 14 year old is ADHD - and started meditating as a way to collect himself before school, after seeing a video on Vipassana and ADHD on Youtube.
    Hi Jacques,

I actually am going to say that, if he is sitting to help with ADHD, then I would not worry so much that he is sitting Shikantaza (although you can explain to him the idea of it). Better for him is to sit with whatever kind of meditation is best for ADHD and him, to help in settle for school and the like. I am not an ADHD expert, so I am not sure what would be best.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Sotoshu has a nice collection of free, online comics/manga/graphic novels: https://www.sotozen.com/eng/what/index.html

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    Sotoshu has a nice collection of free, online comics/manga/graphic novels: https://www.sotozen.com/eng/what/index.html

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

I asked at the SZBA and, well, nobody particularly knew of a book for that age group!

(Makes me think that we need a Soto Zen Judy Blume or Lemony Snicket to write em!)

The only suggestions were the usual introductory books for adults, that maybe an early teen could also get into (I rather doubt it, frankly) like Zen Mind Beginners Mind and Okumura Living by Vow. Hmmm.

Someone mentioned Cheri Huber's There Is Nothing Wrong With You as well as Wide Awake: A Buddhist Guide for Teens Paperback by Diana Winston, but I know nothing about these two books. I looked at the "Wide Awake" book quickly, and the meditation instructions seem to be some general kind of mindfulness, definitely not Shikantaza.

I might suggest Brad Warner's Hardcore Zen which is written by an old guy who is a perpetual teenager!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-15-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Hi,

I’m living a similar situation with my grandson. He is only seven years old and he began to sat with me every day at the Chanting & Zazen Circle last summer, when I stayed on month with his family. I thought it was only mimetic (doing as his grandfather) but I was surprised by the fact that he keeps on sitting by himself with the group every Saturday since this time. His parents are comprehensive with this as long as I’m present, of course.
    Up to now, I let him doing the chants with us, even in Japanese, and he respects all the rules ( observation of the Zendo etiquette).
    My reflection is : should I explain him what Zen is ( explanations adapted for his age, of course ) or should I wait that he ask me about it by himself ?
    I would greatly appreciate your observations about this.

Gassho,

Yuki 雪
    (Sat today)
    Last edited by Yuki; 11-17-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Hi,

I’m living a similar situation with my grandson. He is only seven years old and he began to sat with me every day at the Chanting & Zazen Circle last summer, when I stayed on month with his family. I thought it was only mimetic (doing as his grandfather) but I was surprised by the fact that he keeps on sitting by himself with the group every Saturday since this time. His parents are comprehensive with this as long as I’m present, of course.
    Up to now, I let him doing the chants with us, even in Japanese, and he respects all the rules ( observation of the Zendo etiquette).
    My reflection is : should I explain him what Zen is ( explanations adapted for his age, of course ) or should I wait that he ask me about it by himself ?
    I would greatly appreciate your observations about this.

Gassho,

Yuki 雪
    (Sat today)
    That is lovely. The South Asians might say, when children do such things, that maybe it is a prior life peaking through.

If it is fine with his parents, I would see nothing wrong to "lightly" explain some simple things in a way that a 7 year old might understand.

But I happened to hear a funny story yesterday: A mother was asked by her 7 year old daughter about "where babies come from." The mother had been preparing the talk for years, spoke for about 20 minutes, all the details suited for a child, comparing it to seeds in the ground like tomatoes that the father waters. After, she asked the daughter if she understood, and she responded, "yes, babies come from the ground with the tomatoes." Well, yes, it is not wrong.

Gassho, J

SatToday

Sorry to run long

Thanks Jundo.

I will pass the Christmas Holidays with his family so I’m sure to find many occasions to talk with him, if he manifests curiosity about our sitting. I don’t tant to make pression on him but I’m certain he will ask me if something seems difficult for him to understand. He is a wise boy for his age… maybe I should replace tomatoes seeds by lotus roots ?

Merci !

Yuki 雪
    (Sat today)

Hi all,
    This is an illustrated introduction to Zen. I believe it’s for adults, but is perhaps suitable for older children and might be something to read with younger children. I can’t speak to the content; I have only briefly looked at it.
    https://wisdomexperience.org/product...-guide-to-zen/
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Naiko View Post
    Hi all,
    This is an illustrated introduction to Zen. I believe it’s for adults, but is perhaps suitable for older children and might be something to read with younger children. I can’t speak to the content; I have only briefly looked at it.
    https://wisdomexperience.org/product...-guide-to-zen/
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st
    Oh, that is a wonderful little manga like book, very fun and informative. I was a reviewer.

I can't say, though, that it would be particularly interesting to a teen. More for serious Zen adults with a particular interest in Japanese priest practice.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-18-2021 at 02:04 PM.