Thread: Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a bell?

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a bell?

Last edited by _Jd_; 11-28-2021 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Jd_ View Post
    I use a bell on my phone and it works, I guess. But I'm left feeling like a real bell would bring a much deeper connection. Any suggested type/style (small) or place to buy?

Gassho
    Jd

Sat today
    A bell is a bell is a bell. A bell is truly emptiness reverberating into space. Dogen wrote that we sentient beings are like such a bell, quoting a poem by his Teacher ...

“The whole body [of the windbell] is like a mouth hanging in empty space-

Without distinguishing the winds from east, west, south, or north

Together expressing prajna equally to all beings-

Ding-dong-a-ling ding dong”

That said, any local Asian market or "Chinatown" might have some bells. Also your favorite place, Amazon.

If it has a nice tingaling, that is enough. The feeling of "deep connection" is up to you, in your own heart ... it is not in the bell or any object alone.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by _Jd_ View Post
    Maybe deeper connection wasn't a good use of words, but hearing it on a phone speaker is sorta like taps being played on the electronic bugle. Yeah it does the job, but you leave feeling sorta ripped off. And Amazon, here we go again HA

Gassho
    Jd

Sat today
    In Japan, one can buy nice ones in the "Dollar" (Yen) store for maybe $3. They make a nice sound, and one can get the little pillow for them, and the striking stick, for $1 each too. I would not pay a fortune for one. In America, I would not pay more than maybe $20 for a small one like this ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161883444307

Gassho, J

STLah

Here is one for less. I don't know with shipping ...

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/pr...shion-bell-set

Gassho, J

STLah

I agree that having a real bell makes you feel the resonance of the sound. I have a Tibetan singing bowl that I bought 30 years ago from a sale of items by Tibetan refugees in France. I word a rubber band around one end of the striker - which you don't use to strike the bowl, but rather run it along the rim to make it sing - and when I hold the bowl on a table with my fingers in the center of the bowl, and strike it just right, it sounds rich and the decay is very long. It's a very satisfying sound.

On the other end, you could take a wine glass - preferably crystal - and tap it with a fingernail; that, too, is a satisfying sound.

Or you could just say "bong."

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Like Ryumon I have a Tibetan singing bowl that has a really nice sound when struck. I think it cost me about $30 Canadian. I bought it at a arts and crafts festival where there were several to choose from and try.

The Insight Timer app has a really nice selection of bells. That’s what I use mostly.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Like Ryumon I have a Tibetan singing bowl that has a really nice sound when struck. I think it cost me about $30 Canadian. I bought it at a arts and crafts festival where there were several to choose from and try.

The Insight Timer app has a really nice selection of bells. That’s what I use mostly.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    My Insight preset is no bell at the start, so I ring mine, and at the end, the subtle wood block on the app going off once and I strike my bell again. WORKS LIKE A CHARM

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Here is one for less. I don't know with shipping ...

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/pr...shion-bell-set

Gassho, J
    I purchased a small bell (rin) from these guys several years ago. It has a really nice sound and I use
    it for our Zazenkai.

My Insight preset is no bell at the start, so I ring mine, and at the end, the subtle wood block on the app going off once and I strike my bell again. WORKS LIKE A CHARM

SatToday
    Ha, I'm having the same setting combination for my daily sits with IT

Gassho,
    Washin
    st, lah, struck the bell
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Washin View Post
    I purchased a small bell (rin) from these guys several years ago. It has a really nice sound and I use
    it for our Zazenkai.

Ha, I'm having the same setting combination for my daily sits with IT

Gassho,
    Washin
    st, lah, struck the bell
    why am I not surprised? ur my brotheeeer

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post

SatToday
    This sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of using my own bell in my daily sit.

Thanks for the idea Bion

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    This sounds like a good plan. I like the idea of using my own bell in my daily sit.

Thanks for the idea Bion

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Happy to be helpful, my friend

SatToday
    Bion

Thank you so much Jundo for linking the cheap bells site! While i love the Monastery Store, their selection of bells seem to be a bit pricey. I was about to spend 75 dollars USD for one of those little bells with a handle, and i ended up spending 15 bucks on a small bell from that link of yours.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post

SatToday
    Bion

I like this idea. I currently use Insight's Kangse bell x 3, 6 seconds apart to start my session and again 2 rings at the end. My small singing bowl sits on my alter, bit of a waste as it sound has a wonderful sustain. A Wood bock ending followed by my own "bell" would be a nice way to finish. If I adopt this I'll start muted for the EuroKiwi's sit !!

Sat (dung)

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Bion

I like this idea. I currently use Insight's Kangse bell x 3, 6 seconds apart to start my session and again 2 rings at the end. My small singing bowl sits on my alter, bit of a waste as it sound has a wonderful sustain. A Wood bock ending followed by my own "bell" would be a nice way to finish. If I adopt this I'll start muted for the EuroKiwi's sit !!

Sat (dung)
    Yep! Once I’m done chanting at the altar, I just move my bell to where my sitting place is and take it from there. I don’t need Insight to mark the beginning, just the ending and the woodblock is nice and quiet so it lets me use my own bell.

SatToday
    Bion

I have one of these on my home alter: https://www.chimes.com/collections/m...me-solo-silver
    But like others I mostly use my phone. Specifically "Insight Timer". But I still like the way that the real chimes sound and look.

Hope that helps,
    Gassho,
    steve

(sat today)

Ali express has a nice Zen/Ch'an type bell for $550.

Jon

I bought one of my bowl bells on Amazon or eBay (can't remember which), and the other was from an Earthbound store. My own InsightTimer when all-digital preference: Dengze to start, Wood Block every 5 minutes (keep me alert!), and Basu for Ending bell.

Gassho
    Kendrick
    SAT/LAH