Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Zen Master's Dance - 2 - How To Read Dogen (to p. 12)

It makes me uncomfortable trying to imitate Master Dogen, but here I go:

There is the Jewel that appears as a poor intoxicated man. There is the Jewel that appears as an intimate friend. There is the Jewel that appears as a priceless jewel, and the Jewel that appears as the poor man’s garment. The Jewel is the poor man, and the poor man is the Jewel. The poor man is the intimate friend and the intimate friend is the poor man. Both the poor man and the intimate friend are the Jewel. Neither the intimate friend sewed the Jewel to the poor man’s garment, nor the poor man to his friend’s one. Jewel and poor man were never separate. Once the poor man becomes the Jewel, the whole universe becomes the Jewel.

I don't know, something like that
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post

Many kalpas past a old drunkard went to visit his long term friend, a businessman who he had know since the were but born. Arriving at his friends lodgings he could barely keep his eyes open. Dearest friend, I embark on a journey but before I go and before the wine induces sleep, I must offer you a gift. The old drunkard produced a jewel, so magnificent it was if it contained the whole Univesre such was its radiance. Bowing deeply the businessman accepted the gift and his old friend fell into deep stupor. While he slept the businessman fashioned an amulet in which he placed the jewel, such he hung around his old friends neck, who slept on in complete oblivion.
    The next morning the old drunkard awoke to find he was completely blind, thinking thus was his karma for his behaviour the previous evening, knowing his friends lodging intimately, he fled as his embarrassment enveloped him.
    For a decade he stumbled from tavern to tavern, in the ten direction and in many countries, always regretting that night and wondering what became of his lifelong friend.
    One desolate night in the depths of a gloomy tavern, he heard and old familiar voice and called out from the darknes, friend is that you, how have you found me. The business replied but I was always with, I never left your side. The old drunkard look confused but pressed on and asked, what became of the wonderous jewel I bestowed upon you, did you sell it to provide wealth and haven for your family ?
    The businessman replied, it was not mine to take and was not yours to give. But I have one just like it and have always possessed it, as you do. The amulet over the old drunkards heart, issued forth a intense heat and clutching the pouch and realising the content his blindness vanished in a flash and he was immediately sober.
    Now clutching his original jewel and comparing it to that of his friend, he immediately became enlightened. Why they are as identical as two grains of sand, he exclaimed.
    All grains of sand, responded his friend, and all sentient beings, like you posses such a jewel but like you were too blind to see.

I'm more rock than jazz btw

sat
    ANOTHER wonderful and meaningful story ... BUT NOT the lesson task!

I am not quite sure why the assignment is being so misunderstood. Something is missing in my explanation obviously that is causing folks to miss the point. The point is to write and sound like Dogen.

In any case, Seishin, please do instead the "SECOND ASSIGNMENT" that I just posted.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...l=1#post291073

Hopefully, although more confining than the original assignment, it gets the point of the lesson across better.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-04-2021 at 05:34 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    It makes me uncomfortable trying to imitate Master Dogen, but here I go:

There is the Jewel that appears as a poor intoxicated man. There is the Jewel that appears as an intimate friend. There is the Jewel that appears as a priceless jewel, and the Jewel that appears as the poor man’s garment. The Jewel is the poor man, and the poor man is the Jewel. The poor man is the intimate friend and the intimate friend is the poor man. Both the poor man and the intimate friend are the Jewel. Neither the intimate friend sewed the Jewel to the poor man’s garment, nor the poor man to his friend’s one. Jewel and poor man were never separate. Once the poor man becomes the Jewel, the whole universe becomes the Jewel.

I don't know, something like that
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah
    Yeah, not bad, Nikos. You only mixed and matched two or three of the elements (jewel, poor man, friend mostly. garment too a little), so it's just a little plain and repetitive (it is possible to find many interesting phrases in the passage to mix up and play around with), and not as wild and tangled as it could be, but that is the basic idea.

Pretty good.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-04-2021 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    SECOND ASSIGNMENT

Hmmm. I am surprised that folks struggled with this exercise so much. I am going to give another try. It is a bit "paint by numbers" Dogen, but the point is to get a sense of his style.
    Well assuming I did well with my attempt I want to offer what clicked for me on the original exercise.

In the Dogen version of the Lotus Sutra passage Dogen used the term “turning of the flower of Dharma” that was not in use in the original. My thoughts when I saw this immediately leapt to the Flower Sutra story of the Buddha twirling a flower in front of his followers and only Mahakasyapa smiled. (Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Sermon). Dogen then “riffed” on the merged images between the two stories.

When I did my response I picked some images that came to mind related to the “jewel” which of course can be a reference to the Three Treasures (Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha) or the jewels in Indra’s Net or a metaphor for already having Buddha nature. From there I just went with it and tried to keep references to the original Lotus Sutra story while dropping in other themes.

I don’t know if this is helpful to anyone who is struggling. And Jundo please take this down if you find it is unhelpful to what you are trying to accomplish.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 10-03-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Well assuming I did well with my attempt I want to offer what clicked for me on the original exercise.

In the Dogen version of the Lotus Sutra passage Dogen used the term “turning of the flower of Dharma” that was not in use in the original. My thoughts when I saw this immediately leapt to the Flower Sutra story of the Buddha twirling a flower in front of his followers and only Mahakasyapa smiled. (Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Sermon). Dogen then “riffed” on the merged images between the two stories.

When I did my response I picked some images that came to mind related to the “jewel” which of course can be a reference to the Three Treasures (Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha) or the jewels in Indra’s Net or a metaphor for already having Buddha nature. From there I just went with it and tried to keep references to the original Lotus Sutra story while dropping in other themes.

I don’t know if this is helpful to anyone who is struggling. And Jundo please take this down if you find it is unhelpful to what you are trying to accomplish.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Ok here goes nothing! --

There is the great treasure in the appearance "before the Buddha" of the "treasure stupa" which is a “great city.” There is the desolate fearful place that is the “dangerous road,” whose breadth is “five hundred yojanas.” There is a wise leader by passable and impassable parts, whereby the city vanishes is comfortable and at ease and far from our destination, is free of the evil road. There is the turning of the flower of Dharma in springing out of the sky and abiding in the earth, which is limited by the eyes and limited by the body. The Leader realizes, Vulture Peak is within the city, and the treasure stupa is on the great city. Do not turn back!, and a great city magically creates the treasure stupa. The wise leader does reach a place with the passable and impassable parts, and the city vanishes with the great treasure. When the Buddha of Vulture Peak experiences this state of "enter the city", he also enters into the state of "magically creates". [. . .] This “great city,” “wise leader,” “magically creates,” and “treasure stupa” are not limited to Vulture Peak; They are simply “non-thinking.”

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Ok, let's try this one more time...

There are the (passable and impassable parts) in the "(dangerous road)” of the "(great city)" which is “(our destination).” There is the (desolate, fearful place) that is the “(dangerous road),” whose breadth is “five hundred yojanas.” There is a (desolate, fearful place) by (the dangerous road), whereby (the wise leader) is (comfortable and at ease) and (magically creates) (a great treasure).

The (wise leader) does (enter the desolate, fearful place) with (comfort and ease), and the (dangerous road) and does (magic) with the (passable and impassable parts). When the (wise leader) experiences this state of (comfort and ease), he also enters into the state of (great treasure). [. . .] This “(road),” “(parts),” “(leader),” and “(easiness)” are not limited to (a great treasure); They are simply “non-thinking.”

st/rj

Risho, Nefretiti ...

Yeah, that's more like it!

As to ... last night, I listened to this and had to same reaction. Yet, I know that it is a powerful something being expressed here:

Lyrics: not yet available online, but ... I can feel what's being said.

Gassho, J

ST

Having a go at this:

There is Buddha Nature in the house, Buddha Nature is the house of a close friend.
    There is Buddha Nature in becoming intoxicated with wine, never do that again.
    The man who came to the house was Buddha Nature.
    The Buddha Nature of the friend is his official business. The Official Business is his buddha nature.
    The inner garment contains the man’s Buddha Nature inside and out, and the jewel is sewn into all food and clothing he finds.
    The Priceless Jewel is in being satisfied if he just obtains a very meager amount.
    In saying: “O poor fellow! How have you come to this state through lack of food and clothing?”, the priceless jewel is sewn in to the garment.
    In saying: “It is still there, although you aren’t aware of it, and you seek your livelihood with great effort and hardship!”, the intimate friend falls asleep intoxicated, as a leap through the Jewels net. The jewel will be sold, but to what price? Knowing neither poverty not want, live as you wish.
    "You have been very foolish."
    That is the Official Business of foolishness.

Gassho
    Kantai

Sat

Any volunteers, among those I gave a "good," who would let me post their composition (without your name) on a Soto Zen facebook group as an example of the game? PM me if so.

Gassho, J

STLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Right this looks like nonsense so I might be on to something, if not I may just drop out

There is the fearful place in the great city of the desolated which is a city that vanishes There is the dangerous road that is the road to Vulture’s Peak, whose breadth is “five hundred yojanas.” There are passable and impassable parts seen by the turning of the Dharma flower, whereby the city vanishes and is free of the evil road still far from our destination. There is the wise leader in that great city he magically creates, who is comfortable and at ease. The dangerous road is long and unrelenting "Do not turn back!" the wise leader cries, and the Buddha sitting inside the stupa smiles, a great treasure is on the flowing stream. The Leader realizes the Dharma flower is that great treasure, "Do not turn back!" he cries once more and the Dharma flower opens revealing the Buddha of Vulture Peak before the timeless Buddha within the stupa. The non-thinking does think with the non-thinking mind, and the thinking mind does think with the non-thinking mind. When the traveller on the dangerous road experiences this state of thinking/non thinking he also enters into the state of the turning Dharma flower within and without the stupa.

This “within the stupa,” “before the Buddha,” “the treasure stupa,” and “space” are not limited to Vulture Peak; .... They are simply “non-thinking.”

OK I lifted the last part as my brain was hurting.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

aha - I mistakenly thought that the assignment was to basically take the passage and riff on it, emulating the spirit of Dogen. But, in fact, it was just to rearrange word order to actually do what Dogen did - sometimes it may reveal something new, sometimes it's just a feel/"grok", like you said in the book. I know you've said this before, but really doing it was something else and a good practice.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 10-04-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Right this looks like nonsense so I might be on to something, if not I may just drop out
    YEAH! Don't drop it baby!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-04-2021 at 02:16 PM.

WOT ?????? Was that what you are looking for Jundo ?

Deep bows

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you to all who volunteered to let me post your pieces on Facebook anonymously. I could have used any of them, all very nice, but I am going just to pick two as examples. Thank you to all.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA (close to Philadelphia)
    I made my living writing and editing technical and regulatory documents, so I am a bit out of my comfort zone with this type of "rifting" on words. I wanted to cheat and look at what others wrote, but I didn't. I am eager to see these other efforts!

Sometimes, after a hard day’s work and a meager supper, a poor man sits and ponders his past. He obsesses about how he has wandered from town to town and from country to country, looking for a high paying job but never finding one. “If I only had more money! I would be happy and not suffer so much.”

However, one evening, as he sits, he falls into reverie, and recalls drinking wine with a friend many years ago. Apparently, he passed out, because, in the morning, he was still at his friend’s house; he was lying on the floor, covered by his own coat. Through the fog of his hangover, he witnessed his friend sitting cross-legged on a cushion facing the wall. Falling asleep again, he dreamt that he saw his friend come over to him and sew a jewel into the hem of his coat.

Startled from his reverie, the man rips open the hem of his coat and finds the jewel. Surprised, he holds its perfection close. He sits with the jewel for a while that evening. When he holds the jewel it expands his mind, brings him happiness, and relieves his suffering. He will not sell the jewel but will keep it for the rest of his life. Eventually the jewel will come to be with him even when he is not sitting with it, even when he away from his home. He will always be poor, but now he will be content with his life.

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat today

Looks like I'm late to this thread and also missed the mark I enjoyed reading it all and am looking forward to seeing what Jundo posts on Facebook.

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat today.

I've only just noticed the second / repeat task.

As a few others have said, this task runs against every instinct I have in terms of how to treat texts and understand them snd I'm totally uncomfortable riffing or extemporizing.

So, this will take me a while to process and attempt anything.

Stewart
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by KathyW View Post
    I made my living writing and editing technical and regulatory documents, so I am a bit out of my comfort zone with this type of "rifting" on words. I wanted to cheat and look at what others wrote, but I didn't. I am eager to see these other efforts!

Sometimes, after a hard day’s work and a meager supper, a poor man sits and ponders his past. He obsesses about how he has wandered from town to town and from country to country, looking for a high paying job but never finding one. “If I only had more money! I would be happy and not suffer so much.”

However, one evening, as he sits, he falls into reverie, and recalls drinking wine with a friend many years ago. Apparently, he passed out, because, in the morning, he was still at his friend’s house; he was lying on the floor, covered by his own coat. Through the fog of his hangover, he witnessed his friend sitting cross-legged on a cushion facing the wall. Falling asleep again, he dreamt that he saw his friend come over to him and sew a jewel into the hem of his coat.

Startled from his reverie, the man rips open the hem of his coat and finds the jewel. Surprised, he holds its perfection close. He sits with the jewel for a while that evening. When he holds the jewel it expands his mind, brings him happiness, and relieves his suffering. He will not sell the jewel but will keep it for the rest of his life. Eventually the jewel will come to be with him even when he is not sitting with it, even when he away from his home. He will always be poor, but now he will be content with his life.

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat today
    Lovely, but not the task. Try again with the "Second Assignment," Kathy.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    I've only just noticed the second / repeat task.

As a few others have said, this task runs against every instinct I have in terms of how to treat texts and understand them snd I'm totally uncomfortable riffing or extemporizing.

So, this will take me a while to process and attempt anything.

Stewart
    Sat
    If it runs against your every instinct, then I am doing something right!

Think about how, when one learns to play the guitar, one first listens to tons and tons of recordings of famous solos ... Eddie Van Halen, Clapton, B.B. King ... and learns to mimic their phrases and styles, hearing and feeling what they are on about, trying to come as close as one can to "feel" what they were feeling in their stylings, memorizing and repeating and "faking" their phrasing ...

... and then, when one has the ear and feel, maybe one can get it, and how to really play.

When one learns a language, one does the same, listening to endless recordings of native speakers say "Donde esta la biblioteca" and copying that word for word, curled phrase by curled phrase, until one is able to have a feeling for, and an ear for the language.

Please try the assignment again. Better, please do the "Second Assignment" ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Jundo

The guitar analogy is good but if I applied Dogen to that and in respect of all those talented players you cite, he is not playing the scale notes, he is hitting the ones in between. At least that how I see it at times. And yes that may kinda be akin to Jazz, which is an acquired taste but is difficult to appreciate, listen to let alone understand sometimes. A like some jazz almost painful to hear. I am hoping as this continues, I might get to hear these nuances of the non-scale scale.

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Jundo

The guitar analogy is good but if I applied Dogen to that and in respect of all those talented players you cite, he is not playing the scale notes, he is hitting the ones in between. At least that how I see it at times. And yes that may kinda be akin to Jazz, which is an acquired taste but is difficult to appreciate, listen to let alone understand sometimes. A like some jazz almost painful to hear. I am hoping as this continues, I might get to hear these nuances of the non-scale scale.

sat
    Eddie Van Halen's Eruption Solo might have it ...

Gassho, J

STLah

I'll take your EVH and raise you Jimi at Woodstock, Just ignore all the understandable Lotus Sutra bits until he goes full Dogen.

If Buddhist were Christians, would this be blasphemy ? Coz if you raise me again I'll throw some Black Label Society in for good measure.

Oh and I hope your guitar journey continues down the middle way Grasshopper Roshi.

Ok you convinced me to stay !

Deep bows as always sire.

Sat n noodled.

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

OK....here goes nothing.

