Thread: Online video course about the Flower Ornament Scripture

Online video course about the Flower Ornament Scripture

The Flower Ornament Scripture is like the Finnegans Wake of Buddhism. One day, I'll read it, but at some 1,500 pages, it'll be hard to keep the thread. There's an online video course launching soon, led by Robert Thurman:

https://thusmenla.org/p/flower-ornament-sutra

It is priced anywhere from free to a lot of money, and some Treeleaf members might be interested.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Interesting thank you Ryumon!

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Thanks, Ryumon! I am tempted to do this as part of Ango but think that just keeping up with the reading will be pretty tough going given the length of the sutra. I do have a copy of Cleary's translation though.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Well, crap. I don't need this just now.

Or maybe I do.

I donno.

I'm signing up.

St
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

It sounds lovely. I may sign up.

Of course, knowing Professor Robert Thurman (Uma's dad! ) there may be a somewhat Tibetan flavored take on the lectures ... or not (he is an excellent teacher and translator).

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It sounds lovely. I may sign up.
    Ah, good... I shall eagerly await the Jundo (Blue) Cliff's Notes summary 😁

-satToday

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    Ah, good... I shall eagerly await the Jundo (Blue) Cliff's Notes summary ��

-satToday

Yes!

Doshin
    St

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    It has been interesting so far. Robert Thurman is a trip! The video portion seems to have no important content so I've extracted the audio and loaded in my podcast app so I can listen anywhere.

He's not much of a fan of American Zen folks. Talking about a Zen koan:
    That zen Master knows, unlike American Zen practitioners who are caught in the cultural web of materialism where the nothing is what the ultimate, the dark matter is the ultimate thing is. Nothingness. They sold themselves into that hole. Trapped in that trap.
    Still, he's quite enthusiastic and has encourage me such that after ango I will finally read it.

Sat
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

I'm so glad these were recorded so I can still take advantage of this, even though I'm only hearing about it well over a month after it began

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)