Thread: July 9th-10th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - "Free to Roam Again!" Zazenkai

July 9th-10th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - "Free to Roam Again!" Zazenkai

Please celebrate with me my RELEASE FROM QUARANTINE!
    There is no place to go ... but I can finally get out of the house after 2 weeks!

Let's party by dancing Gary Dyson's club version Heart Sutra today (details below)

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

We start a few minutes in today, so just sit quietly at the start for a bit ...

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2021 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Added one-way youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We will be dancing the Heart Sutra by Gary Dyson, a Tibetan Practitioner who is a student of Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, the movie director. When I wrote him to ask, Gary said it was okay to "use the recording in any way that is beneficial. Share, play, give away, what ever. It is for the benefit of all."

So, we will be playing the recording during our Zazenkai, as our Heart Sutra Recitation. Everyone, please come dance! Dance of Emptiness!

It happens to have all those extra passages at the start and end that we discussed during the first installment of our "Heart Sutra" series of talks a few months ago ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ng-Heart-Sutra

Tibetan Practitioners and some others tend to use this somewhat longer version of the Heart Sutra, with a little more at the startless start and endless end. I highlight that. I also include link to Mr. Dyson's page below for those interested. .

The Sutra of the Heart of Transcendent Knowledge

Thus have I heard. Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha at Vulture Peak mountain, together with a great gathering of the sangha of monks and a great gathering of the sangha of bodhisattvas. At that time the Blessed One entered the samadhi that expresses the dharma called "profound illumination," and at the same time noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, while practicing the profound prajnaparamita, saw in this way: he saw the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Then, through the power of the Buddha, venerable Shariputra said to noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, "How should a son or daughter of noble family train, who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita?" Addressed in this way, noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, said to venerable Shariputra, "O Shariputra, a son or daughter of noble family who wishes to practice the profound prajnaparamita should see in this way: seeing the five skandhas to be empty of nature. Form is emptiness; emptiness also is form. Emptiness is no other than form; form is no other than emptiness. In the same way, feeling, perception, formation, and consciousness are emptiness. Thus, Shariputra, all dharmas are emptiness. There are no characteristics. There is no birth and no cessation. There is no impurity and no purity. There is no decrease and no increase. Therefore, Shariputra, in emptiness,
    there is no form, no feeling, no perception, no formation, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no appearance, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch, no dharmas, no eye dhatu up to no mind dhatu, no dhatu of dharmas, no mind consciousness dhatu; no ignorance, no end of ignorance up to no old age and death, no end of old age and death; no suffering, no origin of suffering, no cessation of suffering, no path, no wisdom, no attainment, and no non-attainment. Therefore, Shariputra, since the bodhisattvas have no attainment, they abide by means of prajnaparamita. Since there is no obscuration of mind, there is no fear. They transcend falsity and attain complete nirvana. All the buddhas of the three times, by means of prajnaparamita, fully awaken to unsurpassable, true, complete enlightenment. Therefore, the great mantra of prajnaparamita, the mantra of great insight, the unsurpassed mantra, the unequalled mantra, the mantra that calms all suffering, should be known as truth, since there no deception. The prajnaparamita mantra is said in this way:
    TADYATHA OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
    Thus, Shariputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva should train in the profound prajnaparamita. Then the Blessed One arose from that samadhi and praised noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, saying, "Good, good, O son of noble family; thus it is, O son of noble family, thus it is. One should practice the profound prajnaparamita just as you have taught and all the tathagatas will rejoice." When the Blessed One had said this, venerable Shariputra and noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, that whole assembly and the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Blessed One.

Thus concludes the Sutra of the Heart of Transcendent Knowledge
    https://garyazukx.bandcamp.com/track/heart-sutra

Gassho, J

STLah

Polishing my dancing getas See you all for a quick dance later!

SatToday lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-09-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I will be sitting on demand this time around, looking forward to joining you all later on

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday + LAH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Youtube and Zoom duct tape is go!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and all. Great share with our wonderful global family.

Happy Birthday Alberto!

Gassho, Yokai sta/lah

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. The zazenkai was enjoyable from dancing the Heart Sutra to reclining zazen, to a lovely talk, to tea house chat. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Great Zazenkai and lovely talk.
    Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you everyone. I sat and danced with you this morning.

Jundo, have we played Gary Dyson’s Heart Sutra before? It sounded familiar.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Jundo, have we played Gary Dyson’s Heart Sutra before? It sounded familiar.
    We've done this one a few times over years.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    That explains why it felt familiar.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I have discovered a couple of new danceable "Heart Sutra" covers recently, and we will give them a try too ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Here is one of my favorites, just for how heartfelt it is by this fellow ... ("Hotoke" is one way to say "Buddha" in Japanese. His shirt says "Love" in Japanese and English, and "Tohoku" which is the northern part of the Japanese mainland.) ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Here is another rap version that has some energy ... He does a modern language translation that is very funny and interesting, and really barely has anything to do with the Heart Sutra, I wish I could translate it all ... but it's like "Just live, it's okay, don't look back. Money going up or down ain't important, how something tastes or looks or sounds ain't real ... living dying, getting old or sick, it's ok don't get in the way ... "

Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Then there is this version of the Miku Hatsune (artificial vocaloid) Hannya Shingyo ... with Ghanian pallbearers ... in a mashup with Astronomia 2K19 by Stephan F ... that, well, is great ...

I want these guys for my funeral!
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Then there is the "Extreme Slap Bass Japanese Heart Sutra" ... which is just what is says ...

A more mellow guitar version ... with some Beethoven's 9th in there ...

Kinda Key West-Hawaiian Uke ... Heart Sutra Hula x Jimmy Buffet? ...

Last edited by Jundo; 07-10-2021 at 11:05 PM.

A Shingon version with great drumming ...

And a couple I have featured before at Treeleaf ... Heart Sutra Imagine ...

Gospel ... yes, again Beethoven's 9th ...

Last edited by Jundo; 07-11-2021 at 04:25 AM.

Last but not least ... a Japanese Boy Band version ...

The group, by the way, is the Terrace Panpans ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...6UfKZ4-eZolNjg

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Ps - In all fairness to the Ghanian Pallbearers, and out of respect for their own culture, here they are with the local music ...

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Hi Jundo glad to see you've been set free. My wife has just been signed off to venture into the free world, after 18 months confinement after last years MIs. She was only allowed out for her 28 day cardiac check up which lasted less than an hour with travel to and from the medical centre. Now with 2 jabs she is allowed to roam but still advised to be ultra cautious because of all the new variants circulating Europe and France where Delta is becoming a big problem.

Hope you have had plenty of time to practice and making progress.................time for a Jundo playalong/singalong Heart Sutra yet ?? Looking forward to going through the above clips!

Sorry for the verbal overrun but be well and stay safe Treeleafers.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Sitting this one now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

I am so glad I didn't read any of these messages (including the first post) before clicking the Youtube video and sitting with this one. The dance beat took me by surprise in a very good way

Gassho,
    Charity
    sat/lah

Thank you, all

-satToday

Lovely! Thank you all!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Finished sitting with you all this morning. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone! Wonderful talk and Zazenkai.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com