"[Dōgen says:] There is a great treasure in a great city of the wise leader which is a desolate, fearful place. There is the great treasure that is the dangerous road, whose breadth is five hundred yojanas. There is a great treasure by a great treasure, whereby our destination vanishes and is comfortable and at ease and is far from our destination. There is the great treasure in the dark place, which is free of the evil road. Great treasure is great treasure, and the great treasure is on the great treasure. Great treasure is a great treasure, and magically creates and opens passable and impassable parts for the entrance of the city. The wise leader does reach a place with the great treasure, and the great treasure does vanish with the desolate and fearful road. When the wise leader experiences this state of comfort and ease, he also enters into the state of the dark place. [. . .] This “great treasure,” “wise leader,” “desolate road,” and “dark place” are not limited to themselves; They are simply “non-thinking.”

Stewart
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    OK....here goes nothing.

"[Dōgen says:] There is a great treasure in a great city of the wise leader which is a desolate, fearful place. There is the great treasure that is the dangerous road, whose breadth is five hundred yojanas. There is a great treasure by a great treasure, whereby our destination vanishes and is comfortable and at ease and is far from our destination. There is the great treasure in the dark place, which is free of the evil road. Great treasure is great treasure, and the great treasure is on the great treasure. Great treasure is a great treasure, and magically creates and opens passable and impassable parts for the entrance of the city. The wise leader does reach a place with the great treasure, and the great treasure does vanish with the desolate and fearful road. When the wise leader experiences this state of comfort and ease, he also enters into the state of the dark place. [. . .] This “great treasure,” “wise leader,” “desolate road,” and “dark place” are not limited to themselves; They are simply “non-thinking.”

Stewart
    Sat

[Dōgen says:] There is the (great treasure) in the "(wise leader)” of the "(great city)" which is a “(great treasure).” There is the (great treasure) that is the “(desolated, fearful place),” whose breadth is “five hundred yojanas.” There is a (dangerous road) by (the great city), whereby (the city vanishes) is (the great treasure) and (the great treasure) is (the city vanishes). There is the (great city) in (the desolated, fearful place), which is (the great treasure). (The great city) is (free from the evil road), and the (wise leader) is on (passable and impassable parts). (The Leader realizes) a (great treasure), and (“Do not turn back”) opens (a great city) for the (city vanishes). The (great city) does (vanish) with the (wise leader), and the (wise leader) does (not vanish) with (the great city). When the (wise leader) experiences this state of (desolation and fear), he also enters into the state of (comfort and ease). [. . .] This “(wise leader),” “(great treasure),” “(desolation and fear),” and “(comfort and ease)” are not limited to (the great city); They are simply “non-thinking.”

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat today
    Last edited by KathyW; 10-08-2021 at 01:21 AM.

[Dōgen says:] There is the (great treasure) in the "(wise leader)” of the "(great city)" which is a “(great treasure).” There is the (great treasure) that is the “(desolated, fearful place),” whose breadth is “five hundred yojanas.” There is a (dangerous road) by (the great city), whereby (the city vanishes) is (the great treasure) and (the great treasure) is (the city vanishes). There is the (great city) in (the desolated, fearful place), which is (the great treasure). (The great city) is (free from the evil road), and the (wise leader) is on (passable and impassable parts). (The Leader realizes) a (great treasure), and (“Do not turn back”) opens (a great city) for the (city vanishes). The (great city) does (vanish) with the (wise leader), and the (wise leader) does (not vanish) with (the great city). When the (wise leader) experiences this state of (desolation and fear), he also enters into the state of (comfort and ease). [. . .] This “(wise leader),” “(great treasure),” “(desolation and fear),” and “(comfort and ease)” are not limited to (the great city); They are simply “non-thinking.”

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat today

This is a good time to mention that it does matter what element is placed near what element, for the musical and aesthetic effect. It is kind of like stringing beads in which the sequence of beads is important, and one does not want to create too much of a clash or lack of balance, but rather, wishes to create an interesting and powerful contrast and effect. It would be possible to string together, for example, in a way that did not sound good or failed to convey wisdom. For example:

There is a desolate, fearful place that is the dark place and an evil road, and the “desolate road” is “dark place”.

Maybe nice for a Heavy Metal song, but too dark for Dogen. I don't think that Dogen would say that, because it is just too much unrelenting darkness without relief.

So, one point in reading Dogen is to get an ear for the powerful, liberating feeling in how he strings the beads together. Let's keep our eyes and ears open for that as we read Dogen in the coming pages.

