Thread: Zen practice and Parenting by Shohaku Okumura

Zen practice and Parenting by Shohaku Okumura

I have just found this and thought it was worth sharing

Gassho
    Sat
    Last edited by Inshin; 08-28-2021 at 10:20 AM.

“Sit” was actually directed by Yoko, Shohaku’s daughter.
    It is fascinating to notice the tremendous differences in perception between the father and his Zen monk approach to life and the kids.
    He is a wonderful teacher, without a doubt.

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Loved how at the end Okumara gives a philosophical talk about going about our lives like fish and a bird and, the movie finishes with his son serving two dishes saying "bird" and the "fish"

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    Loved how at the end Okumara gives a philosophical talk about going about our lives like fish and a bird and, the movie finishes with his son serving two dishes saying "bird" and the "fish"

Gassho
    Sat
    His son eventually ended up finishing his studies .. culinary school or something.

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post

Gassho
    Sat
    By the way, his name is Shohaku Okumura

SatToday
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    By the way, his name is Shohaku Okumura

SatToday
    Thank you! I've changed it. I'm notorious for misspelling names

Gassho
    Sat

It’s easy to forget that when this documentary came out, Okumura was 69 years old. (I hope I age as gracefully). His approach to parenting is very hands off, allowing his kids to make their own decisions, to the point the son says “I wish he were a little more hard on me.”

The dynamic between everyone in the family is very interesting, and to hear about daily life and the effects of parenting from all sides is thought provoking and wonderful. In the end, it seems, his son chose his own path and things worked out as they should have (and only could have).

Thank you for sharing, I’ll always watch this when it comes up. Sorry for running long.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

It is a lovely and honest film.

We had another little thread about it when it was first released. I made this comment, as a parent myself ...

Sometimes there are bad parents in this world. Terrible parents.

Sometimes there are good parents who make some mistakes.

Sometimes there are good parents, and the kids don't appreciate what they have.

No matter how you cut it, the Okumura's are not the first, and I bet ya that the truth is closer to the last.

I know that I regret some of the things I said and thought about my own parents now that, with my own kids, I find myself doing and saying the same things to them that my parents said to me: ("Do it because I said so! As long as you are under my roof, eating my food ... ") I came to realize that dear old dad was one hell of a great guy through thick and thin though he also never said much in words, and mom was always there and meant well despite the flaws.

I will tell you a Japanese cultural trait that I know first hand from 27 years here: A lot of Japanese are not very verbal, even with folks they love. They show love, they do loving things for the kids, but they don't necessarily say "I love you", or have deep talks with their kids or other family members. As one of my in-laws once told me, "Japanese folks show love by being together, living together, sticking together ... and no need to say much more." A lot of Asian kids, raised in the U.S. (in my wife's family too) frequently complain about such cultural divides with their more traditional parents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sheril...b_3788496.html

Some parents push their kids too hard (a lot of that in Japan, where there is a big push to study to pass entrance exams even to get into a good public high school, and even into a good junior high school!)

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/communit.../#.V8bLVZh96Ul

So, I just wonder what film this young daughter will make about her parents when she, herself, is a parent. Hmmmm.

Gassho, Jundo Dad

SatToday (then told my son to get a haircut cause summer is over, school starts tomorrow! )
    Sorry to run long
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This little movie has kind of made itself into a Treeleaf classic. It shows up every once in a while, for good reason!

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It is a lovely and honest film.
    Having met your kids I have no doubt as to the quality of parenting you and your wife have accomplished.

Thank you for sharing Inshin

Parenting...small fish, big ocean! (or is that small bird, big ocean?)

Off to practice lockdown home schooling

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Having met your kids I have no doubt as to the quality of parenting you and your wife have accomplished.
    If only our 18 year old and 11 year old always thought so!

Sometimes asking them to remember to feed the cat or to pull some weeds makes them call us TYRANTS!

That's when I make the family watch 'Little House on the Prarie' or 'Anne of Green Gables,' and hint that we should buy a cow for them to milk each morning ...

Gassho, J
    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah
    Sending Metta to you and an ocean of patience. Mine nearly dried up when we did home schooling.

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    If only our 18 year old and 11 year old always thought so!

Sometimes asking them to remember to feed the cat or to pull some weeds makes them call us TYRANTS!

That's when I make the family watch 'Little House on the Prarie' or 'Anne of Green Gables,' and hint that we should buy a cow for them to milk each morning ...

Gassho, J
    STLah
    Same here, everyday. And good idea on Little House!
    I can remind ours that their grandma had to slaughter a chicken if they wanted stew and clean out the horse stable daily. At least our boy has to clean up the goat pen at his kindergarten so he knows what that's about.
    Gassho,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah
    All the metta to you Yokai, I feel a bit sick just at the thought of lockdown homeschooling again.

And I agree with Geika, this is a Treeleaf classic for good reason. Thanks for posting.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

There's also a great biographical interview with him on YouTube:

In addition to his history, he talks about many aspects of Soto Zen, practice, and of course Dogen.

-satToday

Thank you so much for sharing. I am new to Zen, and trying to find my way. Having a big family makes it hard to practice, but seeing stories like this make me appreciate that im not alone. Gasshó