Thread: NO MISTAKE POSSIBLE (make no mistake about it)

NO MISTAKE POSSIBLE (make no mistake about it)

There is NO MISTAKE POSSIBLE in the universe, no place to fall, leaping through center vs. outside, no self to do the falling.

AND YET, AND YET, as Dogen said (sometimes misquoted by mistake) "the principle of the way [is that we must] make one mistake after another." He also said (if I am not mistaken), "Stepping forward is a mistake; stepping backward is also a mistake, taking one step is a mistake, taking two steps is also a mistake; therefore one mistake after another mistake."

Mistakes beyond mistakes, falling yet no place to fall, self and no, forward-and-back yet no forward or back. All reality and all sentient beings are ALREADY ENLIGHTENED being, already Buddha with no unenlightened action possible, no place to stumble, no greed or anger or division possible in such whole ...

... AND YET few of us are enlightened to such fact, and often, in our greed, anger and divided thinking, we forget to act in very enlightened ways as a Buddha might act.

Please make no mistake about this TRUTH!

Gassho, J
    STLAH
    Sorry to run long by mistake.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-26-2021 at 03:37 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you!

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SAT/LAH

Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

I forget every day and every day I remember to keep trying!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Hi Jundo,

Is Dogen also trying to say that escaping Dukhha isn't possible? This is why we keep practising. Everytime, I think everything is fine, something just blows in my face. With practice, I think we welcome the hardships with grace more.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Gassho
    Nikolas
    Sat/Lah
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

(and three more..)

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Guish View Post
    Hi Jundo,

Is Dogen also trying to say that escaping Dukhha isn't possible? This is why we keep practising. Everytime, I think everything is fine, something just blows in my face. With practice, I think we welcome the hardships with grace more.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Dogen was not an either/or fellow, so one might say that TOTAL ESCAPE from Suffering is possible right here and now in this life, and yet we never escape the ups and downs of this life. It might be called "escape without escape" ... realizing something beyond ups and downs, sickness and health, birth and death, gain and loss EVEN AS one continues to live in a world of ups and downs, sickness and health, birth and death, gain and loss. For example, there is gain and loss, and we smile and cry in this life AND ALSO know a certain freedom, beauty and balance to the universe that is beyond gain and loss, birth and death etc., yet right at the heart of gain and loss, birth and death. For folks like Dogen, Emptiness pours in and out of all the beauty and ugliness of this world.

I spoke about this a bit in what I wrote last week ...

Hi-shiryo 非思量
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...80%9D%E9%87%8F

Dogen also spoke of manifesting the poise and grace of a Buddha in our acts, words and thoughts ... yet the very next moment during this life, we can foolishly fall again into greed, anger and ignorance in our acts, words and thoughts.

Gassho, J
    StLah
    Sorry to run long

I thought my ducks were in a row lol now my brain and heart are haywire lol Dogen is right. Somehow something always happens
    Gassho
    sat lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Dogen I know where the fish and the birds go. They go to find one another and compassion. They finally finally find compassion and each other.
    sat/ lah

NO MISTAKE POSSIBLE (make no mistake about it)

Gassho gassho gassho

((st))
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I thought my ducks were in a row lol now my brain and heart are haywire lol Dogen is right. Somehow something always happens
    Gassho
    sat lah

You are not alone.

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Risho, my actual friend, we are more alive and alike lol thank goodness Gassho
    sat/ lah

I think we are are. hahaha

Much of what I read in Zen seems focused on addressing our entire experience. Both in a manner of helping us see through our gained beliefs (what is good or bad, what is this or that etc.) and also at the same time helping us live our daily lives as beings surrounded by beings in a way that is conducive to the first way (The precepts, the 8 fold path etc.).

This is very confusing to read as unenlightened beings (maybe it's also confusing for enlightened beings but they're able to see through it?). Do A but also do B! A is A but also it's not really A!.

All we can do is sit, sit and trust.

Gassho
    Mark
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingIntrospection View Post
    Much of what I read in Zen seems focused on addressing our entire experience. Both in a manner of helping us see through our gained beliefs (what is good or bad, what is this or that etc.) and also at the same time helping us live our daily lives as beings surrounded by beings in a way that is conducive to the first way (The precepts, the 8 fold path etc.).

This is very confusing to read as unenlightened beings (maybe it's also confusing for enlightened beings but they're able to see through it?). Do A but also do B! A is A but also it's not really A!.

All we can do is sit, sit and trust.

Gassho
    Mark
    ST
    Just consider the fact that Enlightenment is never not ours. We are mostly blind to our enlightened nature, but that does not change the underlying truth. Beyond added emotional or moral values, every action, every decision and occurrence is completely and perfectly what it is, unchangeable, with nothing lacking and nothing to be added, stemming directly from buddha.

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    There is NO MISTAKE POSSIBLE in the universe, no place to fall, leaping through center vs. outside, no self to do the falling.

AND YET, AND YET, as Dogen said (sometimes misquoted by mistake) "the principle of the way [is that we must] make one mistake after another." He also said (if I am not mistaken), "Stepping forward is a mistake; stepping backward is also a mistake, taking one step is a mistake, taking two steps is also a mistake; therefore one mistake after another mistake."

Mistakes beyond mistakes, falling yet no place to fall, self and no, forward-and-back yet no forward or back. All reality and all sentient beings are ALREADY ENLIGHTENED being, already Buddha with no unenlightened action possible, no place to stumble, no greed or anger or division possible in such whole ...

... AND YET few of us are enlightened to such fact, and often, in our greed, anger and divided thinking, we forget to act in very enlightened ways as a Buddha might act.

Please make no mistake about this TRUTH!

Gassho, J
    STLAH
    Sorry to run long by mistake.
    Hi Jundo,

This morning in the car I was thinking about a question my brother asked me a number of years ago. Do you want to be the sugar or taste the sugar? I think Dogen would say it's both. We are the sugar, enlightened beings, but with right effort we can taste the sugar as well.

Does get at the idea?

Gassho,

Hoseki

my apologies for the length.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi Jundo,

This morning in the car I was thinking about a question my brother asked me a number of years ago. Do you want to be the sugar or taste the sugar? I think Dogen would say it's both. We are the sugar, enlightened beings, but with right effort we can taste the sugar as well.

Does get at the idea?

Gassho,

Hoseki

my apologies for the length.
    While thinking about that, just don't crash into the car in front of you by mistake!

Yes, there is a certain Sweetness to the universe, even as the human tongue knows its very human sweet and oh so bitter!

Gassho, J

STLah

Gassho

Hoseki
    sattoday