Thread: Suicide Rates in UK

Suicide Rates in UK

If you can, please may I ask that we dedicate some of our practice this week to the families and the victims of suicide? Where I live - Lincoln - now has the highest suicide rate across England and Wales after a rise in numbers during the pandemic.

Bows

Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

I will dedicate my sit and send Metta to those who have been touched by suicide. Also, it’s getting to be time for my annual donation to a client’s suicide related charity, so I will do that.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

It is a terrible thing, but there has been no rise in suicides in the UK during the pandemic, quite the contrary. There was a lot of misinformation that circulated some months ago, fueled by anti-lockdown people, but a number of studies have shown that, at least through 2020 (numbers aren't available for 2021 yet, obviously) there has been a slight decline.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...087-9/fulltext

I've read that some people think that suicides have actually fallen a bit because of less workplace stress; it underscores how the government and employers need to think about allowing people who want to to work from home in the future, at least part of the time. I remember when I was committing to work in New York City, how stressful it was.

"One of the main drivers for the lower suicide rate across all England and Wales was a drop in men taking their own lives during the pandemic."

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/n...itical-5902534

It is perplexing why certain areas have higher suicide rates, and it's probably economic more than anything else. I'm not familiar with Lincoln, but I know there are some very deprived areas across the country.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

We always dedicate every sitting, ALWAYS, to those who may get so tangled in their own inner demons that they might consider to take their own life (for any reason short of terminal illness perhaps).

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We always dedicate every sitting, ALWAYS, to those who may get so tangled in their own inner demons that they might consider to take their own life (for any reason short of terminal illness perhaps).

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah

Seiko, stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

May all beings be free of suffering, may they be at ease through all their ills.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.