Thread: August 13-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - "FRIDAY the 13TH" Zazenkai

August 13-14th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - "FRIDAY the 13TH" Zazenkai

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-13-2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added one-way YouTube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Will be there with bells and a couple of black cats.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m ready to go

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Zoom and YouTube have waved at each other so I think we are ready to go.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you everyone, wonderful sit! Have a lucky weekend

Gassho
    Jakuden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you everyone, The zazenkai and tea time were super. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thanks Jundo, Jakuden, Sekishi and everyone.

I feel lucky to be with you

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all. We must be all avoiding ladders, tossing salt, and wearing the right amulets to be able to come together like this. How auspicious!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Lovely!

Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

I once posted this about when we moved into the house in Tsukuba ... and we also have a little shrine outside the house, traditional in this part of Japan, to appease the earth spirits (and most Zen and other Buddhist temples actually do ceremonies for the "earth spirits" ... kinda smart in a land of earthquakes I guess ...

It's traditional in Japan to have a Shinto Priest come out and 'appease the spirits (Kami)' when starting big construction or house repairs like we are at Treeleaf. My wife and mother-in-law insisted.

I don't know so much about appeasing the spirits, but I do know about appeasing my wife and mother-in-law. So, we had it done. You can see a few minutes of the ceremony here (those Shinto priests sure have cool Heian Age clothes, and, like Japanese Buddhist priests, some smooth dance moves). Unfortunately, it all made Leon start crying (especially when the Kami-nushi, or 'Spirit Master', let out a couple of cries to wake the dead ... listen in the middle for that. Hope it made the spirits smile).
    My attitude toward such things is, well, 'Don't know if it will help, but it sure can't hurt'. Some of the rocks, trees, grounds and such around the building ... even the building itself ... sure feel sometimes that they might have a little spirit to them. Who knows? 
    I don't think I believe in such spirits quite literally beyond the human mind, but I could be wrong. So, I call it "winking at the gods ... giving them the benefit of the doubt, and asking for the benefit of the doubt from them too" ...

I left out of the story the fact that the Shinto priest drove up to our house in a nice BMW in an Italian suit, changed into his Heian Age clothes, then back into the sharp Italian suit to leave. I guess that these ceremonies pay pretty good. My wife recalls that we donated about $300 in yen for the ceremony, which probably helps explain the BMW.

Anyway, the house has survived many earthquakes now, so it was money well spent.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you everyone! And thanks for the good luck Jundo!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I once posted this about when we moved into the house in Tsukuba ... and we also have a little shrine outside the house, traditional in this part of Japan, to appease the earth spirits (and most Zen and other Buddhist temples actually do ceremonies for the "earth spirits" ... kinda smart in a land of earthquakes I guess ...

I left out of the story the fact that the Shinto priest drove up to our house in a nice BMW in an Italian suit, changed into his Heian Age clothes, then back into the sharp Italian suit to leave. I guess that these ceremonies pay pretty good. My wife recalls that we donated about $300 in yen for the ceremony, which probably helps explain the BMW.

Anyway, the house has survived many earthquakes now, so it was money well spent.

Sorry to run long.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Ahhhh that was awesome to watch!!! Fascinating! and just for safety!

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Looking forward to a solid week of good luck. Thank you Jundo

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Lovely to join you all last night. Thank you Jakuden, Jundo, and all who sat and will sit

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

How lucky I am to sit with you all each week.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Sitting this one now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I once posted this about when we moved into the house in Tsukuba ...
    That was an interesting ceremony, and thank you for the comforting talk and zazen.
    I think we made it through Friday the 13th again

Here's some music if some of the effects of the unlucky number still persists:

Gassho
    Kantai

Satlah

Just sat with this as my first zazenkai since joining, thank you all.
    Gassho,
    Dan
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Gassho,
    Dan
    Sat
    Lovely!

SatToday
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Gassho,
    Dan
    Sat
    Welcome, Dan! Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Bion and Onkai
    Gassho,
    Dan
    Sat today

Thanks, everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

It took me a while but I finally finished off the zazenkai, thank you all.

Gassho

Heiso

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk