Thread: Burning-Sattva

Burning-Sattva

Hi All,

Buddhism has many countless local traditions and customs in Asia, and I just saw this today. It is just a little local tradition that happens to be from this area of Japan, here in Ibaraki not very far from Tsukuba. It is one of the myriad ways that people have turned to Buddhism and our Bodhisattvas to deal with illness and the other happenings of life.

However, my advice is not to try this indoors at home :

~~~~~~

Ibaraki News: Health Wishes, Converge with Covid - "Candle Jizo" in Ibaraki

The "Takano Candle Jizo-son Festival," known as a rather exotic festival, was held on the 23rd at Koya Jizo-son Shrine in Koga, Koga City, Ibaraki Prefecture. The worshipers joined hands in hopes of the extinction of the new coronavirus and the health of their families. It will be held on the 24th as well.

It is traditional local event that has continued since 1719, held August 23rd and 24th every year. It is said that if you put a candle on the same part as the bad part of your body and pray with fire, it will be cured. When the wax melted with heat and the fire spread, the whole body of Jizo is wrapped in flames.

On this day, in order to prevent infection of the new corona, the holding time until 9:30 pm was shortened to 6 pm, same as last year. The local residents who visited were enthusiastically worshiping Jizo. Miku Okubo (17), in the second year of Koga Daiichi High School, who visited with three family members, said, "I wanted my family to be healthy so that I can do my studies. I want the new corona to be under control quickly."

A short video of the ritual here:

Gassho, J

STLah
    Sorry to run long
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-24-2021 at 05:18 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am reminded of a little temple in our Tsukuba neighborhood, about 100 meters from our Zendo, dedicated to Yakushi Nyorai, the medicine Buddha. In past centuries, the people living in our little village did not have access to modern doctors and hospitals. Sometimes praying to this Buddha was all they had.

Here is a little more about the Medicine Buddha ...

https://traditionalkyoto.com/culture...ealing-buddha/

Gassho, J

STLah

Wow! Very interesting tradition. Thank you for sharing!

This makes my incense sticks look like small potatoes.

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Interesting, thank you!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

This is fascinating. I am unable to make this tower of fire, but I love the idea of it.

Somewhere, I have a large Medicine Buddha pendant (about 1.5"-sq).

I've had a fondness for Medicine Buddha, maybe I'll use that instead of a bonfire.

gassho, meian st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    This is fascinating. I am unable to make this tower of fire, but I love the idea of it.

Somewhere, I have a large Medicine Buddha pendant (about 1.5"-sq).

I've had a fondness for Medicine Buddha, maybe I'll use that instead of a bonfire.

gassho, meian st lh
    Yes, please, no fires!

Gassho, J

STLah