Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Very Special Shukke Tokudo (Homeleaving) Priest Ordination this Sunday

A Very Special Shukke Tokudo (Homeleaving) Priest Ordination this Sunday

Dear All,

A member of Treeleaf named Christopher contacted me recently, expressing a hope to be Ordained as a Soto Zen Priest. Christopher is currently very ill and largely confined to bed, but giving it the good fight, through experimental radiation and chemotherapy treatment for cancer, not to mention a couple of heart attacks and a stroke along the way. In our conversations, Christopher seems to be flowing along with events, both gentle and tough as nails. I rarely would Ordain someone that I have known a short time, but Christopher is both student and master in what we call here the "Monastery of Hard Knocks."

So, this Sunday, September 19th, 2021, at [NEW TIME:] 3pm California time, 6pm New York time (11pm London, midnight Paris, although there will be a recording for people to join afterwards), I will conduct a Shukke Tokudo Homeleaving Ceremony for Christopher, to be viewable on the below screen:

The Ceremony should require about an hour.

Please join us if you can, and do post any words of encouragement or impressions in this thread.

From time to time, after undertaking Zen practice for many years, a person may feel in their heart a certain calling. They may wish to embody our practices, making a vow to live as a servant and minister to the community, to the Sangha and to all sentient beings. Traditionally, in India, China, Japan and the other Buddhist countries of Asia, one was expected to leave one’s home and family behind in order to begin the necessary training and practice of an “apprentice”. Thus, the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism became known as Shukke Tokudo, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”. This means to find our True Home right where we are, in whatever circumstances life brings.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

Last edited by Jundo; 09-20-2021 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Youtube video added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo...

Christopher, it will be a pleasure to join you for your Shukke Tokudo Ceremony. Metta to you as you prepare for this wonderful occasion.

Gassho Yokai sat/lent-a-hand

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What a wonderous event! My heart fills with compassion and hope. I look forward to seeing a new priest arise among our ranks. One day more shall follow, but for now you lead.

It really fills me with wonder to see the potential of beings to follow the path, even against what can sometimes seem the greatest of obstacles. Yet here you are as a testament to that itself being a delusional thought. Nothing can stop you from your path. I shall keep your example in my thoughts when I sit.

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    "We may hear and understand as well, yet in our daily lives still be subject to our habitual ways. And so we do zazen to cut all of this habitualization away. If we don’t cut, we end up carrying more and more burdens around."
    Finding Our Essence of Mind

Thank you Jundo and Christopher.
    My heart is full of joy.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you Jundo and Christopher. Deep bows.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo, Christopher.
    Deep bows.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Christopher, may you be well and may you continue to embody buddhahood! Thank you for setting an example and being a teaching!

SatToday
    Bion
    美音

-------------------------
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

Thank you Christopher. I will do my best to join this special event

Thank you for your practice

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Christopher,

This news brought a smile to my face. Enjoy the journey, and I look forward to seeing you along your way.

Gassho

Nanto

Sat/Lah

Oh, this is beautiful. Christopher, thank you for your practice.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Doshin
    St

Gassho, Christopher. Gassho, Jundo.

((stlah))
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA (close to Philadelphia)
    This is beautiful news! Thank you Christopher and Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kathy

St

Thank you Jundo, and Christopher.

Gassho,

heiso

StLah

Deep bows to you Christopher for your practice.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

This gladdens my heart. I will do my best to be there.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

Very inspirational. Thank you Christopher for your example and practice.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

The birds wing on into the distance.

The fish fin away into the deep waters.

gashho!
    ds sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui, take w/salt.

This is wonderful news. Deep bows to you Christopher, and to Jundo as well.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Many Gassho’s returned and much appreciation to the kindness and support shown me. It is hard for me to get online and post so I know I’m not well known on the message boards. I hope through me practice I can know you better as you practice in what I have told me mates can be on of the toughest things I have ever committed to, sitting. Thank you all again.
    Gassho
    JinKan Christopher P.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    On (Warm)
    Kai (Sea)
    I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Deep bows to all

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (有道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

TIME CHANGE: CEREMONY WILL BE 3 HOURS EARLIER (jundo's miscalculation )

Sunday, September 19th, 2021, at [NEW TIME:] 3pm California time, 6pm New York time (11pm London, midnight Paris, although there will be a recording for people to join afterwards)

Apologies. It will only be viewable at the one-way screen above too.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    TIME CHANGE: CEREMONY WILL BE 3 HOURS EARLIER (jundo's miscalculation )

Sunday, September 19th, 2021, at [NEW TIME:] 3pm California time, 6pm New York time (11pm London, midnight Paris, although there will be a recording for people to join afterwards)

Apologies. It will only be viewable at the one-way screen above too.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Well, that’s a fortunate “mistake”. It means I can make it

SatToday lah
    Bion
    美音

Join me on Insight Timer

How wonderful! I look forward to being part of this auspicious ceremony.

Thank you for your practice and dedication, Christopher!

------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Thank you Christopher.

Tony,
    The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

All the best
    Gasho
    Sat today

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X306X using Tapatalk

Wishing Christopher the best in this chosen path.
    Dave SAT /LAH

Thank you for your practice Christopher.

Gasho
    Seiko, stlah
    清 Sei (Pure)
    光 Ko (Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Great support can be gained by sitting quietly amongst friends.

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know the plan for the ceremony today.

Jundo, Christopher (and the Ino) will be meeting in the main sitting room (SSR). To keep things simple (and to keep their images large on the screen), it will only be the two of them. Please do not try to join the SSR at that time.

However, Shoka is going to attempt to share the ceremony in the Meeting Room so everyone can witness together in (almost) real time.
    https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=meet

If this Meeting Room experiment does not work out for some reason, the ceremony will also be streamed directly to youtube in the post at the top of this thread (so just watch one-way on youtube if the meeting room thing fails).

In any case, all is good, we are never separated.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Best wishes, Christopher, as you take this new step on the Way.

Gassho,
    Viveka
    st/lah

We are live in the meeting room, if anyone wants to sit with us.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    sat
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

Just so folks know, Christopher is a little delayed so we are waiting ...

Gassho, J

That was a beautiful ceremony! Many congratulations!

Siddhartha is an inspiration to me too.

Deep bows for your practice, dharma brother.

------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

What a beautiful ceremony. I'm glad I could witness it, and wish Jinkan well in his ordained journey.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 09-19-2021 at 11:41 PM.
    On (Warm)
    Kai (Sea)
    I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

What a wonderful ceremony to see and take part in. Gassho to Jinkan, Jundo and everyone who was there watching!

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    Last edited by WanderingIntrospection; 09-19-2021 at 11:49 PM.
    "We may hear and understand as well, yet in our daily lives still be subject to our habitual ways. And so we do zazen to cut all of this habitualization away. If we don’t cut, we end up carrying more and more burdens around."
    Finding Our Essence of Mind

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    What a beautiful day. Thank you Jinkan for your practice and service. Thank you to all who came together to witness.

So much gratitude.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

That was such a wonderful, moving, lovely ceremony. Congratulations Jinkan, and deep bows for your practice.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

I feel honored to have been witness to this home leaving! I am inspired, moved and encouraged. Jinkan, your physical effort today, your strength and devotion served as a great dharma talk, which I think we are all grateful for.
    Many bows to you and everyone in the sangha

SatToday lah
    Bion
    美音

Join me on Insight Timer

Deep bows to Jinkan what a wonderful day. Such a moving ceremony, I always cry at Shukke Tokudo.

Hugs to everyone who came together to witness.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sattoday
    香道 笑花
    Kodo Shoka

Please don't take anything I say as anything more than just a normal person's thoughts on the topic. I'm just stumbling through life trying to be helpful, but really don't know much.

wow

gassho
    ds sat/lah
    Visiting unsui, take w/salt.

Agreed, lovely ceremony. So happy to have had the privilege of seeing it. Congratulations Jinkan.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.

I had planned to be present and am so sorry to have missed, but I just
    sat with the video. Deepest gratitude Jinkan for your practice. It is wonderful to be walking alongside you on this path.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    She/her.
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Deep bows and thanks, Jinkan.
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Deepest bows & congratulations Jinkan!

What an honor to attend your ceremony. Your journey to priesthood is so inspiring. Today you have touched the lives of all of us. I'm sure you will continue to do so (not least with your sense of humor!)

Much Metta to you Jinkan and once again, deepest bows...

Gassho, Yokai sat/lent-a-hand

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Jinkan,

Congratulations

May this enrich your journey.

Doshin
    St

Thank you Jinkan and congratulations on your ordination!

Many bows to you

Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat

Jinkan, and thank you to be Treeleaf's Latest Home Leaver. Thank you Jundo and all for this beautiful ceremony. Jinkan, It is an inspiration to walk this path with you.

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast