Thread: The Zen Master's Dance - 5 - Fukan Zazengi (p. 23 to p. 29)

The Zen Master's Dance - 5 - Fukan Zazengi (p. 23 to p. 29)

There is no other place to be, nothing more to do ... and I am so glad that you are here, doing this reading!

This time, we will read from page 23 "The Basics and the Missing Ingredient," stopping before page 29 "And So, 'The Way of Zazen Recommended for Everyone.'"

Today's reading contains this description of the "missing ingredient" of many Zazen instructions:

[W]e must sit shikantaza with the profound trusting that sitting itself is a complete and sacred act, the one and only action that need be done in that moment of sitting. As we shall see in the “Fukan Zazengi” and in Dōgen’s other writings on zazen, this was Dōgen’s unique point, and he emphasized it time and time again in his teachings. Zazen is all the Buddhas and Ancestors sitting in our own moment of sitting, as if our sitting turns us into those Buddhas and Ancestors on the spot. We must have faith in that fact. We must taste vibrantly that the mere act of sitting zazen is whole and complete, the total fruition of life’s goals, with nothing lacking and nothing added to the bare fact of sitting here and now. No matter how busy our lives or how strongly we may feel tempted to be elsewhere, for the time of sitting we put aside all other concerns. To do this, we must have a sense that the single act of crossing the legs as Dōgen instructed (or sitting in some other balanced posture, as many modern students do) is the realization of all we’ve ever sought. That is why there is simply no other place to go in the world, nothing else to do besides sit in this posture.

Even if we do not yet fully believe in the completeness of zazen, we can nonetheless have trust and faith in it, and that trust and faith will
    soon turn into an actual experience. ...

... When we truly taste to the marrow the real meaning of “nothing to achieve,” we finally reach a great spiritual achievement. As counterintuitive as it sounds, resting in stillness without needing to run is, in fact, truly getting somewhere.
    Let's take this attitude of Zazen off the cushion, into daily life:

Imagine and describe some scene in your life that is tedious, annoying, difficult, frustrating, painful, sad or the like. Describe how you feel.

Now, also describe how it feel when, even as a matter of faith and conviction, one brings a "nothing more to do, no other place to be" feeling to the situation, like the language of this section.

Once again, how is it to experience the event both ways at once, as one?

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Last night I bumped my dog's ear as I walked past him. He helped in pain that was very disproportionate to how hard I had hit him. Upon inspection I realized he had a pretty bad ear infection, and it looked like he had scratched it to the point he had drawn blood.

The feelings I felt were some mixture of panic and fear. I felt like I had let him down for not noticing his situation, and I felt like I needed to fix it right now before it got worse.

And then I remembered to look at it from outside of my own point of view. I told myself, "Things are just as they are. There is no scenario where you noticed this, because this is the scenario you have." I stopped beating myself up for not catching it sooner and instead focused on finding the best resolution to the scenario I was in.

I still felt some panic, but reminded myself that the vet wasn't even open this late and that panic wouldn't help the situation.

Instead, I knew there was nothing to do, nowhere to be, just me and this hurt and scared dog. (Who really is just a big puppy sometimes) and that I was not separate from the hurt and scared dog. He was scared because I was panicking.

So I just got down, and held him until he calmed down.
    And then I made an appointment for him, once they opened.

It was like through one eye I saw the wider scale of the situation, that nothing could be done right now and so I just needed to help me feel safe.
    And through the other I saw the small scale, that something was wrong and as soon as something could be done it should be done.

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah

I really like that story, William. I have experienced many of those moments with my dog as he ages.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I hope he is feeling better today, William.

Gassho, J

STLah

Much metta for your furry friend also, Geika.

Thank you Jundo. He has been very playful, and he came and curled up beside me during Zazen tonight, so I hope that means he is calm.

Gassho,
    William
    SatLah

Yesterday I was thinking what might be the difference of shikantaza and mindfulness meditation. The only answer I could give is that a shikantaza practitioner has a completely different attitude during the practice, and a completely different attitude towards the practice itself. First, we don't chase after some goal, like peace of mind, becoming better people, achieving enlightenment etc. Then we practice, with mind and body, having the faith that during shinaktaza there is nothing else we should do. Finally, we believe that the practice is Perfect whatever we may be facing - worries, fears, anxieties, boredom, happiness, excitement or just peace.
    What do you think?

Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Yesterday I was thinking what might be the difference of shikantaza and mindfulness meditation. The only answer I could give is that a shikantaza practitioner has a completely different attitude during the practice, and a completely different attitude towards the practice itself. First, we don't chase after some goal, like peace of mind, becoming better people, achieving enlightenment etc. Then we practice, with mind and body, having the faith that during shinaktaza there is nothing else we should do. Finally, we believe that the practice is Perfect whatever we may be facing - worries, fears, anxieties, boredom, happiness, excitement or just peace.
    What do you think?
    I think (think-non-think) that's pretty good!

We still do all the other usual stuff too, like sitting in a balanced and stable posture, letting thoughts go, not grabbing on to emotions, breathing nice and deep but naturally, etc., attention on the breath or "open spacious awareness" etc.

Funny thing is, might actually bring some peace of mind, make us nicer people and ... dare I say ... illumination/enlightenment ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Autumn brings with it the task of raking the leaves. I live in a neighbourhood with many large trees. My own property has 11 trees which means a lot of raking. Generally November days are windy which means that even once you’ve managed to clear a spot the wind comes along and blows in more leaves. It is not my favourite homeowner task. And yet it brings me outside away from my desk and computer. I get some fresh air and some peace. It is a wonderful opportunity to practice Raking Zazen.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

In Japan, cleanliness isn't next to godliness, it is godliness. This means that a lot of the cleaning expected of me as a newly appointed house husband seems a pointless waste of time. However, there is a set cleaning schedule and as the appointed time comes round, it is interesting to observe my resentment and childish sulkiness about what I know I have to do. Anyway, I set to the job and notice my mood changing to one of satisfaction at doing the job as required. This feeling grows and the mental burden of the cleaning decreases. I have watched this every week, twice a week for 6 months now - I know the routine and keep to it.

Stewart
    Sat

There are things I want to do on any given day, but I tend to just fret about them and procrastinate. While I'm procrastinating, the things to do loom large and I fret some more that I can't do anything. However, when I don't buy into the worrying thoughts and feelings, I just do one thing, whether it is reading, writing, sewing, or housework, and that one thing is simple, and leads to the next thing, and soon I've done what I had wanted to do and it wasn't difficult or a big thing at all.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    In Japan, cleanliness isn't next to godliness, it is godliness. This means that a lot of the cleaning expected of me as a newly appointed house husband seems a pointless waste of time. However, there is a set cleaning schedule and as the appointed time comes round, it is interesting to observe my resentment and childish sulkiness about what I know I have to do. Anyway, I set to the job and notice my mood changing to one of satisfaction at doing the job as required. This feeling grows and the mental burden of the cleaning decreases. I have watched this every week, twice a week for 6 months now - I know the routine and keep to it.

Stewart
    Sat
    Cleaning is a Buddha cleaning Buddha, each grain of schmutz and soot holding the whole universe and shining like a pristine jewel, nothing to clean and nothing ever dirty, nothing to attain, the whole universe already Pure beyond and right through all small human ideas of clean vs. dirty ... no schedule to follow, nothing to do, no job ever undone ... no feeling or burden to grow or decrease ...

And yet, and yet ... there is laundry to do and a sink full of dishes, guests coming in the morning and chores to be done, stuff to clean because who wants to live in a mess!

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    There are things I want to do on any given day, but I tend to just fret about them and procrastinate. While I'm procrastinating, the things to do loom large and I fret some more that I can't do anything. However, when I don't buy into the worrying thoughts and feelings, I just do one thing, whether it is reading, writing, sewing, or housework, and that one thing is simple, and leads to the next thing, and soon I've done what I had wanted to do and it wasn't difficult or a big thing at all.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Nothing to do, no night which becomes day, no time and nothing in need of doing, so no way to "procrastinate." Your procrastinating is a Buddha's procrastinating. Doing one thing is doing no thing is doing EVERY thing and ALL things, just the universe doing its thing. Writing is just writing with no before or after, no sewing or housework. Sewing is just sewing with no before or after, no housework or writing. Sewing is a Buddha's needle passing through a Buddha.

This one thing that is all things and no thing at all ... is as simple as simple can be, beyond big thing or small.

And yet, and yet ... there are things to do today, and no time to waste. Let's do the writing, then later the sewing followed by housework.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Autumn brings with it the task of raking the leaves. I live in a neighbourhood with many large trees. My own property has 11 trees which means a lot of raking. Generally November days are windy which means that even once you’ve managed to clear a spot the wind comes along and blows in more leaves. It is not my favourite homeowner task. And yet it brings me outside away from my desk and computer. I get some fresh air and some peace. It is a wonderful opportunity to practice Raking Zazen.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Raking leaves is raking Bodhisattvas scattered on the Buddha ground, no place to fall and no up to rake, no seasons so how can it be "Autumn"? No homeowners and no home to own ... only One's True Home. The wind is only your mind moving!

