Thread: August 6-7 OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - The Magic Power of the Heart Sutra!

August 6-7 OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - The Magic Power of the Heart Sutra!

We will close our series on the Heart Sutra,
    reflecting on its very real and powerful MAGIC!

(text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London Midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-06-2021 at 07:43 PM. Reason: One-way youtube video added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We turn to the Hannya Shingyo (Heart Sutra)'s magical incantations ...

All/ past/, pre/sent/ and/ fu/ture/ Budd/has/

Live/ this/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/*

And/ re/al/ize/ su/preme/ and/ com/plete/ en/light/en/ment/.

There/fore/ know/ that/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/

Is/ the/ sac/red/ man/tra/, the/ lu/min/ous/ man/tra/,

the/ sup/reme/ man/tra/, the/ in/com/pa/ra/ble/ man/tra/

by/ which/ all/ suf/fe/ring/ is/ clear/.

This/ is/ no/ o/ther/ than/ Truth/.

There/fore/ set/ forth/ the/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/ man/tra/.

Set/ forth/ this/ man/tra/ and/ pro/claim/:*

Gate! Gate! (Already Gone, Gone)
    Paragate! (Already Gone Beyond)
    Parasamgate! (Already Fully Beyond)
    Bodhi! Svaha! * (Awakening, Rejoice)

In several of his writings, Dogen spoke of the true mystical powers of a Zen Master. The following is from my book manuscript ("The Zen Master Dances On" ... ), quoting a Dharma Hall Discourse in the Eihei Koroku:

A capable master must be endowed with the six spiritual powers. The first is the power to go anywhere; second is the power to hear everywhere; third is the power to know others’ minds; fourth is the power to know previous lives; fifth is the power to see everywhere; sixth is the power to extinguish outflows [attachments].

Everyone, do you want to see the power to go anywhere? The teacher Dogen raised his fist. Do you want to see the power to know others’ minds? Dogen let one of his legs hang down from his seat. Do you want to see the power of hearing everywhere? Dogen snapped his fingers once. Do you want to see the power of knowing previous lives? Dogen raised his whisk. Do you want to see the power of seeing everywhere? Dogen drew a circle in the air with his whisk. Do you want to see the power of extinguishing outflows? Dogen drew a single horizontal line [the character for “one”] with his whisk and said: Although this is so, ultimately, six times six is thirty-six. (EK 3-195)

Personally, I am always very skeptical of claims that holy men can actually read minds or see everywhere. And yet, based on the viewpoint that everything is everything, I do believe in such powers as Dogen describes them. How? Well, if everywhere is everywhere, and everything pours into everything, than moving a fist as he does, even an inch, travels everywhere and fills all space, and all space is held within his fist. Hearing one sound, even a single snap of the fingers, is all sounds and all silence too. All previous lives, both our life and all others’ lives, are known right now in this present instant of life when he raises a whisk, and are fully present in each hair of the whisk too. Seeing everywhere is seeing the emptiness flowing in and out of everywhere, marked by a whirling circle drawn in the air. Being free of attachments and all suffering is possible when we realize the “one” and wholeness which sweeps in all the ever multiplying things of this complicated world. You need not be a wizard or soothsayer to know such powers for yourself.
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-06-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Speaking of magic, our Hokie Pokie today is from something called "Grandpa's Magical Toys - Wee Sing," which I confess I never heard of (despite my power to hear everything ). Apparently, it is from the USA. Apparently I somehow missed it. It is described this way:

Join Peter, Sara, and David on their visit to Grandpa's house. When Grandpa leaves the room, the magic begins. The children shrink to toy-size, then meet Grandpa's Toys. Meet Punchinello the clown, a muffin man, a farmer, some Scottish dancers, and more as they serve up plenty of laughs

I read that the show was pretty popular with many folks but, frankly, it scares me! Is this how we traumatize our children? Is it just me? I saw the dancing crayon and the monkey chasing me in my dreams last night!

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-06-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Speaking of magic, our Hokie Pokie today is from something called "Grandpa's Magical Toys - Wee Sing," which I confess I never heard of (despite my power to hear everything ). Apparently, it is from the USA. Apparently I somehow missed it. It is described this way:

Join Peter, Sara, and David on their visit to Grandpa's house. When Grandpa leaves the room, the magic begins. The children shrink to toy-size, then meet Grandpa's Toys. Meet Punchinello the clown, a muffin man, a farmer, some Scottish dancers, and more as they serve up plenty of laughs

I read that the show was pretty popular with many folks but, frankly, it scares me! Is this how we traumatize our children? Is it just me? I saw the dancing crayon and the monkey chasing me in my dreams last night!

Gassho, J

STLah
    And a clown?!? That’s the stuff of nightmares!
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

See you all later!!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    All systems go! See you all soon with bells and drums.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Wish I could join you all live! It has been a while. Hope to be there "in-person" next week. Will try to join you all on demand for this one.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday + LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Naiko View Post
    And a clown?!? That’s the stuff of nightmares!
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st
    I know where I saw that monkey before ...

Apologies; I had to leave early. Will sit with you all this weekend.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Wonderful to see you all. Have a great weekend and enjoy the miracles!

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and those who helped that I cannot see.

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. I loved the taste of the sequel to The Zen Master's Dance, and look forward to reading it. These zazenkais are magical.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 08-07-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    These zazenkai's are magical.
    I see what you did there.

And I agree!

Thank you all.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

The Buddha's Fire and Water Miracle ...

The 70s country tune, for those who don't know ...

And PROOF that the LA Dodgers did, in fact, win the 1965 World Series ... just as I (reverse) predicted! ....

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-07-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Thanks for the magic Jundo The White and everyone in the sangha!

Sat a looot today
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Lovely Zazenkai

Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

I have really enjoyed this series on the Heart Sutra and this was a perfect outro. Thank you, Jundo.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st lah

Thank you Jundo and all

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Going to sit this one now.
    Gassho
    Matt

Thank you everyone!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone. I sat with you over the course of the past few days.

Thank you for your practice.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Lovely! Thank you all!

Kokuu

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Magical, thank you everyone.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart