Thread: Jumping in Zazen.

Jumping in Zazen.

Sometimes when I sit before I go to bed and I知 tired, I have the experience that my body suddenly jumps or convulses. It is when my mind begins to wander off into thought fantasy narrative mode and I know that means I知 falling asleep but it isn稚 the jerk upright that happens if I知 falling over. It happens when I知 still sitting upright and it is quite an unnecessarily big thing. Also, isn稚 it a paradox that when my mind is clear, open, aware I can sit for a long time even if I知 tired but as soon as thought narrative creeps in, I fall asleep?

Gassho,

Kenkū

sat & lah

I had a similar experience while sitting at SFZC. I was pretty sleep deprived and it was a long sit time. I remember staring at the window pane, knowing that I was awake, but like you mentioned every time my mind wandered I would jerk awake. I think this is simply the brain doing what it naturally does to recharge, it wants to go into rambling imagery mode, it wants to sleep, it does not want to be awake and aware. Nothing to worry about, and if it is bothersome, I will blink my eyes quickly, which I remember reading in a magazine article about falling asleep while sitting. If that doesn't help, I will stand up and kinhin. If not that, it may simply be time to stop and sleep.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

These are called hypnagogic jerks, or hypnic jerks, a form of myoclonus, which is a type of muscle spasms. They are quite common when falling asleep, and if you're sitting zazen and falling asleep, they're probably not uncommon. I have these occasionally when I take naps, though less often when I go to sleep at night.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    These are called hypnagogic jerks, or hypnic jerks, a form of myoclonus, which is a type of muscle spasms. They are quite common when falling asleep, and if you're sitting zazen and falling asleep, they're probably not uncommon. I have these occasionally when I take naps, though less often when I go to sleep at night.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    Alas, my wife says that I have kicked her more than once in bed, and once side-slapped the guy next to me on an airplane ...

The settling of Zazen can place us easily into that relaxed state we encounter in the twilight state on the border between waking and falling asleep, with like brainwave patterns and like physical phenomena such as this. I would not be overly concerned unless it is such a frequent event that it becomes a real issue.

Gassho, Jundo
    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-16-2021 at 11:44 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenku View Post
    Sometimes when I sit before I go to bed and I’m tired, I have the experience that my body suddenly jumps or convulses. It is when my mind begins to wander off into thought fantasy narrative mode and I know that means I’m falling asleep but it isn’t the jerk upright that happens if I’m falling over. It happens when I’m still sitting upright and it is quite an unnecessarily big thing.
    I definitely experience this on the cushion when the mind is dull or sleepy. This is OK, the body-mind doing as it does. A kinhin later (or not), conditions change and it dissipates like the morning mist (or not!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    These are called hypnagogic jerks, or hypnic jerks
    Coincidentally, The Hypnagogic Jerks is the name of my all merengue-synthwave Dead Kennedys cover band! (kidding)

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Coincidentally, The Hypnagogic Jerks is the name of my all merengue-synthwave Dead Kennedys cover band! (kidding)
    My thought is that would be a better name for a Devo cover band.

:-)

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.