Thread: Tonglen and global events

Tonglen and global events

Dear all

As I read and watch the events which are unfolding in Afghanistan, I am fearful for many remaining in the country, especially women and girls whose lives will almost certainly be hugely restricted under an Islamic emirate. I am also fearful for reprisals against anyone who has assisted western forces in any way or been engaged in progressive activities such as human rights' activists and campaigners.

At this time, I breathe in their suffering and breathe out metta and light to all of them, and also to the Taliban who are also caught up in samsara, believing they are carrying out divine will.

Does this make a difference to the people there? I don't know but doubt it very much and tonglen is not an alternative to donating to international aid and refugee organisations and urging governments to take whatever they can to protect people. However, tonglen serves to give us a structure to engage with the suffering of others through our shared humanity, and a way of keeping our heart open while taking in this kind of political upheaval which is already affecting the lives of many sentient beings.

If it is of use to you, please practice tonglen in this way during daily life as well as joining in our weekly formal practice sessions. This does not just apply to the current and unfolding situation in Afghanistan but any and all such events, whether caused by war, politics, natural events, famine and disease. As love meets suffering, the only possible response is compassion and metta.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Kokuu.

Gassho
    Sat, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Tony,
    Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

_()_

gassho
    ds sat lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

_()_

gassho
    ds sat lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt