Thread: Local Meditation Groups

Local Meditation Groups

I am sorry, this post will be over three sentences.

The office I work in employs around 500 people locally. In early 2021 my employer's 'Mental Health First Aiders' and 'Health and Welfare Team' invited me to begin a meditation group in my workplace. As I have been working from home since March 2020, this will initially be via Zoom or Facebook Live, and eventually in-person or in-person+remotely. The start was delayed due to my illness this year, but I feel ready to begin now.

I have set up a Facebook group to provide people with a place where announcements about times and dates will be made. I have made it clear that I am not a Zen Teacher, and I signpost people to Treeleaf.

Has anyone else here already gained experience of facilitating a similar group? Please can you share your experiences? Are there particular things that you recommend I do? Are there definite pitfalls to avoid?

Thank you

Bows

Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 09-01-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Hi Seiko

That sounds like a great thing to do for your workplace colleagues.

I used to facilitate a sitting group here in my flat which I advertised in a local wholefood store and online. I don't really have any suggestions other than offer clear instructions both on how to sit and how long sits will be. Also, any etiquette you would like people to observe.

With both a Zoom group and in-person sits you might also want to think about how you deal with late-comers. Are you okay with people coming in quietly and just joining in during the first few minutes? Is there a cut-off after which people cannot join?

Enjoy!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Sekishi had a similar group around work, I believe, and we prepared some materials for that (basically, instructions on sitting Zazen with all the "Buddhism" taken out, as is more fitting for a work place group). I have no idea if those will be useful to you, and the style of the group, but you are welcome to use them. I will have Sekishi contact you or post here, and he can write about his experience too.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Seiko,

I have been facitating groups for the last three years. A few things to consider:

Health status of participants.
    Appropriate clothing for the session.
    Description of what you are proposing and possibly non allegiance to sects/gurus etc.
    Entry to the place in silence if they come late.
    On Zoom, mute everyone when the meditation starts.

I wrote a corporate training program on mental health this year and it got approved by the local authorities. However, so many words couldn't be used in the manual..

Take care,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

I think that a set of materials and general guidance for this would be useful for many people.

A former work colleague of mine is doing a similar role in their new work. I occaisionally have some of my students approach me and ask about meditation. I usually say I have nothing to teach about the subject and give them a list of a couple of places such as Treeleaf, a local group, an online course, that sort of thing. Often, they then don't make the next step or bother following the links, whereas if I sat and went through things with them, maybe they would feel more encouraged.

It would be nice to have the appropriate materials and be able to be a bit more supportive, but I am also wary of overstepping the boundaries of my competence.

Gassho,
    Sōka
    sat

The Thich Nhat Hanh folks (Plumb Village) have a Sangha in a Box and a handbook for starting a new Sanga.

https://thichnhathanhfoundation.org/...ding-resources

It looks the Sangh in a Box is on hold for the moment. But you can see it is basically some of Thay's books, a bell, some recordings. But it gives an idea of where to start.

The handbook also gives a blueprint of how to set things up. It is very Plumb Village centric but it might serve as a starting point/ general guideline on how to start a sangha.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Jundo, I'd appreciate a look at those resources too if they're quite different from the ones at Plum Village that Shinshi mentioned.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

A couple of years ago a meditation group was started at my workplace but the pandemic put a stop to it. I was way too inexperienced to facilitate it, so I can’t really offer any advice there, but something to be aware of was that the first one was well attended with around 20 people, but this dwindled to 2-3 pretty quickly and I even sat on my own a couple of times. I hope that’s not the case for you, but don’t feel too bad if it does happen.
    Last edited by DanM; 09-03-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Sekishi, can you post a link to our materials for facilitating a workplace group? Thank you.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Sekishi, can you post a link to our materials for facilitating a workplace group?
    That actually wasn’t me (I’ve been self-employed for 23 years now). But I’m 99% sure I know who it was. I’ll check in with them tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #noboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    That actually wasn’t me (I’ve been self-employed for 23 years now). But I’m 99% sure I know who it was. I’ll check in with them tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #noboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Sekishi,
    If you can find the person or the resource material, that would be a big help. Thank you.

Bows

Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Hi Sekishi,
    If you can find the person or the resource material, that would be a big help. Thank you.

Bows

Seiko
    stlah
    We found it, and are going to update it a bit for you (it referred to another company, so we need to take that out). Please stand by.

The content of our is geared more toward a Shikantaza style of "meditation" than probably found in materials from Thich Nhat Hanh/Plum Village, I would assume.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

We found it, and are going to update it a bit for you (it referred to another company, so we need to take that out). Please stand by.

The content of our is geared more toward a Shikantaza style of "meditation" than probably found in materials from Thich Nhat Hanh/Plum Village, I would assume.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    That's great! Thank you.

Bows Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Seiko,

I updated the text, and now we are working on some issues about the photos. Hopefully, we will have something for you this week. Is that timely?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Seiko,

I updated the text, and now we are working on some issues about the photos. Hopefully, we will have something for you this week. Is that timely?

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Hi Jundo,
    Whenever you can. Thank you.

Bows
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Hi Jundo,
    Whenever you can. Thank you.

Bows
    Seiko
    stlah
    It is ready, and I will PM you a link today.

We will keep the document in a place where anyone else thinking of starting a workplace or like group can contact us for access to it.

Gassho, J

STLah

Hi Jundo,

Would it be possible for me to get a copy too? My boxing coach has been trying to get me to run an introduction session(s) for his club for a while, so it would be nice to support his efforts there.

Gassho,
    Sōka
    sat