Thread: A Buddha or Buddha - The Point of Zazen

A Buddha or Buddha - The Point of Zazen

In Point of Zazen Dogen brings Mazu Koan of "becoming a Buddha" to a whole new level:

Mazu said, “My intention is to become a buddha.” Clarify these words. What is the meaning of become a buddha? Does become a buddha mean being made buddha by another buddha, or buddha making oneself buddha? Is this the emergence of one or two buddhas? Is the intention to become buddha dropping off, or is dropping off the intention to become buddha? Does this mean that however many ways there are to become buddha, to be immersed in this intention to become a buddha is the intention to become buddha? Know that Mazu meant that zazen is inevitably the intention to become buddha, and that zazen is inevitably becoming buddha with intention. Intention is prior to becoming a buddha and after becoming a buddha. Intention is the very moment of becoming buddha. I ask you: How much of becoming buddha is being immersed in intention? This immersion is immersed in immersion. Immersion is always a direct expression of totally becoming buddha, every bit of completely intending to become buddha. Do not avoid even a bit of intention. If you avoid it, you lose your body and miss your life. When you lose your body and miss your life, this too is immersion in intention.
    How does the use of determiner "a" in certain places "a buddha" and its omission in others, leaving just "buddha" impact the meaning of the text?
    I feel like it is important somehow, but as English is not my native language, I'm not sure how.

Gassho
    Sat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    In Point of Zazen Dogen brings Mazu Koan of "becoming a Buddha" to a whole new level:

How does the use of determiner "a" in certain places "a buddha" and its omission in others, leaving just "buddha" impact the meaning of the text?
    I feel like it is important somehow, but as English is not my native language, I'm not sure how.

Gassho
    Sat
    Hi Inshin,

Chinese and Japanese do not really have articles or a clear plural and singular. So, the Kanji used in the original, 作佛, is just "make Buddha(s)" (as well as variations such as "made Buddha(s)" "making Buddha(s)" "becoming Buddha(s)" "Buddha(s) that becomes" "Buddha(s) who makes" "Buddha(s) of making" and the like.) Dogen had a lot of fun with the ambiguity.

Ambiguity covers it all, in fact.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 05-10-2021 at 10:29 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Ambiguity covers it all, in fact.

Are we one or many? Singular or infinite? Occassionally an orange can be an orange. It could be title vs being. Jundo again has a very clear and well stated answer.
    Gassho
    David
    Lah