Thread: Split Topic: Ultrasound, Meditation and Shikantaza

Split Topic: Ultrasound, Meditation and Shikantaza

JUNDO: I hope it is okay, but I moved this to its own topic.

Interesting developments in science and meditation:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...droidApp_Other
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-01-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    Interesting developments in science and meditation:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...droidApp_Other
    I support this kind of research very much.

BUT, as it progresses, there will still be a vital difference between types of "meditation," aided by pharmacological and technological interventions, that seek to help one attain very pleasant or blissful feelings, extra-ordinary "trips" or exotic mental states and experiences ...

... and those types and technological interventions which help one attain the radical non-attaining, equanimity, quieting of thoughts (especially obsessive and overly negative thoughts), cessation/moderation of desires and awareness of completion that is typical of the path of Shikantaza.

It is just the same as differences which exist now between Shikantaza and what passes for most kinds of "meditation" today which seek to help one gain something, achieve, improve, experience the unusual, be perpetually "happy happy" and the like. Shikantaza is not what most people typically conceive of as "meditation." We do not, as the article headline states, seek to "transcend reality," but neither is reality known in Shikantaza as before. I feel that the technology discussed in the video risks focusing too much on the former kind of gaining in "meditation," which can become just another shiny thing to run after with an acquisitive hunger. However, it need not be so, and technology can actually help individuals ... as counter-intuitive as it may sound ... to become better able to attain a mind of "non-attaining." Our ordinary mind, with its constant goals and dissatisfactions, ceaselessly planning and judging, might benefit from outside techniques which aid in the quieting of our spinning mental wheels. The technology shown in the video could be used, as strange as it sounds, to enhance equanimity and non-gaining too.

Furthermore, I very much appreciate that they are taking their time with the research, and are avoiding to create a product that is not carefully tested. However, I believe that the future of Shikantaza, and of Soto Zen, might be found in such technology. How strange and surprising that we might turn to technical developments of a future time in order to better realize timelessness, a greater appreciation of our natural state, and the dropping of all need for change and achievement, a short-cut on the path to realizing profoundly in the bones that "there was no where to go, thus no short-cut possible."

I am writing a book now in which I advocate for many physiological, neurological and other medical/technological interventions to help people realize many of the values of Buddhism (e.g., to make those with anger issues less violent, to help folks with depression, to help people be more compassionate and generous toward others, to help people be more easily satisfied and accepting of circumstances in their own life), so I am not adverse the the idea of what is in the video at all. In fact, I am a great supporter of such efforts and their potential.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

PS - I hope it is okay, but I am going to split this to its own thread.
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-30-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It is clear that, with regard to that aspect of Zazen which softens or drops the so-called "self/other divide," and allows one to experience the deep interflowing and inter-identity of self and all phenomena, that various brain stimulations and like interventions can aid subjects in more easily having such experiences. I support that. It may become a facilitator or partial alternative to some aspect of the hours and hours of Zazen sitting often necessary to triggering such experiences. HOWEVER, such experience alone IS NOT the entire Path of Practice which we must still learn to walk and embody day to day. It is only one aspect of Zazen, which is actually a path of embodying wisdom and compassion in all thoughts, words and acts throughout life.

Thus, such devices and experiences (like momentary "openings" in Zazen now) are not enough and not "enlightenment" alone. Nor should we ever stop sitting just to sit!

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

When I came into Treeleaf I knew only the few books on Zen I had read Thich Nhat Hanh, Suzuki Roshi, Allan Watts. Reaching about, I found Treeleaf Zendo, my Higher Power my belief, and Jundo my teacher. My choices good, I ha medetaded for pain relief several years. Slowly through shared sitting zazen, had learned and through videos, now trying to sit every morning, and on weekends, coming to a point of sitting longer than 1/2 hour, good, I still find my way from October 2014, Jukai, commitment, ever sitting. this almost exactly 3 years away from ICU, now I go to sit with friends, 8:30 CDT, USA, and this is the fullfilment, just a guy.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Streams of the river. The hermit, theif, and moon. Pain/discomfort leads to growth and truth.
    Gassho
    David
    Sat/lah