And yet, and yet ... it is Autumn and there is a ton of leaves to rake.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Cleaning is a Buddha cleaning Buddha, each grain of schmutz and soot holding the whole universe and shining like a pristine jewel, nothing to clean and nothing ever dirty, nothing to attain, the whole universe already Pure beyond and right through all small human ideas of clean vs. dirty ... no schedule to follow, nothing to do, no job ever undone ... no feeling or burden to grow or decrease ...

And yet, and yet ... there is laundry to do and a sink full of dishes, guests coming in the morning and chores to be done, stuff to clean because who wants to live in a mess!

Gassho, J

STLah
    "Schmutz" has become part of my lexicon lately. �� it is a perfect word for what it is.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Getting a call from a client that needs something right before I am ready to log off from work for the day. I have done everything to be able to close the computer and walk away on time... it is 4:59pm... and alas, the phone rings and it is a client that needs something right away, because they waited until the last minute to take care of an issue. Frustration, annoyance, exasperation... then... breathing and becoming aware that there is nothing to do right now but to take care of their issue, to do all I can, to let the frustration go, and move forward.

rj
    st

Quote Originally Posted by nefertiti120 View Post
    Getting a call from a client that needs something right before I am ready to log off from work for the day. I have done everything to be able to close the computer and walk away on time... it is 4:59pm... and alas, the phone rings and it is a client that needs something right away, because they waited until the last minute to take care of an issue. Frustration, annoyance, exasperation... then... breathing and becoming aware that there is nothing to do right now but to take care of their issue, to do all I can, to let the frustration go, and move forward.

rj
    st
    No caller no phone and no called, it is only the Universe ringing! Nothing to need, no "right before" or "right now" or "right after," no way to log off or on ... a computer that cannot be closed nor opened, nothing to walk with or walk toward or walk away ... It is 4:59pm every moment from the big bang to the end of time ... the first minute just the last ...

And yet, and yet, phone is ringing, client is demanding, need to open the computer, feeling frustration, need to get it done.

Gassho, J

STLah

"No caller no phone and no called, it is only the Universe ringing!"

So I'm totally printing and taping this by my phone tomorrow...

rj
    st

And yet, and yet ... it is Autumn and there is a ton of leaves to rake.
    Last year at this time Doreen told her brother Keith, in a phonec call to the facility he was placed in because of his cognitive decline, that she had been raking leaves with Richard. His first question was, "who is Richard?" and the second, "what are leaves?" This year Keith is no longer here to ask those questions. Last year those questions distressed her, this year she longs for them.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Last year at this time Doreen told her brother Keith, in a phonec call to the facility he was placed in because of his cognitive decline, that she had been raking leaves with Richard. His first question was, "who is Richard?" and the second, "what are leaves?" This year Keith is no longer here to ask those questions. Last year those questions distressed her, this year she longs for them.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Moments like that help one realize that every interaction is precious.

Thank you Shokai

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Well last week, I had to call my parents' bank to get them new debit cards re-issued; I was literally on hold for 90 minutes; on one hand it was maddenly frustrating, which I felt profusely but also I just dropped it and said this has to be done. This is just one item in a long string of these types of scenarios where I have no control and have to just drop my resistance to get stuff done: hospital administration, navigating government paperwork, etc etc etc. This is all frustrating but, simultaneously, I'm incredibly grateful that I have my parents here and that I'm able to help them; I will wait on hold for 12 hours if I have to; it's worth it to help them.

Another example is during Halloween zazenkai, there was a strange Koala-man who was talking about masks; I had to sit through the anger and, for full disclosure, I had to flip through facebook to get through it; but I did get through it. hahahah I kid

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Every morning, I take our dog for a walk. I can view this as a chore, something to be accomplished as quickly as possible, something to be simply "done with", while my mind focuses on the past or the future. This way, it can be frustrating if the dog wants to dally at a favorite tree, or explore a new smell. I end the activity tense, aggravated, unaware of how I spent the time. Or, I can think "...there is nothing more to do, no other place to be" and simply mindfully accept the activity for what it is, almost zazen-like. I end the activity calm, feeling connected, peaceful. Same activity, same time commitment, very different results.

