Thread: ARTS: How to Make you Own Dogen Zenji Figurine!

ARTS: How to Make you Own Dogen Zenji Figurine!

Hi All,

I will move this to our Treeleaf Arts Center eventually, but just thought this neat, so will post here for awhile.

Tavis Beem is a hobby craftsman who makes all kinds of things, from tennis ball launching catapults to miniature Hobbit Hole replicas. One day, he decided to make a Dogen Doll based on images from the movie ...

... and he asked me to be consultant. I offered what help I could. You can see the results here:

Tavis' channel is here, and is filled with ideas for lots of other stuff to make at home ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0s...pjlL8mLxhR34Jg

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-19-2021 at 01:35 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

That's lovely. I'd love to have one. Is he making them to sell?

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Ah, that's a great looking project for vacation.

Thanks Jundo!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Cool. I will wait until he gives directions to make the Dude.

Doshin
    S

That's awesome, love the figurine

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

You threw me a curveball there, Jundo. I thought you were referring to the actor Nick Offerman (so good in Season 2 of Fargo), who is also a well known woodworker. Nonetheless, I would like to try to make this for my altar.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    download.jpeg.jpg
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

I must make a Nick Offerman Zenji Figurine.

Gassho, Jim
    ST/LaH

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

Quote Originally Posted by JimInBC View Post
    I must make a Nick Offerman Zenji Figurine.

Gassho, Jim
    ST/LaH

Oh, SORRY! The artist's name is "Tavis Beem!" The page just happens to have a quote from the actor Nick Offerman! I am making the correction. OOOPS!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - I watched the U.S. "Parks and Recreation" show last year while on my daily exercise bicycle, with Nick Offerman as "Ron Swanson." Very good. The show actually had a Zen moment:

Swanson, played brilliantly as always by Nick Offerman ... the “Don’t Tread on Me”-government-hating government worker did go to a meditation center of some kind, in a rare moment of deference to his health-nut pseudo-boss Chris (Rob Lowe), who sometimes goes in for spiritual or even New Agey stuff. But Ron’s only along to get chummy enough with Chris that he can keep his plum job of being paid to do as little as possible.

So what did Ron do in there if he wasn’t meditating? ... as Ron himself puts it:

All told, we were in there about six hours. And no, I was not meditating. I just stood there quietly breathing. There were no thoughts in my head whatsoever; my mind was blank.* I don’t know what those crackpots [in there] were doing.

Last edited by Jundo; 04-19-2021 at 12:48 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh, SORRY! The artist's name is "Tavis Beem!" The page just happens to have a quote from the actor Nick Offerman! I am making the correction. OOOPS!
    I got that. I just really want a Nick Offerman Figurine now.

Gassho, Jim
    ST/LaH

No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

I at first thought it was actually Nick Offerman making a Dogen figurine, because he actually does run his own workshop. He seems like a really cool guy, and I LOVE Parks and Rec. That scene of course really got me.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Oooh, this is sooo cool!! I make myself miniature sceneries, this is so inspiring
    Sat, Gassho

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Yep I'll go along with cool.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart