Thread: Hi-shiryo 非思量

Hi-shiryo 非思量

"Hi-shiryo," or "non-thinking," derives from the famous teaching of Master Dogen, found in Fukanzazengi and elsewhere:

"Think (shiryo) of not-thinking (fu-shiryo). How do you think of not-thinking? Non-thinking (hi-shiryo)."

The Kanji FU 不 ... no ... is not the same as HI 非 ... non. Thus, this "hi-shiryo" is sometimes translated as different from "not thinking," but rather is "beyond thinking" or (as some like me say) "thinking-not-thinking." "Thinking" is what we do ordinarily, with the mental wheels turning, dividing and categorizing, judging, thoughts of "right or wrong ... the revolutions of mind" as Master Dogen described. "Not thinking" is the opposite, the dropping away of all that dividing (including the self/other divide), categorizing and judging for wholeness and flowing unity in radical equanimity. When we put both together (like encountering the world both ways at once, not two) we get "thinking not thinking," this "non-thinking." Such is a world encountered as if one way from one eye in ordinary thinking, as free of thinking with a boundless eye, with both eyes open together the Clarity of a Buddha's Eye.

That leads to a question:

When one realizes "Hi-shiryo" in Zazen, "thinking not thinking," does such remain with one all the time?

No, I don't think so. Or, better said, it depends on the moment, and comes in degrees. Sometimes (most times) we human beings can just function normally in ordinary human life with ordinary human thoughts (hopefully, however, not too greedy, angry, jealous or otherwise divided etc.). At other times, bodymind profoundly drops away in the wholeness and pervasiveness of "not thinking." And countless times, in my experience, there is/are both at once (thinking not thinking) although one pole may be more dominant than the other in the moment. We might say that one eye is sometimes more useful than the other, sometimes both at once, not two (much like the various degrees of "relative and absolute" mixing and blending depicted in 'Tozan's 5 Ranks' in fact).

On the other hand, once found and embodied in Zazen, Hi-shiryo -is- always with one all the time, a realization that cannot be unrealized, even if temporarily the moon is hidden by the clouds sometimes. I feel that, in my life, even during those ordinary, day to day times of "ordinary thinking," the "not thinking" is still subtly present in my heart and eyes. This is like a single grounding hum always present in life's music and noise, even subtly. We may not always notice, but it spices everything, much like the air we breathe always has a subtle taste, its richness always supporting us, although often not noticed.

In fact, "not thinking" is always present and need not be "realized," for it is precisely "thinking," as "form is precisely emptiness," although most sentient beings fail to realize this fact when so trapped in our "thinking" in greed, anger and ignorance. Thus, realizing what is always present beyond need for realization and attainment is a glorious realization attained! There are no "degrees" or "moments" in time to realize or not realize so, which is what we can realize any moment at any time. The clear air is always present in the wind, even in life's storming hurricanes! The moon shining in the boundless, cloudless sky is always present even when hidden by the clouds. Our practice is to realize that moon in boundless sky, and clouds of thought, were never two and apart.

Thus, sitting in Shikantaza, dropping "right or wrong ... the revolutions of mind," dropping away all that dividing (including the self/other divide), categorizing and judging ... thus finding wholeness and flowing unity in radical equanimity ... nothing to attain but sitting itself ... thoughts drifting by, yet the clear blue sky and light shining through the thoughts, not one not two ...

... such is Hi-shiryo, "thinking not thinking."

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Sorry to run long.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-16-2021 at 04:12 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you Jundo

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Thank you, Jundo

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Last edited by Anchi; 08-17-2021 at 05:13 AM.
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

"thoughts drifting by, yet the clear blue sky shining through the thoughts, not one not two..."

no witnesses no sky as a background...

Gassho
    Sat

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

thank you

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Wonderful. Thank you Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you,

Tony

LAH
    Dharma name= 浄史

Received Jukai in January 2022

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thích Nhất Hạnh

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Beautiful!

Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Thank you

ST

If I may be permitted to include a bad joke:

Philosopher Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The Bartender says, "Will you be having a beer?"
    Descartes replies, "I think not." and disappears!

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post

If I may be permitted to include a bad joke:

Philosopher Rene Descartes walks into a bar. The Bartender says, "Will you be having a beer?"
    Descartes replies, "I think not." and disappears!

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you!

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SAT

I am beyond limits of non-thinking. Bare with me Jundo as I explain late for 8:30 a.m. sitting with Onkai, commitment made in writing in Zendo. I write two men in Prison through my church, found a way justifying late writing and late for morning sit with health problems, missed sending letter last week. Problem: I put off writing one more week, say less of justification which took me away from commitments. Sometimes I'm filled with worry. I would benefit with writing as I promised to fulfill without justification by September 21, before meeting with Dr. 29th, maintaining commitment of morning group sit at 8:30. which makes me feel better. Entered Free sitting room saying Robe Verse, Verse of Attolent. Four Vows, all from memory, sitting another 15 min; is this justification? How shall I proceeded, Jundo?
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-06-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: complete ideas, concision
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I am beyond limits of non-thinking. Bare with me Jundo as I explain late for 8:30 a.m. sitting with Onkai, commitment made in writing in Zendo. I write two men in Prison through my church, found a way justifying late writing and late for morning sit with health problems, missed sending letter last week. Problem: I put off writing one more week, say less of justification which took me away from commitments. Sometimes I'm filled with worry. I would benefit with writing as I promised to fulfill without justification by September 21, before meeting with Dr. 29th, maintaining commitment of morning group sit at 8:30. which makes me feel better. Entered Free sitting room saying Robe Verse, Verse of Attolent. Four Vows, all from memory, sitting another 15 min; is this justification? How shall I proceeded, Jundo?
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Just keep going, just now and just now and just now ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi-shiryo 非思量

I wrote the letters, and changed my mentioning my help. Easy I had letters saved on my computer! Then spent afternoon with Zazenkai for Seniors. Missed my non narcotics for pain because of an important Dharma talk.took my medication and ate my entire pizza with in 10 minutes. I had second medication so now I’m under iced packs for my pain. Finally relax finally. Moral: Thank you Jundo.
    Moral. Don’t miss time for medication Plan ahead!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-07-2021 at 01:42 AM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