Thread: June 11th-12th - A Special Shinshi Zazenkai, Live from a Barn in New Mexico!

June 11th-12th - A Special Shinshi Zazenkai, Live from a Barn in New Mexico!

Dear All,

Live from Shinshi's horse ranch in northern New Mexico (that's Shinshi above), where I am visiting for the next few days ...

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, 7pm New Mexico time, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-13-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: One-way YouTube video added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo. Will be there with instruments ready

Gassho,
    Washin
    StLah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Ah! What a treat this will be!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Glad you are there. Hope to sit live this evening since you are in our State….I will bow northerly

That is 7 PM New Mexico time unless the northern half of the state is in a different time zone

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post

That is 7 PM New Mexico time unless the northern half of the state is in a different time zone
    Thank you. I am still having trouble this trip with knowing what day and time zone I am in. I guess I am in Dogen's being-time!

Gassho, J

STLah

Some images of Bato Kannon, Horseheaded Kannon Bodhisattva, much prized in traditional Japan ...

Bato Kannon (horse-headed Kannon, also called Mezu Kannon), hayagriiva in Sanskrit, is one shape of Bosatsu (Bodhisattva) worshipped in Buddhism. It is one of the transformations of Kannon Bosatsu (Kannon Bodhisattva) and is also included in Roku Kannon (six deities of mercy). It [often] has fierce expression, which is rare for Kannon.

... In addition, due to the name 'Bato' (horse head), it is worshiped as a guardian Buddha of horses in folk beliefs. Furthermore, it is said that this Kannon saves not only horses but all chikusho (beasts), and guides and benefits chikushodo (the realm of animals) among Roku Kannon (the Six Kannons).
    There are some markers for Bato Kannon like this, in our neighborhood in Tsukuba, perhaps places where the people living there in centuries past honored the spirits of horses and other farm animals who had died. (The Kanji read Bato Kannon)

Gassho and Giddyup, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-12-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Lovely sitting with everyone again, I know I haven't been around much so it was nice to be back!

Evan Tatay-Hinds
    sattoday, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all for coming together from everywhere in the ten directions to practice.

Gassho,
    Sekishi

P.S. Apologies for posting the YouTube one-way video late.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you.

Good to have a Zazen in New Mexico.

Doshin
    St

Thank you all! It's always a pleasure to sit/practice together.

Shinshi, thank you for the talk and for sharing such an inspiring story!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat(this) today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thanks to all of you in all directions who come to sit together. Thank you Washin for the early rise and your chanting. Thank you Shinshi for opening your house to all of us, especially our beloved Jundo, and for the very moving talk!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Gratitude.

gassho
    ds sat today & & some roadside lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

It is wonderful to have the recording available so I could finish sitting with you all. Thank you for the beautiful talk, Shinshi. It brought back to me all the love and gratitude I have for the horse who my childhood best friend.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Thank you, everyone. I did this zazenkai in two sittings today. The talk about the horses was touching.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you stablemates!

Gassho
    Kantai

SatLah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Great Zazenkai and wonderful talk.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Going to sit this one now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you all. I sat with you this morning.

Lovely talk Shinshi. My niece is passionate about horses and I have heard her say very similar things about riding as you did in your talk. Thank you for letting us into your home.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you all for your kind words. It was interesting doing the Zazenkai in the horse stall.

Interesting tidbit - this is the same stall the Jundo cleaned.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Finally got to sit with this after several days of happy anticipation Shinshi you can add your talk to one of a few that have brought tears for me, as a fellow horse lover it really hit home. The way one communicates so intimately with another being when interacting with an equine… such a beautiful example of interconnectedness, not just across humanity but right across species. And the key point of how horses in particular are such a mirror when we work with them and can teach us so much about ourselves. Lovely

Oh yes and thank you Jundo and Leon for cleaning the stall for us

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So late in responding! I just wanted to thank you, Shinshi, for a marvelous talk. What a lovely Zazenkai.

And of course, thank you everyone for your practice

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you Shinshi for this wonderful talk. And all for this Zazenkai.

Gassho
    Sat

Beautiful! Thank you both.

Lovely talk, Shinshi!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-