Thread: Greatest Hits #2 - The Best Zen is so Disappointing - Celebrating Treeleaf's 15th

Greatest Hits #2 - The Best Zen is so Disappointing - Celebrating Treeleaf's 15th

Sorry everyone it didn’t take long for our Greatest Hits to be disappointing!

In another classic Jundo talk, he takes away all the mystery, high hopes and leaves us pretty disappointed in zen’s ability to fix any of the ills in our life. Or even to at least make us feel great while we are sitting for the day.

Jundo even points out that “counter-intuitive as it may seem, a Sangha or Teacher which meets all the student's expectations, golden dreams, ideals and desires too would be a disservice”

So not only do we not get peaches and cream, but we should be prepared for rough spots.

It’s a wonder any of us stayed around for Treeleaf to get to it’s 15 year anniversary with that rosie outlook!

The original post can be found here:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...=disappointing

Do you remember when you first heard this talk or the same message from Jundo?

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat/lah

PS - Yes, I do find myself punny :P

I never compliment Jundo on his Dharma talk. There are good things and bad things about each talk. There are good talks and bad talks. Jundo is human and he can get sick like you and me. There is no magic in Zen, and there is no whim wham in Jundo. Give me a break! You are human too. And you just might be making a mistake here!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

When I viewed this video for the first time, it encouraged me to keep a regular practice, even with the ups and downs I felt with it. I was glad to have found a teacher who presented the practice this way. The interactions of an online zendo are different than the interactions in person, and this teaching helped me navigate this way of relating. To acknowledge that the practice and the teachers are very ordinary is grounding. Maybe I'm not disappointed enough, but I don't mind that. :=) Sorry to go over three sentences.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Last edited by Onkai; 04-17-2021 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Repeated a word unintentionally
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I never compliment Jundo on his Dharma talk. There are good things and bad things about each talk. There are good talks and bad talks. Jundo is human and he can get sick like you and me. There is no magic in Zen, and there is no whim wham in Jundo. Give me a break! You are human too. And you just might be making a mistake here!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Tai Shi gets it!
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

This is a lesson I remind myself of frequently.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Jundo,

I strive to be more like you Your kindness, tolerance and acceptance of iimperfection are role models.

Doshin
    St

Perhaps, expect nothing

want nothing

Accept everything

Gassho

Dick

Sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Jundo,

I strive to be more like you Your kindness, tolerance and acceptance of iimperfection are role models.

Doshin
    St
    Hah! My wife and kids might disagree sometimes.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo for everything you do for us!!!
    Gassho sat
    lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    Perhaps, expect nothing

want nothing

Accept everything

Gassho

Dick

Sat/lah

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.