Thread: April 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: Chanting the Bát-nhă-ba-la-mật-đa tâm kinh

April 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: Chanting the Bát-nhă-ba-la-mật-đa tâm kinh

Today, we will Chant the Heart Sutra in Vietnamese

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:
    [CENTER]
    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-23-2021 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added one-way video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today, we will Chant (or listen with) this Heart Sutra in Vietnamese from Plum Village. It begins with silence and bells, about 50 seconds in ...

A quick AI translation ...

When the Bodhisattva contemplated the practice of the Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da, he saw that the five aggregates were not, immediately going through all the suffering.
    This Xa Loi Phat, Sac is no different, no different, Sac is not, not is color. Consciousness, Thought, Action, and Consciousness are the same.
    This Xa Loi Phat, the emptiness of the dharma s that do not arise and cease to exist, are not clean, neither add nor remove.
    So in General No.
    There is no identity; there is no Tree, Thought, Action, and Consciousness;
    Without Eyes, Ears, Nose, Tongue, Body, and Mind;
    No color, bar, taste, shampoo;
    Without gender vision, until there is no sense of gender;
    There is no ignorance, nor all ignorance;
    Until there is no old or death, there is no end of old age or death.
    There is no Suffering, Practice, Destruction, Dao;
    There is no Wisdom, there is no Dacitipa,
    Because there is no place, so Bodhisattva y Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da, the mind does not obstruct.
    Do not hesitate, so do not fear, far away from fantasies, reach the end of Nirvana.
    The Buddhas of the three generations followed the Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da that was led to Supreme, Righteousness, and Righteousness.
    Should know that Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da is great mantra, is great mantra, is superior mantra, is unequaled uncle, or can eliminate all suffering, truth is not lie.
    So saying the Mantra Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da, immediately said the Mantra:
    "Gate Gate Parasamgate Parasamgate Bodhi Sowa Ka"

Khi Bồ Tát Quán Tự Tại hành sâu Bát-Nhă-Ba-La-Mật-Đa, ngài soi thấy năm uẩn đều không, liền qua hết thảy khổ ách.
    Này Xá Lợi Phất, Sắc chẳng khác không, không chẳng khác Sắc, Sắc tức là không, không tức là sắc. Thụ, Tưởng, Hành, Thức cũng lại như thế.
    Này Xá Lợi Phất, tướng Không của các pháp không sinh không diệt, không nhơ không sạch, không thêm không bớt.
    Cho nên trong tướng Không
    Không có sắc; không có Thụ, Tưởng, Hành, Thức;
    Không có Mắt, Tai, Mũi, Lưỡi, Thân, Ư;
    Không có Sắc, Thanh, Hương, Vị, Xúc, Pháp;
    Không có nhăn giới, cho đến không có ư thức giới;
    Không có vô minh, cũng không có hết vô minh;
    Cho đến không có già chết, cũng không có hết già chết.
    Không có Khổ, Tập, Diệt, Đạo;
    Không có Trí tuệ, cũng không có Chứng Đắc,
    V́ có chỗ không được nên Bồ Tát y Bát-Nhă-Ba-La-Mật-Đa, tâm không ngăn ngại.
    V́ không ngăn ngại nên không sợ hăi, xa hẳn điên đảo mộng tưởng, đạt tới cứu cánh Niết Bàn.
    Chư Phật ba đời đều y theo Bát-Nhă-Ba-La-Mật-Đa được đạo quả Vô thượng, Chính Đẳng, Chính Giác.
    Nên biết Bát-Nhă-Ba-La-Mật-Đa là đại thần chú, là đại minh chú, là vô thượng chú, là vô đẳng đẳng chú, hay trừ được hết thảy khổ, chân thật không dối.
    V́ vậy nói Chú Bát-Nhă-Ba-La-Mật-Đa, liền nói Chú rằng:
    "Yết Đế, Yết Đế, Ba la Yết Đế, Ba la tăng Yết Đế, Bồ Đề tát Bà Ha"
    Form is no other than emptiness, emptiness no other than form; Form is precisely emptiness, emptiness precisely form.
    Sắc chẳng khác không, không chẳng khác Sắc, Sắc tức là không, không tức là sắc.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-23-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. I appreciated the reminder that friends can become enemies but also enemies can become friends; it's a matter of taking care. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. It was lovely to sit and practice with you all this evening (even if my back thinks otherwise).

I do want to expand on the story Bion told during tea. There have been three instances in my life where I have just met someone and thought negatively about them. My longest friend from college, my old coworker, and Bion. The things I thought and judged were a mirror reflection of something about myself I felt insecure about or held myself to a high standard.

With all three, it didn't take long at all for them to become the best three friends I have in my life to this day, over the last 17 years. So, thank you for the reminder that even if not "enemies" per se, we all have the opportunity to be close friends if given the opportunity.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Some interesting finds when I look closely at the AI machine translation of the Heart Sutra today ... wonderful ...

... No color, bar, taste, shampoo;
    Without gender vision, until there is no sense of gender;

There is no Wisdom, there is no Dacitipa

... Should know that Bat-Nha-Ba-La-Secret-Da is great mantra, is great mantra, is superior mantra, is unequaled uncle, or can eliminate all suffering, truth is not lie.

Yes, no shampoo, dear unequaled uncle!

(No clue what is "Dacitipa," which google defines as ... "Dacitipa")

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Sat on demand. Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    John
    Sat today

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this sunny morning with the windows open.

That was a lovely Heart Sutra.

Thank you for the talk Jundo. ☮️

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Wonderful heart sutra, enjoyed just experiencing the sound. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all who sat and will sit.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everybody for your effort.
    I loved the Vietnamese Hannya! Wow, so musical, I may try to learn it!

Gassho,
    Mags ST

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Lovely Heart Sutra, I understood nothing and everything

Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Lovely! Really enjoyed the Vietnamese chanting.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you all, I sat with you this morning.
    PS I liked the choral aspect of the Vietnamese Heart Sutra. Too bad we can't all chant it together like that.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat Today

Going to sit this one now.
    Gassho,
    Matt

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.