Thread: What's the Point!

What's the Point!

Someone heard me say that we can practice in this life, living to be gentle and wise now, unconcerned about lives after this one. They wrote to ask me the point of practicing Zen without a "belief in rebirth ... If there is no rebirth, don't we all escape samsara when we die - whether we sit or not?"

I answered: Who said that there is no rebirth?

One is reborn as all this world, each baby and blade of grass, which are our 10,000 other faces (as much as your left eye is your right eye on the left!) Our good or harmful acts have consequences which impact the world, not only our own present life, but the lives of sentient beings near and far, rippling onward, endlessly through time.

If YOU are mainly interested in what this practice can do for YOUR PERSONAL rebirth, then that would be a selfish attitude, plus hopeless from a Buddhist point of view, as there is no "YOUR PERSONAL" beyond the little self! In our Bodhisattva Vow, our practice is never for ourself alone, but for rescue of all sentient beings everywhere, now or then, here and far. In fact, YOUR fixation on YOUR desires for "YOUR PERSONAL" is the root of all Dukkha! Though some folks practice for what "I" can get out of it, there is no "I" nor "not I" which can be gotten! There is never an "our self," and all is our self, True Self, No Self which is All Selves.

The Buddha's realization under the Bodhi Tree:
    "I and all beings together realize enlightenment." Above and Below , All are the Honored One Alone.

In any case, lives or not after this one, live gently now for now is the pivot point: I do not know or much care about hells after death, for I see enough lost people create hells for themselves and those they touch in this life. Live gently now, and what comes will come.

The person also asked, if we are already enlightened as some Zen folks claim, then why bother to sit? Buddha did not believe in intrinsic freedom, he believed in a path to liberation from samsara.

I said: Yes, we believe this too. Better said, we believe both as true at once.

We are already liberated, always were and always will be, but most sentient beings do not realize so. They bury this fact in greed, anger and the divided thinking of ignorance. Thus, we must walk the path to realize so, acting in peace and gentleness in every step, embodying the Buddhist way.

If someone thinks, "I am already liberated, thus I don't need to do anything," then they do not understand. If someone thinks that liberation is lifetimes away, and not in this immediate thought, word and act right here and now, and what one chooses to do with it for good or bad, then they do not understand.

One sits, as the Buddha chose to sit under the Tree. One sits as the morning star shining, nothing lacking nor anything to add to this shining light. Thus we sit Zazen, then getting up from the cushion, encounter endless times to put this Path into Practice in each moment.

Someone else asked recently: "what to do when sitting seems pointless?"

I advise: TRUST, with total unvoiced FAITH deep in the marrow of the bones, that THIS VERY SITTING is the fulfillment of anything and everything ever to be desired or had in life, the one place to be, the only act to do in all the universe in this very moment of sitting, with sitting the pinnacle of the mountain and the arrival at the goal in sitting itself, one's sitting sat as all Buddhas and Ancestors sitting with one's very ass! That should help.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-21-2021 at 04:09 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho

Stlah
    Kaisho

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Love this

Gassho

Horin

Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Wonderful. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

This is wonderful teaching. Thank you Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Right to the pointless point! Thank you!
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    st

Yes.

Kenkū

sat/lah

Thank you for this teaching. It's something one can never hear often enough.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Awesome!
    Gassho
    Thankyou.

St Lah

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kotei
    sat today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Wonderful. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    Life itself is the only teacher.
    一 Joko Beck

STLah
    安知 Anchi

Great teaching, thank you.

Gassho,
    John
    Sat today

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your teachings, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Steve
    sat today

This is wonderful teaching. I have read and reread many times, and the wisdom is superbly profound.

Deep gassho,
    Van
    SAT/LAH

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Gassho,
    Kevin
    ST

Thank you Jundo,
    So many times I have been greatful for your wisdom, particularly at this life's most challenging times.
    Gassho
    Richard Tenrai

ST

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    SatToday
    流道
    Ryū Dou