Gassho

Dick

sat/lah

Dick - you hit the nail on the head for me too in terms of getting frustrated. I just want my dogs to do their business, but they want to play CSI. lol Just today I hugged them and realized I was being an impatient tightwad

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Well last week, I had to call my parents' bank to get them new debit cards re-issued; I was literally on hold for 90 minutes; on one hand it was maddenly frustrating, which I felt profusely but also I just dropped it and said this has to be done. This is just one item in a long string of these types of scenarios where I have no control and have to just drop my resistance to get stuff done: hospital administration, navigating government paperwork, etc etc etc. This is all frustrating but, simultaneously, I'm incredibly grateful that I have my parents here and that I'm able to help them; I will wait on hold for 12 hours if I have to; it's worth it to help them.

Another example is during Halloween zazenkai, there was a strange Koala-man who was talking about masks; I had to sit through the anger and, for full disclosure, I had to flip through facebook to get through it; but I did get through it. hahahah I kid

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah
    No birth no death, no parent no child, the Universal Bank Account always FULL beyond debit or credit, nothing to issue nothing to rescind, nothing to hold for all is let go, 90 minutes is all time. The sound of "on the one hand" clapping is peace. We are all the strange Koala man, may we know Our True Face under all the masks and anger.

And yet, and yet ... there is birth and death, parents and children, banks and bank fees, debit and credit, being on hold. There are anoying Koala men protesting masks.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Every morning, I take our dog for a walk. I can view this as a chore, something to be accomplished as quickly as possible, something to be simply "done with", while my mind focuses on the past or the future. This way, it can be frustrating if the dog wants to dally at a favorite tree, or explore a new smell. I end the activity tense, aggravated, unaware of how I spent the time. Or, I can think "...there is nothing more to do, no other place to be" and simply mindfully accept the activity for what it is, almost zazen-like. I end the activity calm, feeling connected, peaceful. Same activity, same time commitment, very different results.

Gassho

Dick

sat/lah
    Lovely.

No dog, no dog walker, no pee or tree to pee on, no chore.

And yet, and yet ... dogs must be walked and pee on trees. What a chore (one reason I own a cat).

Gassho, J

STLah

...who wants to live in a mess!
    Thank you. I wanted to think about this. So, apparently I do...or did, until laughter took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Every morning, I take our dog for a walk. I can view this as a chore, something to be accomplished as quickly as possible, something to be simply "done with", while my mind focuses on the past or the future. This way, it can be frustrating if the dog wants to dally at a favorite tree, or explore a new smell....
    I find Fall to be a very good opportunity to follow a dog's nose. The bark of trees is at it's most fragrant in the Fall. Not all trees have a scent that can be detected by the human nose, but many that do are only accessible in the Fall. You must get close - a few centimeters, or an inch or so. You might also see something wonderous you might have not noticed when you were further away.

What a chore (one reason I own a cat).
    It is my understanding that people own dogs, not cats. Cats have staff.

Angel-sat

P.S. Could anyone tell me how long before the next book begins that we discover the title? My book purchases are through a company whose prices are within my budget (incl. free shipping) but it can take a few weeks to arrive. Unfortunately, this current title is out of stock and has three people on the waiting list in front of me. I ask to see if I'll have time to order and have it arrive before we begin. If not, I will know to seek out a different method. Thank you.
    Last edited by Angel; 11-10-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Could anyone tell me how long before the next book begins that we discover the title? My book purchases are through a company whose prices are within my budget (incl. free shipping) but it can take a few weeks to arrive. Unfortunately, this current title is out of stock and has three people on the waiting list in front of me. I ask to see if I'll have time to order and have it arrive before we begin. If not, I will know to seek out a different method. Thank you.
    Hi Angel

It is normally a month or two in advance but Jundo may already have an idea of what is coming next and be able to share it with you earlier. If you do struggle financially with getting a book, do let us know as members can often offer to send a book as an offering.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Hi all

As most of you know, I experience pain on a daily basis. There is no day that goes by without some degree of physical pain for me.

