Thread: Oct. 1st-2nd, 2021 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Dedicated to Reiyu Payen

Oct. 1st-2nd, 2021 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Dedicated to Reiyu Payen

Our Zazenkai today is dedicated to an heir of my Dharma Brother Tenryu Bazy in France, Christian Reiyu Payen, whom I never met but who, I learned, passed from this world last December.
    Today's Talk will reflect on
    Further Passages from the Vimalakirti Sutra

(text below in this thread)

Christian Reiyu Payen

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London Midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-01-2021 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added youtube one-way video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today's Talk will reflect on Further Passages from the Vimalakirti Sutra ... Chapter III (the Arhats) ...

We will see further examples of how this tale seeks to blend an idealized view of the Bodhisattva with life on earth, in this complicated world.

~~~~~~~~

At that time the rich man Vimalakirti thought to himself: "I am lying here sick in bed. Why does the World-Honored One in his great compassion fail to show some concern for me?"

The Buddha, aware of this thought, said to Shariputra, "You must go visit Vimalakirti and inquire about his illness."

But Shariputra replied to the Buddha in these words: "World-Honored One, I am not competent to visit him and inquire about his illness. Why? Because I recall one occasion in the past when I was sitting in quiet meditation under a tree in the forest.

"At that time Vimalakirti approached and said to me, 'Ah, Shariputra, you should not assume that this sort of sitting is true quiet sitting! Quiet sitting means that in this threefold world you manifest neither body nor will. This is quiet sitting. Not rising out of your samadhi of complete cessation and yet showing yourself in the ceremonies of daily life-this is quiet sitting. Not abandoning the principles of the Way and yet showing yourself in the activities of a common mortal-this is quiet sitting. Your mind not fixed on internal things and yet not engaged with externals either-this is quiet sitting. Unmoved by sundry theories, but practicing the thirty-seven elements of the Way-this is quiet sitting. Entering nirvana without having put an end to earthly desires-this is quiet sitting. If you can do this kind of sitting, you will merit the Buddha's seal of approval.'

"At that time, World-Honored One, when I heard him speak these words, I remained silent, for I had no way to reply to them. That is why I am not competent to visit him and inquire about his illness."

~~~~~~~

'Ah, Maudgalyayana, when you expound the Dharma for the white-robed lay believers, you should not expound it the way you are doing! ... 'The Dharma knows nothing of living beings, because it is removed from the defilement of such concepts as "living beings." The Dharma knows nothing of "I," because it is removed from the defilement of such concepts as "I." It knows nothing of a life span, because it knows nothing of birth and death. ... The Dharma is without characteristics, because it is without anything that can be perceived. The Dharma is without names or appellations, because it is cut off from all language. The Dharma is without any expounding, because it is removed from broad or minute contemplation by the mind. ... Ah, Maudgalyayana, since the characteristics of the Dharma are such as these, how can one expound it? Expounding the Dharma means no expounding, no demonstrating, and listening to the Dharma means no listening, no grasping. It is like a conjurer of phantoms expounding the Dharma for phantom persons. It is with this understanding that you should expound the Dharma.'

~~~~~~~

Vimalakirti said [to Upali, about monks who had broken some Precepts], ' ... when all living beings gain an understanding of the nature of the mind, then no defilement exists. Ah, Upali, deluded thoughts are defilement. Where there are no deluded thoughts, that is purity. Topsy-turvy thinking is defilement. Where there is no topsy-turvy thinking, that is purity. Belief in the self is defilement. Where there is no such belief, that is purity. ... All phenomena are the product of deluded vision, like dreams, like flames, like the moon in the water or an image in a mirror, born of deluded thoughts. One who understands this is called a keeper of the precepts, one who understands this is called well liberated.'

~~~~~~~

'Ah, Rahula, you should not speak of the benefits and blessings gained by leaving the household life. Why? Because to be without benefits and without blessings is to leave household life. ... in the realm of the unconditioned there are no benefits, no blessings. Rahula, leaving the household life is not that, not this, and not in between. ... It means not troubling others but removing oneself from sundry evils, refuting the non-Buddhist doctrines, transcending the realm of makeshift names, shaking off mud and defilement. It is without ties or attachments, without personal possessions, without thought of possessions, without fluster or confusion. It means harboring joy within, guarding the minds of others, pursuing the practice of meditation, and freeing oneself from all fault. If one can do all this, then one has truly left the household.' ... [Y]ou should set your minds on attaining anuttara-samyak-sambodhi,' said Vimalakirti. 'That is the same as leaving the household, the same as taking monastic vows.'

http://lirs.ru/lib/sutra/The_Vimalak...tson,1997.html

By the way, Upaya Zen Center seems to also be doing a series of Talks on the Vimalakirti Sutra for their "at home" Ango period, just like us. I have not listened to them yet, but they are bound to be good:

https://www.upaya.org/program/fall-p...iod-2/?id=2383
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2021 at 01:43 AM.

It's time to rock ...

And for those of you who would appreciate a life changing, philosophical explanation of the deeper powers of the HP ... how this ritual can truly heal broken hearts ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-01-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Having family commitments this evening, I will sit with the recording tomorrow and Sunday.
    Except for the Hokey Pokey, during which I will not sit.
    In the meantime, I will endeavor to avoid topsy-turvy thinking.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Them Zooms and YouTubes are connected and ready. See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I would prefer to be there live as usual, but after having an exceptionally exhausting week, I'm going to sit this one later for a change.

Please save me a square on the screen for the hokey pokey though...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

I will also be sitting and hokey-pokeying this one on demand, due to family commitments.

Gassho,
    Charity
    ST

My apologies for not being present this evening- I will sit with the recorded zoom one day later.
    My mother is visiting from across the country and we are attending a family memorial service - a different kind of zazen.
    See you next friday “in person”.
    ✨��✨
    Candy

Sat lah
    ✨💖🙏💖✨

Will be a recorded session for me as well this week. See you all in shifted space-time!

-sTLaH

Is anyone else unable to watch on YouTube besides the embed on this thread?

Gassho,
    William
    SatToday

Thank you, Jundo, and all.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

You are all appreciated, and thank you for your company and dedication!
    Jakuden, you were crystal clear and just great today. Thank you Jundo for everything!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you everyone. It was great. I was there for most of the time but had to nip out just before the metta, since the lawn needed mowing, the sun was shining, we're in lockdown and will have rain for the next few days. I have to say the talk motivated me to get on with it!
    Harald - satlah.
    Last edited by Eigan; 10-02-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, and everyone for your practice.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    You are all appreciated, and thank you for your company and dedication!
    Jakuden, you were crystal clear and just great today. Thank you Jundo for everything!

SatToday
    Aw thanks, Bion! Gratitude for everyone’s company and dedication here, too, and so nice to sit with visitors in Japan… and gratitude for Jundo’s talks that are so clear that no one has a question I have become kind of a Vimilikirti fan.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lovely ! Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you everyone who participated, knowing we've all come together and seeing all the squares is real motivation booster. Making what ordinarily would seem an impossible task, sitting for such an extended period consecutively, all the more possible.

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    浪省 - RouSei - Wandering Introspection

I shall strive to turn myself around, neither stupid nor smart but also both.
    ST
    Gassho,
    Chris

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Thank you everyone for the zazenkai. It's always a wonderful experience and a highlight of my week and month.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Doshin
    St

Thank you everyone who sat and will sit. Great Zazenkai and talk. Appreciate you all

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone for the pieces of peace©

Gassho
    Kantai

Sat/Lah

Sat with you and the recording yesterday and today and forgot to thank you.
    Thank you everyone!!!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat on demand as usual, thank you everone.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    I managed to join in this one today.

I had a teaching commitment so I missed the live session.

It's interesting that it's easy for me to attend once I decide to participate, but with the recording that I can play any time it was harder to set aside the time.

Sat
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

Thank you

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

I am in the best shape I've been in since I was in 2000 when I gave up smoking. That year began a down slide because I thought I had finlly conquored all addictive behaviors. There began a slide into debt. Also, co-depemdency plagued our every move. She told me what to do because she was making the money to support us in every way. I spent money from my psrt-time job, and all my disability money, then I spent our hosehhold money. That leads us to this year when I fiinally have taken responssssibility. Ironically last March the same momth I paid off a $5200 loan, I had taken out to pay off my own credit card debt another good and long story, I fell down the basement stairs causing concussion and seven stiches to my head and Arterial Venius Malformation in my Right Termporal Lobe of my brain. This was accidently picked up when Kyosui my dear friend and a nurse convinced us to travel into Sioux Falls to the ER, because of siezures from AVM, to Sanford Health Hospita. All my records are this the September. On september 19th at 9:10 AM the surgeon Dr Voum, spet a little mor ethe risks and benifits of removal all in one hour explaining the risks and benifits of removing thids deadly AVM.Now I have brokrn thr addiction by deciding for mself to face brain sugery sometime the week after next with the agreement of all my doctors. My Theripist, my Physical therpist botth say I am ready. This Friday night, USA Central Daylight Time I will attend the Zazenkai if at all posible. I have made promises in the past which I have not kept. I say, the dept addiction and co-ddependancy are finally under control one day at a time. My last purchase made without thinking is a radio for my father who at age 91 remarried last year so the two of them can take care of each other as they get ready to die. I am facing life threyening journery myself. I've given my father a radio which he does not need, but this is given out of love. At Christmas time I will make a gesture for his wife to show them a gesture o recognition for both of them. This Fiday night I will be free all exceept my surgery which I know will be painful to my Ankylosing Spondylitis, on of the most painful forms of arthritis, and I will be okay, I will feel this stabbing cutting paain and not cry out. I have learned to relieve pain with meditation. Today in 18 minutes I am practicing shikantaza while sitting with Onkai.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