Thread: Squabbling Squashes!

Squabbling Squashes!

Dear all

I just heard about a Zen children's book co-written by Shohaku Okumura (author of 'Living by Vow' and 'Realizing Genjokoan') called Squabbling Squashes, and thought it might be of interest to parents of younger children here.

I haven't read yet it so can't comment on whether it is good or not but am guessing that Okumura's involvement means that it will be good on the Zen part.

Whether it will replace Jon Muth's Zen Shorts as my favourite ever children's Zen book remains to be seen!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Brilliant! Thank you for both recommendations.

Gassho
    Sat

It is based on a story often told by his teacher, Kosho Uchiyama, and makes an excellent point! _()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
    ds st/lah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

I imagine that Zen practice teaches them how to squash their squabbles. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Thank you for sharing this, and Zen Shorts! I wasn’t aware there were childrens’ Zen books.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today

Thanks for this Kokuu! I'll have to look for this one sooner than later.

John Muth's books are big favorites in our house—which partially explains why my family puts up with me. Maybe they're hoping that I'll turn into a panda like Stillwater...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

I really enjoyed the story this is based on (from Opening the Hand of Thought). I do not have children, but love a good children's book -- I will be sure to check this out! Maybe our local public library will end up getting a copy if I put it on their radar.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday

Crooked House by Wonderland Park in the Longfellow neighborhood of Minneapolis, MN, USA
    I look forward to my local (very good) library getting a copy of Squabbling Squashes. In the meanwhile I checked out and read the lovely Zen Shorts and I am now a Stillwater fan!

When I was checking out Zen Shorts the librarian who helped me averred that it was a favorite of theirs and mentioned that they were educated at Naropa University. Not all that many Buddhists in my area so it was nice to meet one.

Sat (and heading to the cushion in just moments to sit again).
    --
    Hōkan = 法閑 = Dharma Serenity
    To be entirely clear, I am not a hōkan = 幇間 = taikomochi = geisha, but I do wonder if my preceptor was having a bit of fun with me...

When I was checking out Zen Shorts the librarian who helped me averred that it was a favorite of theirs and mentioned that they were educated at Naropa University. Not all that many Buddhists in my area so it was nice to meet one.
    That is lovely to hear, Hokan! I love when chance encounters like that happen. Stillwater has a habit of bringing people together!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Received it in the mail today. Wonderful book. Very well presented and clearly written.
    gassho,shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Oooh, I'll be ordering this. Surely my wife's 'no new books' policy doesn't apply to 'kids' books, right?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

I think that is a definite work-around, Heiso!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Oh lovely, I didn't know about these. Thank you Kokuu and all. I have ordered a copy of Zen Shorts to begin with. I am wondering if children's books may be an easier way to introduce anyone, including adults, to Zen concepts? I will see when it arrives!

Gassho,
    Charity
    sat