However, as Jundo describes, just because there is pain does not mean there is anything wrong with the moment, or that life is not being just as it should be. Of course, as any normal person I have many times of wishing the pain were not there and that I could live pain free, and am distracted and irritated by the constant heaviness in my muscles and dull ache all over my body instilling lethargy and lack of motivation. However, beyond that, life is just as it is, flowing and moving as it always does. There is nothing lacking and nothing to correct. Thinking like this many times in the early hours of the morning has allowed sufficient resistance to drop to get back to sleep, rather than fighting life as it is.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Angel

It is normally a month or two in advance but Jundo may already have an idea of what is coming next and be able to share it with you earlier. If you do struggle financially with getting a book, do let us know as members can often offer to send a book as an offering.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    We will be with Zen Master's Dance at least a year I think. Not too late to jump in.

Gassho, J

stlah

ps - where is it out of stock (I will let my publisher know)?

pps - we can help with cost somehow if an economic hardship.
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-11-2021 at 01:44 PM.

As most of you know, I experience pain on a daily basis. There is no day that goes by without some degree of physical pain for me.
    However, as Jundo describes, just because there is pain does not mean there is anything wrong with the moment, or that life is not being just as it should be.
    As with most life lessons I've learned, I had to repeat this one many times. It is this: On every path that life forced me down, in spite of my kicking and screaming, I found something on that path that was so valuable that I would have paid twice the price willingly - had I known it was there. Chronic pain has become a brutal, yet beloved teacher.

- where is it out of stock (I will let my publisher know)?
    My go to bookseller is thriftbooks - a very economical online used bookstore. Often, the better a book, the less likely someone is to part with it.

- we can help with cost somehow if an economic hardship.
    If you do struggle financially with getting a book, do let us know as members can often offer to send a book as an offering.
    I am very grateful for the offer. Although I am on a small, fixed income, I do not struggle financially. My needs are minimal and always met - in part because I try to meet my wants by looking toward places like used bookstores first. The offer was a gift in itself.

Angel - sat

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I am very grateful for the offer. Although I am on a small, fixed income, I do not struggle financially. My needs are minimal and always met - in part because I try to meet my wants by looking toward places like used bookstores first. The offer was a gift in itself.

Angel - sat
    Oh, well, then please buy the book and read it in order to participate in this group discussion.

I have a kid in college, I need the money!

(If you had real financial need that made it a hardship, I would have gotten you some copy).

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    OK guess another dog story, in the painful and sad arena.

Our aging German Shepperd is 12 1/2 years old and gradually deteriorating over the last few years. She was a big 45kg girl but has lost quite a few kilos, mainly muscle mass in her rear legs. Its is painful to see the decline but we have been through this many times before, as she is our 5th dog and perhaps the most loyal. To see her slowly withering away, there is no better expression, obviously is hard to accept without sadness.

Despite all this, she is still really excited about her daily walks. She perks up at the word "car" or "walk" eyes bright and shining. These days she needs to take a run up to get into the back of the car when leaving the house. Hasn't quite made it a few times but still not needing to be lifted but that will be done when needed (plus we have a special ramp, that we got for our passed Collie X who had life long leg problems.

As the EuroKiwi crew will know she sits with me ever morning without fail and does Zazen better than I. Without fail, unless it is heavy rain, we walk on a path that leads up to Mont St Michel here in France. It is always tranquil and peaceful but busy with tourists most of the year, until now. From November to February its pretty much our own and I can let off the lead with peace of mind. Despite frailty, she get caught up sniffing some odour but puts on a burst of speed (well I guess a trot these days) to catch me up. And seeing her free, eyes shinning and mobile in this way give me so much pleasure and joy.

She is sleeping at my side as I type. Still bringing me joy as she does a "doggy dream" obviously running in her mind.

So despite the sadness and pain, I can accept that there is nothing I can do to ease the situation and accept the decline will continue until she is no longer with us or the time comes to do the "right thing".

We enjoy each day as it comes. It is what it is.

Suchness.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Much metta to you Seishin; I know your pain unfortunately, but having those little pets is so worth it. Shepherds are so magestic; my parents had one named Blitzen, who used to stand guard by my crib as a baby and, when I got older, they had one named Dutchman. They were beautiful, loyal and very intelligent and loving (if they approved of you; otherwise watch out! lol)

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 11-16-2021 at 02:51 PM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Kind words, deep bows.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I can face the oncoming winter with a fair degree of dread, faced with months of snow, freezing temperatures, a shut-up house, shortened days, feeling cold, shoveling, driving in bad weather... everything is a mess. The anticipation lessens my enjoyment of or peace with the present moment. Being in the dark hours of winter makes troubling things more troubling. It can make pain more painful. Winter can be emotionally restricting, and make it easy to see things negatively.

There is nothing to do about it. There is no other place to be. Each moment is whole and complete. This moment is what it is, and nothing else is anything at all. This is what this time is for. The cold comes. The snow falls. I can gripe and it will be winter. I can smile and it will be winter. My zafu is the same.

Zero control.

Winter makes it nice to read by a fire. Comfy winter clothes. Deep blankets. Sunlight on fresh snow. My vehicle looks cool with snow tires.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Picking up my children's toys. I used to feel very frustrated with the mess and hated having to get down on the ground to clean them up each night.

More recently since returning to practice I approach it with a samu/shikantaza type approach. Not doing it for another reason than doing it for its own sake.

I actually enjoy doing it now with this perspective.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)

Having some nights of insomnia. It feels frustrating, because until recently I had never had problems to fall asleep. And then I start thinking about how to solve the problem. Of course, by thinking about it, it only gets worse. When I come back to Shikantaza while lying down, nothing to do, just being, feeling that everything is ultimately OK no matter what is going on, things have gotten better. And the days that I can't sleep, it still feels much better because I embrace what is happening and the resistance simply dissolves.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

I wouldn't say it's tedious, because I love food, but I'm going to use eating as my example because it's the best one I have and an area of life where I've experienced a profound change since beginning to practice Buddhism.

For most of my life, I haven't truly enjoyed food (or even tasted it). I have always spent my mealtimes doing something else. When I was in school, I was forced to eat as quickly as possible much of the time (due to very poor planning on the administration's part) and if I wasn't eating as quickly as possible, I was reading a book or working on homework. As an adult, I have a tendency to eat while looking at my phone. Before I know it, my food is gone and I scarcely remember having eaten it!

As I started to practice Buddhism, this changed. I was reading Bringing the Sacred to Life and I read about the meal gatha, and I decided to start practicing it. Giving thanks to all beings really made me contemplate each part of my meal. I found myself putting my phone down and just tasting the food on my plate. Each ingredient really came to life for me. Even a can of blueberry pomegranate seltzer, which before would have just tasted vaguely purple, sprang to life as I contemplated each blueberry and pomegranate seed within. With my morning coffee I contemplate each bean, and truly taste it (and the sweetness of the sugar, and the richness of the cream).

I certainly didn't start out studying and practicing Buddhism with the idea that I would develop profound new appreciation for food, and I am pleasantly surprised!

Gassho,
    SatLah

-Kelly

I can relate to this. I was raised with the Christian concept of "giving thanks" for food, gifts, etc, but as Kelly pointed out, meals often had to be rushed or multi-tasked due to our fast-paced society, and still do.

I deeply appreciate the practice of giving thanks, but prefer some methods over others. I have difficulty remembering gathas (haven't found a solution to this yet). However, a Japanese student I've been working with has been creating presentations about Japanese culture and history. Through our sessions, I started picking up some phrases that I now use regularly or frequently.

One such phrase that I use daily, as a prayer of gratitude and respect for meals and otherwise, is 'Itadakimasu' -- which I will not attempt to translate into English here, due to its multiple layered meanings. My understanding is it's humble gratitude and respect, and something like a verbal Deep Bow all in one -- and much more. It also has the effect of 'pausing' my mind and my mouth, and presenting a single focus. If I don't pause, then I am disregarding that which I just gave thanks for, which would be disrespectful.

Gassho2
    [st-lh]
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    I can relate to this. I was raised with the Christian concept of "giving thanks" for food, gifts, etc, but as Kelly pointed out, meals often had to be rushed or multi-tasked due to our fast-paced society, and still do.

I deeply appreciate the practice of giving thanks, but prefer some methods over others. I have difficulty remembering gathas (haven't found a solution to this yet). However, a Japanese student I've been working with has been creating presentations about Japanese culture and history. Through our sessions, I started picking up some phrases that I now use regularly or frequently.

One such phrase that I use daily, as a prayer of gratitude and respect for meals and otherwise, is 'Itadakimasu' -- which I will not attempt to translate into English here, due to its multiple layered meanings. My understanding is it's humble gratitude and respect, and something like a verbal Deep Bow all in one -- and much more. It also has the effect of 'pausing' my mind and my mouth, and presenting a single focus. If I don't pause, then I am disregarding that which I just gave thanks for, which would be disrespectful.

Gassho2
    [st-lh]

This is beautiful! I had to look it up: https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/itadakimasu-meaning/

I love the concept and I may start using it!

Gassho,
    SatLah
    -Kelly