Thread: ART: Zen Songwriting

ART: Zen Songwriting

Jeff Tweedy, the main songwriter of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, recently wrote an insightful little book called How To Write One Song. And though he hasn't mentioned Zen once, his thought process strikes me as that which I think some in Treeleaf may appreciate.

From the intro: "No one writes songs - plural. They write one song, and then another. And is also a reminder of what you really want. Or what I think you should REALLY want, which is to disappear -to watch your concept of time evaporate, to live at least once inside a moment when you aren't "trying" to do anything or be anything anymore. To spend time in a place where you just are."

The book is about the practice of songwriting, rather than writing a "great" song. And how he creates the conditions, puts the elements in place that allow for quality of time spent, more focused on the process than the result.

Sat today,
    Chris
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-20-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Have you tried sitting?
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

There's a podcast about Jeff and that book - https://brokenrecordpodcast.com/all#...masterclass-2/

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Jeff Tweedy, the main songwriter of Wilco and Uncle Tupelo, recently wrote an insightful little book called How To Write One Song. And though he hasn't mentioned Zen once, his thought process strikes me as that which I think some in Treeleaf may appreciate.

From the intro: "No one writes songs - plural. They write one song, and then another. And is also a reminder of what you really want. Or what I think you should REALLY want, which is to disappear -to watch your concept of time evaporate, to live at least once inside a moment when you aren't "trying" to do anything or be anything anymore. To spend time in a place where you just are."

The book is about the practice of songwriting, rather than writing a "great" song. And how he creates the conditions, puts the elements in place that allow for quality of time spent, more focused on the process than the result.

Sat today,
    Chris
    Thank you for posting; this sounds like an interesting book. I enjoy a glimpse into an artist’s creative process.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

I have read Opening the Hand of Thousands and no what does Uchiyama discount sitting and I can say the same of Dogan in Gengokoan at least lol ch 7.

Uchiyama does not discourage sitting nor does Dogen.

Quote Originally Posted by Heiso View Post
    There's a podcast about Jeff and that book - https://brokenrecordpodcast.com/all#...masterclass-2/

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah
    Thank you Heiso, I will check that out.

If I may, I am going to move this thread into our Music and Arts section in a couple of days, so that we can keep it around.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Isn't it amazing that one person can play a three-part piano piece by Bach and never have more than two hands.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Isn't it amazing that one person can play a three-part piano piece by Bach and never have more than two hands.
    There are even four voice fugues in Bach’s Art of Fugue.

Gassho,
    Ryūmon (Kirk)
    Sat
    流文

I know nothing.