Thread: Anniversary Fundraiser for Doctors Without Borders - Celebrating Treeleaf's 15th

Anniversary Fundraiser for Doctors Without Borders - Celebrating Treeleaf's 15th

Amount Raised So Far: $1615.....(6/09/21) Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

“Heaven and Earth give themselves. Air, water, plants, animals, and humans give themselves to each other. It is in this giving-themselves-to-each-other that we actually live. Whether you appreciate it or not, it is true.”

- Kodo Sawaki Roshi

“Even if a person throws the rinsings of a bowl or a cup into a village pool or pond, thinking, 'May whatever animals live here feed on this,' that would be a source of merit.”

- Vaccha Sutta (On Giving)

Giving (dana) has been part of Buddhist society from its very beginnings. Just before his awakening, the Buddha himself received a gift of rice porridge from the lay woman Sujata, who took pity on his body which was emaciated from long ascetic practice, and the early sangha was entirely dependent on food offerings from their alms round in order to eat.

In the Dhana Sutta, the Buddha speaks of seven treasures, of which one is the treasure of dana (generosity):

“And what is the treasure of generosity? There is the case of a disciple of the noble ones, his awareness cleansed of the stain of stinginess, living at home, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms. This is called the treasure of generosity.”

Similarly, in Mahayana Buddhism, generosity is one of the six perfections of a bodhisattva, and the one that is seen to come first. If we cannot be generous with others, on what basis do we call ourselves bodhisattvas, which is nothing other than a path of service to all beings?

In Entering the Mind of Buddha, Reb Anderson says that “Giving is the warm heart of bodhisattva practice. Generosity attends and responds with kindness to whatever turns up, including all people and events we find challenging. It is graciously receiving all aspects of our life. When it is perfected, the joyful practice of giving includes all bodhisattva practices.”

In Buddhist terms, it is seen that in the practice of giving all three parts of the process – giver, receiver and gift – are empty of self and the entire notion of ownership is one that is entirely fabricated. We come into this world with nothing and leave with nothing. What we are is completely made of other and will become something else after we leave this visible world. How then, can we claim ownership of anything?

In the relative world, however, we work to earn money so that we can own clothes, a house, food and implements to cook it with, a car etc. This temporary legal ownership of possessions allows us to practice generosity by giving what is notionally ours to someone else, as objects, our time and energy or, as is common, in the form of money.

The Buddha said that “A gift of Dhamma conquers all gifts” (Dhammapada, 354) and we are all in receipt of a huge gift of dharma in the form of Treeleaf itself and all of the teachings presented here. Although we may voluntarily contribute to the running of the Zendo, in fifteen years Jundo has never demanded a penny for what he founded and gives to every day with his energy, knowledge and care for each and every one of us. What we give in return is our practice and what we do with it in the world, through our jobs, our relationships and how we treat all sentient beings.

At this time of the fifteenth anniversary of Treeleaf, we consider it important to acknowledge that we do not just practice for ourselves but for the sake of all beings. Therefore, as part of the celebration we wish to benefit others and are asking if sangha members will consider donating to Doctors Without Borders (https://www.msf.org/). As most people will know, this is a fantastic organisation which provides medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. Their teams are made up of tens of thousands of health professionals, logistic and administrative staff - most of them hired locally.

Donations are, of course, completely voluntary but we would love it if you could help celebrate Treeleaf’s anniversary by contributing to our campaign to raise money to help others through the work of DWB. Giving is both part of our practice and the fruit of it. Let us be generous with that fruit.

Click Here for Fundraiser Link

Feel free to share the fundraiser link with others!

With deep bows
    Kokuu (they/them)
    Last edited by Kokuu; 06-09-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Hi Kokuu,

Thank you for sharing this post. I always admire Doctors Without Borders. There shouldn't be any borders between people and things. We live in an interconnected world, but most of us never realise it. I definitely need to practice dana. I will donate.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

Deep gassho,

Van
    Sat + lah

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thank you for organizing this.

This is a beautiful way to celebrate Treeleaf's Anniversary.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Hi,
    Do people here have difficulty donating to MSF? I have tried Palpay, Amazon and even Debit card without any success.

Van
    Sat

Hi Van

I didn't have a problem using Paypal and don't know what to suggest.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

I also didn't have any trouble with PayPal. Sometimes problems like that can be solved by restarting your phone or computer. Other times it can be a problem with your browser. If all else fails, you can call their office to make a donation.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

no problem with paypal here in Belgium.

aprapti

sat

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Hi,

This keeps happening. I have tried on different browsers and on my phone and laptop.

Van

Quote Originally Posted by vanbui View Post
    Hi,

This keeps happening. I have tried on different browsers and on my phone and laptop.

Van

Van,

I'm sorry there are some technical errors. We selected to fundraise through Doctor's Without Borders platform because then we won't have to transfer the donations around and lose a portion to additional fees. But unfortunately that means I have not idea how the system works behind the screens and we don't have any access to try to "fix" anything.

I also searched around for help or support... but that doesn't seem to exist either.

I'm sorry the system is being difficult, we all figured it would be simple this way.

The fundraiser will continue through the end of the month, so maybe give it a week and see if the stars align at another time.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    Van,

I'm sorry there are some technical errors. We selected to fundraise through Doctor's Without Borders platform because then we won't have to transfer the donations around and lose a portion to additional fees. But unfortunately that means I have not idea how the system works behind the screens and we don't have any access to try to "fix" anything.

I also searched around for help or support... but that doesn't seem to exist either.

I'm sorry the system is being difficult, we all figured it would be simple this way.

The fundraiser will continue through the end of the month, so maybe give it a week and see if the stars align at another time.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat/lah
    Thanks Shoka,

All sorted. Again, thank you to everyone in Treeleaf who has organised this activity so we can all practise dana.

Gassho
    Can
    Sat+lah

Thank you for organizing this.

I think it fits very well to Treeleaf's birthday party.
    Making a real change out there in the world, helping others...

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Good for Treeleaf to be supporting Medecins Sans Frontiers, I donate monthly to the organisation, given my daughters medical background and the great work these people do.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    This is a beautiful way to celebrate Treeleaf's Anniversary.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah

Gassho
    Seibu
    Sattoday/lah
    Last edited by Kokuu; 05-06-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Deep bows and thanks.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat/lah

Wow everyone! Seeing the fundraiser hit $1,000 this morning made my heart so happy!

Please remember large or small all donations help us move towards our goal of helping others.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat, lah

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you for organizing this effort.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Great idea, thanks for organising.

Gassho

Heiso.

StLah.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Just bumping this thread.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

So great.

Thank you for organizing.

Gassho,
    Hensho
    Hensho: Knitting Strands / Stranded on a Reef
    "Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises." -Elizabeth Zimmerman

Hello,
    on Doctors without Borders's website, there is a 'News' section about their current work, that I found interesting to read: https://www.doctorswithoutborders.or...o/news-stories
    Thanks for helping to help.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Another wee thread bump in case anyone is feeling particularly prosperous!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Accompanying each rakusu returned with embroidered back, comes a calligraphy of one's own linage from the Buddha, through Dogen to the recipient with their Dharma name. I believe mine was discarded with packing when my completed rakusu as gift from our Sangha. I believe this, though I may be mistake, somehow this essential document to every rakusu as is to mine missing. I have looked in every notebook, every book, every scrap of stuff I own, and to my dismay it is gone. I am deeply saddened that this essential picture to my linage of my name Tai Shi (calm poetry) is missing.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 06-01-2021 at 01:27 AM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Accompanying each rakusu returned with embroidered back, comes a calligraphy of one's own linage from the Buddha, through Dogen to the recipient with their Dharma name. I believe mine was discarded with packing when my completed rakusu as gift from our Sangha. I believe this, though I may be mistake, somehow this essential document to every rakusu as is to mine missing. I have looked in every notebook, every book, every scrap of stuff I own, and to my dismay it is gone. I am deeply saddened that this essential picture to my linage of my name Tai Shi (calm poetry) is missing.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    It is never missing.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Bodhisattvas,

Hey, here's something to smile about, we have reached $1,515 in donations so far! Woo hoo! Thanks to all for such lovely generosity. Let's keep going, every bit counts for those who are in need.

Deep Bows,
    Byokan
    sat/lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.