Dogen did not want an ugly necklace and chain of beads ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Ugly beads ...
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-08-2021 at 07:31 AM.

I didn't know that Zen was so much fun! I really enjoyed all of the posted video's, particularly Ella Fitzgerald and Mel Torme's scat and Theo Crocker et al. mixing rap and jazz.

I really resonated with Jundo's choice of "Give Up the Funk" in response to my post - in my youth I was a Parliament fan when they were do-wop ("I Wanna Testify") as well as when they were Funkadelic, but had pretty much forgotten them. I was great to revisit.

George Clinton rising out of the space ship reminds me of the woman rising out of the eye ball in the Busby Berkeley "Dames" video, but less disturbing.

Sorry to go on so long.

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat/Lah

I really resonated with Jundo's choice of "Give Up the Funk" in response to my post - in my youth I was a Parliament fan when they were do-wop ("I Wanna Testify") as well as when they were Funkadelic, but had pretty much forgotten them.
    Would love to see some photos of you back then! ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Sorry - I don't think I have any - destroyed the evidence I was a lot younger and a lot skinnier then. And I dressed funny.

Gassho,
    Kathy

Sat/LAH

The very heart of our practice is a priceless jewel sewn into our everyday garments. Everyday garments are none other than a priceless jewel. The priceless jewel is also rivers, mountains, trees, fences and tiles. Nanyue shining a tile to make a mirror is the priceless jewel, and Buddha holding up a flower is just a priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments.

Even when we live without knowing the priceless jewel is sewn into our garments, it is always like this. All of the buddha ancestors of the ten directions and three times realised it, and no amount of cloud can cover the sky.

Each day in Ango from beginning to end is the priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments, and there is no difference in Ango or not in Ango. Those who differentiate case aside heaven and earth and are fools who do not realise that the jewel is sewn into every garment and non-garment. The whole earth and six realms are none other than this.

Sitting upright, with eyes horizontal and nose vertical, there is no way for the priceless jewel not to be realised. It has always been like this and understood by all of the children of the Buddha. Examine this matter thoroughly.

Birth and death are just a priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments, the sixteen precepts are just a priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments. This truth should be realised by all. The priceless jewel is never apart from birth and death, and there is no way to separate the priceless jewel from the sixteen precepts.

Those who attain this matter do not make light of it, and those who realise the priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments are no different to all of the buddha ancestors and bodhisattvas and the total attainment of anuttara-samyak-sambodhi. It is the realisation of the whole world here and now, and coming face-to-face with Shakyamuni Buddha. This state is the treasury of the true dharma eye and the priceless jewel meeting with itself.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 10-14-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

Each day in Ango from beginning to end is the priceless jewel sewn into everyday garments, and there is no difference in Ango or not in Ango.
    Lovely. I could not find an Ango, but let us dance to a Zen Tango ...

Gassho, J

STLah

You wear a ragged cloak with empty pockets, wandering this lifetime believing you are penniless unable to satisfy your needs and wants easily. Living under this perception life is mired with unsatisfactoryness and struggle.

All the while you are unaware of the treasure you carry with you always. Sown inside the lining of your garment is a priceless jewel.

This jewel is your buddha nature, your true treasure. By rediscovering yourself, you will find it. Knowing yourself you come to realize the wealth of you have always carried. But to know yourself you must forget yourself.
    Jukai '09 Dharma Name: Shinko 慎重(Prudent Calm)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    You wear a ragged cloak with empty pockets, wandering this lifetime believing you are penniless unable to satisfy your needs and wants easily. Living under this perception life is mired with unsatisfactoryness and struggle.

All the while you are unaware of the treasure you carry with you always. Sown inside the lining of your garment is a priceless jewel.

This jewel is your buddha nature, your true treasure. By rediscovering yourself, you will find it. Knowing yourself you come to realize the wealth of you have always carried. But to know yourself you must forget yourself.
    No, try again. The point is to sound like Dogen and get his style. Look at some of my comments on what some other folks have written.

Gassho, J

STLah

No, try again. The point is to sound like Dogen and get his style. Look at some of my comments on what some other folks have written.

