Thread: Grass Roof Tea House

Grass Roof Tea House

Hi all

The Grass Roof Tea House will open its doors on the second and fourth Sunday of each month. Although it is aimed at European, Asian and Oceanic time zones, everyone is welcome to attend.

It will take place in the Meeting Room (Zoom ID 483 483 1200) and last for one hour.

The tea houses provide a place where Treeleaf members can be social and talk about things other than Zen, although that is not off topic. We basically aim to create the same kind of environment that might occur after a Zazenkai at a regular bricks and mortar Zendo in which people wind down and just chat about their lives and get to know each other.

Feel free to bring a hot or cold beverage and we look forward to seeing you!

Gassho
    Kokuu and Kotei
    ------------------------------------
    Feel free to message me if you wish to talk about issues around practicing with physical limitations. This is something I have been sitting with for a fair while and am happy to help with suggestions or just offer a listening ear.

Hello everyone!

The gateless gate of the Grass Roof Tea House will open again on the coming Sunday, May 8th at 10am UK time (11am Central Europe, 12pm in Ukraine and 1pm in Turkey). For other timezones, the calendar (link) will do the conversion magic for you.

It will take place in the Zoom Meeting Room (link) (Zoom ID 483 483 1200) and last for one hour.

Feel free to bring a hot or cold (non alcoholic) beverage.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Grass Roof Tea House - apologies and thank yous

Apologies to the May 7/8 2022 Grass Roof Teahouse - I am not very bright (putting it mildly) and usually I don't realize what I don't know until I talk.

st if not lah

I just found old posts from 2010(?) and that my jukai name was Jinho (posts about sewing and other things signed Rowan / Jinho).
    Last edited by Rowan; 05-08-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Hey Rowan/Jinho,
    I enjoyed getting to know you a bit. Thank you for joining and sharing!

Who knows, maybe we'll be sewing another rakusu together later this year, renewing the vows.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I think your lah today is your lovely reply to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Apologies to the May 7/8 2022 Grass Roof Teahouse - I am not very bright (putting it mildly) and usually I don't realize what I don't know until I talk.

st if not lah

I just found old posts from 2010(?) and that my jukai name was Jinho (posts about sewing and other things signed Rowan / Jinho).
    Oh no, please donít say that about yourself! I enjoyed talking to you and finding out about your particular buddhist journey and your fantastic theatre filled life
    A pleasure spending time together!

Sat Today
    Bion
    美音

-------------------------
    Please consider whatever I might say as my own ideas, experiences and understanding, and not zen doctrine.
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

It was great to see you at the Tea House and hopefully I'll see you at the next one

Gassho
    Ross
    stlah
    至 道 無 難 , 唯 嫌 揀 擇 。

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Oh no, please don’t say that about yourself! I enjoyed talking to you and finding out about your particular buddhist journey and your fantastic theatre filled life
    A pleasure spending time together!

Sat Today
    Bion you are very kind.

Since last September. when Kyousui urged me to go to ER, I have been waging peaceful war against an AVM. Treeleaf, Two Churches, and many friends have been there for me and 1000s of hours sitting zazen from many places. I have sat hundreds of hours, alone and with others. Tomorrow, I find out, or the last, or many more CTs will begin or end. At the hospital where I volunteered when I found Treeleaf, I will get a CT with contrast, and the report will go to my neurosurgeon to see if the tumor is gone or if I need another operation. Tomorrow I am to be alone because my wife has lunch with friends. Then she will pick me up to go home. In a few days or weeks I will know if the AVM Right Temporal Craniotomy is 100% successful. I am afraid, I am afraid to be seperated from friends and family. Now in writing here on Treeleaf Zendo where so many have been friends, and where I am Ubasoku. I Teach my sister and brother Buddhists. May I help you. Know that death isn't as bad as we think. I have chronic pain and sometimes I wonder why this is happening. I know the answer the Buddha taught. It's loving kindness, or metta, I once asked an impossible question, does the metta help you or the other? Questions such as these are like Medieval scholastics discussing how many angles can dance on the head of a pin. Such questions are absurd. We still ask them, we sit metta for friends and relatives and others. We all know what suffering is, but how many know what suffering is not? When do I know, how can I know all this is over? Maybe this is never over. My whole being wrapped up in one answer. Maybe there will never be another answer until I'm scattered to Buddhist heaven, or Christian heaven or both. I will be connected with Tapatalk with Treeleaf Zendo with my phone and I am grateful and happy for this connection. Thank you Jundo for this rambling speech, and I am smiling this morning. I wasn't smiling las night when I wrote this missive. Thank you Treeleaf for always being there for all of us! Thank you Treeleaf for being there for Ukraine. I sat Zazen and Shikantaza with Washin last night. Today is 5/12/2022
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 05-12-2022 at 02:11 PM. Reason: addition
    Lay member, being loving kindness; just a guy who cares, sometimes Calm and perplexed, sometimes Ubasoku.

Without exception our Zendo is there for our members and people around our fragile planet, and we have sat metta and Zazen, Shikantaza for people in so many situations. Let me express my own concern for all in Ukraine and people displaced, hungry, and tired without resources to be happy. I am thankful for Buddhists, and others who help.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Lay member, being loving kindness; just a guy who cares, sometimes Calm and perplexed, sometimes Ubasoku.