Thread: Free Sitting Room - Zoom Quits

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA

Free Sitting Room - Zoom Quits

I've just started using the Free Sitting Room. I've used it three times so far over the past week. The first and third time the session seems to have ended before I was done sitting. Is there an automatic timeout?

Sat (in FSR).
    Last edited by Hōkan; 07-04-2021 at 12:03 AM.
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Hōkan View Post
    I've just started using the Free Sitting Room. I've used it three times so far over the past week. The first and third time the session seems to have ended before I was done sitting. Is there an automatic timeout?
    Hmmm. I've never seen that happen before and I've used the FSR to sit up to 40+ minutes before. Did the app fully close and your camera turn off, etc.? Or did something else happen?

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    The app didn't close; the meeting seems to have ended.

My usual is to sit 45 minutes, walk for 15, sit for 45 more minutes; it's during that second 45 minutes that the meeting ended.

Perhaps there was a warning or other message before the meeting ended but I keep my device behind me so I wouldn't have seen any such message.

Sat (in FSR).
    Last edited by Hōkan; 07-04-2021 at 12:03 AM. Reason: forgot to mention sitting
    --
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

The app didn't close; the meeting seems to have ended.

My usual is to sit 45 minutes, walk for 15, sit for 45 more minutes; it's during that second 45 minutes that the meeting ended.

Perhaps there was a warning or other message before the meeting ended but I keep my device behind me so I wouldn't have seen any such message.

Sat (in FSR).
    It’s happened to me before, where the meeting ends and then I see a message “the meeting has been ended by the host”. If you notice it, just rejoin and if you don’t, then nothing happened Don’t worry about it

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I guess I should have Googled the problem before posting here...

I found a page:
    https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...-idle-meetings
    that suggests that a meeting will end after 40 minutes with only a single participant.

Sat
    --

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I guess I should have Googled the problem before posting here...

I found a page:
    that suggests that a meeting will end after 40 minutes with only a single participant.
    Thank you for posting this. I thought that the Treeleaf paid Zoom accounts were exempted from this limit. I will update the NOW pages to reflect this limit.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Being a curious geek I'm glad I could find something that helped.

Sat (virtually) this morning with Hokyoji in the Minnesota Driftless region.
    --

I found a page:
    Update on this issue. The critical note in the page above is this line in the "Paid licenses" section (Treeleaf has a "Pro" account):

1 host and 1 or more participants joined. Only one person remains in the meeting. The meeting will end 40 minutes later if no one else joins.
    I did a bunch of testing this week and found that I could stay logged into both the SSR and FSR for hours at a time (even when using my personal Zoom account). The only time I got logged out was after someone else joined and then left again. Which is exactly what that support article says.

So if you are in the SSR or FSR and everyone else leaves, you'll get logged out 40 minutes after the next to last person leaves.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah

I updated Treeleaf NOW with a note about this "40 minutes after everyone else leaves" status.

Desktop layout:
    Attachment 7116

Mobile (portrait) layout:
    Attachment 7117

Gassho,
    Sekishi

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    So if you are in the SSR or FSR and everyone else leaves, you'll get logged out 40 minutes after the next to last person leaves.
    This wasn't how I read it, but perhaps I'm reading challenged. My experience didn't align exactly with how I read it, but does align with how you describe it.

Thank you!

Sat today (in the FSR).
    --

That's happened to me many times too. It's good to know that there is a reason for it. I usually sit alone in the FSR in the early mornings during this half of the year where my time zone doesn't align with most and sometimes zoom ends inexplicably before I do. I always sit for at least 40 minutes though and usually its still there. Maybe someone comes and goes and I don't notice?

Gassho,
    Kenkū

sat & lah.

If nobody else is there you can stay for many hours.

If others join, then leave, the Zoom session quits 40 minutes after the last other person leaves.

Sat in the FSR today.
    --