Gassho, J

STLah
    I was trying for a Miles goes electric fusion thing, obviously no clue what I'm doing will have to read more Dogen I suppose

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I was trying for a Miles goes electric fusion thing, obviously no clue what I'm doing will have to read more Dogen I suppose

Read the OP again, and just track his style of grammar and wording from the Dogen "Lotus Sutra" riffing sample in the book, and the example provided in the OP.

Gassho, J

STLah

Take two:

Upright Sitting turns the dharma wheel as non-thinking, thinking nonnthinking reveals the hidden jewel.

Tattered robes contain the treasure of true nature, this ruby.

Within the garment, hidden from view rests the buddha who is within all things and all things within him the intimate friend.

Take two:

Upright Sitting turns the dharma wheel as non-thinking, thinking nonnthinking reveals the hidden jewel.

Tattered robes contain the treasure of true nature, this ruby.

Within the garment, hidden from view rests the buddha who is within all things and all things within him the intimate friend.

Short, but that's pretty much the feeling. Thank you, Gregor.

Gassho, J

STLah

"(Every being) comes into this world asleep, as if in a drunken stupor, although the jewel of enlightenment is within us. The jewel is within us, though in our stupor, we do not know it.

We wander, unknowing, lost, full of suffering, blind to the fact that our salvation lies within us. We seek salvation, we seek solutions. We look outside of ourselves for relief from our suffering. We search high and low, we search in far away places. We are grateful for the smallest respite; we believe that is all we will attain.

One day, we awaken. We find the jewel! We realize that we have had the solution all along, for it has always been within us. Our salvation is right here! It is always here!"

I'm not sure how well I captured Dogen's wordplay (I suspect not very well) as this is my first encounter with his writing style. I am quite enthralled with this passage and am off to find and read the rest of the Lotus sutra (and the rest of this thread!)

Gassho,
    SatLah

-Kelly

SECOND ASSIGNMENT

Hmmm. I am surprised that folks struggled with this exercise so much. I am going to give another try. It is a bit "paint by numbers" Dogen, but the point is to get a sense of his style. See if the following helps:

Here is another parable from the Lotus Sutra, The Apparitional City:

The above is a tale of Expedient Means, explaining how the Buddha made certain early Teachings promising rewards that are like treasures held before peoples' eyes so that they will not give up the path.

Now, here are some elements of this story:

"desolated, fearful place"
    "dangerous road"
    "reach a place"
    "great treasure"
    "wise leader"
    "passable and impassable parts"
    "far from our destination"
    "magically creates"
    "a great city"
    "enter the city"
    "free of the evil road"
    "Do not turn back!"
    "the city vanishes"
    "comfortable and at ease"
    "The Leader realizes"

Now, here is the passage about the Great Flying Stupa from the Lotus Sutra in my book, with key words removed. Plug some (you need not use all, just as many as sounds good) of the above elements into the sentence structure. It is not a puzzle to find the right place for each, but rather, they should just have interesting sounds in juxtaposition and provocative relationships to each other:

The Original:

Please give "Paint By Numbers Shobogenzo" a try!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - And, yes, this reminds me of "mad libs," for anyone who remembers the kids' game. However, please don't do what I did when 11 years old, and put dirty words in all the blanks!

Dogen's Mad Libs! I love it.

"[Dogen says:] There is the (dangerous road) in the (great treasure) which is a (wise leader). There is the (great city) whose breadth is "five hundred yojanas". There is a (desolated, fearful place) by (a dangerous road), whereby (a wise leader) is (a great city) and (a great treasure) is (free of the evil road). There is (the desolated, fearful place) which is (a great city). (The great city) is (far from our destination) and the (wise leader) is on (the dangerous road). (The dangerous road) is a (great treasure) and (the great city) opens (passable and impassable parts) for the (wise leader). The (wise leader) does (reach a place) with (the great treasure). When the (great treasure) experiences this state of (freedom from the evil road), he also enters into the state of (wise leader). This "(great city)" "(wise leader)" and "(great treasure)" are not limited to (a great city); they are simply "non-thinking".

Gassho,
    SatLah

-Kelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12