Thread: To You

To You

Hello Friends,

Just a heads up, the Kindle version of To You by Kodo Sawaki (edited by Rev Muho, former abbot of Antaiji) is now available. The paperback will follow on 1 October.

ISBN ‎1942493703

Most of the text is available on Antaiji's site already, but it's nice to have it compiled into one volume.

For those unfamiliar, Kodo Sawaki is a "Dharma Grandfather" of Jundo's, having been one of Nishijima Roshi's teachers. He is known for his pithy commentary and fiery wit.

This volume makes a nice companion to Discovering the True Self (Ed. Arthur Braverman) and The Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo (Ed. Shohaku Okumura)

Gassho,
    SatToday
    Last edited by Kaishin; 09-25-2021 at 08:46 PM.

oooo nice! I’m getting the physical copy; I read e-books but I’m still old school or just old lol

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Heh, I use both as well. Ebooks are great for searching, scaling font size, annotations, etc. But I enjoy the feel of a book in the hands, and these days it's a nice break from digital screens.

-sT

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post

For those unfamiliar, Kodo Sawaki is a "Dharma Grandfather" of Jundo's, having been one of Nishijima Roshi's teachers. He is known for his pithy commentary and fiery wit.
    Hi Kaishin,

I echo all that you wrote, but I need to clarify the above. Homeless Kodo Sawaki was informally Nishijima Roshi's first teacher, from the late 1930s, but Nishijima was not Ordained by, nor received Dharma Transmission, from him, so he is not my "Dharma Grandparent." Nishijima Roshi was Ordained, and received Dharma Transmission, from Rempo Niwa Zenji, who was to be the Abbot of Dogen's Temple, Eiheiji, and later the head priest of the Soto-shu.

However, Sawaki Roshi was a lifelong influence and inspiration to Nishijima Roshi, and remains so for us here.

And everyone should read those books at some point. Kodo Sawaki was a "tell it like it is," grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, take no guff, pull no punches treasure for us all.

https://wisdomexperience.org/product...homeless-kodo/

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Sorry to run long.
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-26-2021 at 02:02 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Muho has just posted a video with some more information about the book and its history:

-sTLaH
    Gassho,

The thing is constantly out of stock on Amazon, and I blame you

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

same thing happened with hislast book. Slow out of the gate

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Just FYI, the book is in stock at Hohm Press, the publisher, and you can purchase it directly from them if other distributors are out of stock.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    Just FYI, the book is in stock at Hohm Press, the publisher, and you can purchase it directly from them if other distributors are out of stock.

Gassho,
    然芸 Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    But maybe if we buy it through Amazon, Mr. Bezos will fly Muho to space?

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah
    Muho says: “nah.. I’m good!”

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah

hahahahaha

Gassho,

Risho
    -stlah

ok so just to provide an update - it's being personally delivered by Mr Bezos this evening

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

I pre-ordered months in advance, and still only received it last week! It's a nice pocket-sized book. The spine on mine arrived already splitting away. At first I was annoyed, then I could just here ol' Sawaki Roshi in my head...

To You Who is Worried About Damaged Books
    -- Idiot! You are worried about the spine of your book falling apart? Your own spine is also falling apart! Now what?!
    😁

-stlah

hahhahha

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

-- Idiot! You are worried about the spine of your book falling apart? Your own spine is also falling apart! Now what?!
    ��

-stlah

I pre-ordered months in advance, and still only received it last week! It's a nice pocket-sized book. The spine on mine arrived already splitting away. At first I was annoyed, then I could just here ol' Sawaki Roshi in my head...

��

-stlah

What I spent good money on a new book that has yet to arrive and now I learn it’s falling apart!

Doshin
    St

To say these are important, is negligible.

The way they speak is paramount.

Please read.

LaH
    SatToday

Geoff.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?