Thread: Dana (Donation) for Kakunen at Toshoji Monastery 2021

Dana (Donation) for Kakunen at Toshoji Monastery 2021

Dear All,

Our friend of Treeleaf and long time member in Japan, Kakunen, who is also in priest training at various monasteries here, will be spending many months or a year in training at Toshoji monastery in western Japan.

If you would like to put a little dana (donation) in his monk's bowl to support his training, it would be welcome. Yes, even such things cost money in this world for food and board. He said that all funds will be used for his training.

He is best helped through paypal, using his email address: monk.kakunen[a]gmail.com

There is no obligation, times are hard, and many good places to donate money these days for people in need. So, only if you have funds to spare and would like help.

Gassho, Jundo
    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Can you take it out of my contribution to Treeleaf if I up the anti $2 but you must allow me to send you money with pay pal.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Nothing is so beautiful as spring--/ When weeds in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush: Thrush eggs look little low heavens, and thrush/ Through the echoing timber does not rise and wring/ The ear it strikes like lightening to hear him sing;.." Hopkins

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Can you take it out of my contribution to Treeleaf if I up the anti $2 but you must allow me to send you money with pay pal.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Tai Shi

It is a bit hard to do that, Tai Shi. You can send the money directly to him. Thank you for doing so.

Gassho, J

STLah

Not sure how to do that.
    Gassho
    Sat/ lah

"Nothing is so beautiful as spring--/ When weeds in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush: Thrush eggs look little low heavens, and thrush/ Through the echoing timber does not rise and wring/ The ear it strikes like lightening to hear him sing;.." Hopkins

Would like to send dana but Paypal wants $4.33 extra to send it and that's ridiculous .

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    Would like to send dana but Paypal wants $4.33 extra to send it and that's ridiculous .
    You should be able to send it for free as "Sending to Family or Friends". It is not a service or business payment.

I am sure that Kakunen, who is now in silence in the monastery, would thank you for your efforts.

Not sure how to do that.
    It is okay, Tai Shi. Truly, it is the thought which counts.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Jundo you are my friend. I listen to you and your values are something I want to learn about. I know you probably get a lot less as a priest than you would as a lawyer and translator. You make sacrifices everyday and you may even be working for free and working on the side. I admire you for that.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Jundo you are my friend. I listen to you and your values are something I want to learn about. I know you probably get a lot less as a priest than you would as a lawyer and translator. You make sacrifices everyday and you may even be working for free and working on the side. I admire you for that.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    I earn nothing as a priest (I am donating the money from my book), and I get nothing as a lawyer either (I don't practice).

I do pay for my kid going to Virginia Tech (he just got accepted this week) as a Japanese translator.

I used to work as a lawyer, but I liked to tell my clients not to fight, to "meditate, not litigate," and that money is not so important. My bosses did not appreciate that, as bad for "billable hours."

If you need help to make a one-time donation to him by paypal, and want to do so, I can help. It is not so hard. However, really, feel no obligation if money is tight as it is for lots of folks these days.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I know that this man needs to learn his craft and like graduate school somebody has to pay. I worked my way through school. I always held a job and sometimes it was washing pots and pans. Sometimes I had two jobs but I love the craft of writing so I did something else along the way.
    For two summers I helped on a garbage truck. I wasnít too proud to do a days work. I made it through school and settled for low pay just so I could teach kids how to write because I tried to do what was right. What did you do?
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Thatís not fair to you Jundo. I know this Zendo is and was your dream, that in 2002 or after you began with a handful of students. I know you have sacrificed everything for us. Your family I know they come first. Mine too. But for me for a long time it wasnít that way and I thought I was going to be a great poet. I bought into a Bill of goods that was wrong and for the rest of the days ahead I will pay because I was wrong. My daughter still is at age 32 just starting to see that there might be something to dad besides a big bag of wind and I have AA to thank for this. Now Treeleaf adds values to sobriety. But without sobriety nothing would be possible. Treeleaf Zendo is a way but there is no one right way. The Catholic Church has been shoving it down peopleís throats for two thousand years. That is wrong. To tell people there is only one way is a lie. Millions of libraries all over the world show that is wrong. Jundo there are billions of Buddhists now who is right. There are thousands of philosophers like Dogen and hundreds of thousands of professors who study these ideas. Jundo there are many ways not just Shikantaza or Judaism, or St Agustin or Martin Luther or any crack pot who is wise enough to set up a school. I am certain the Buddha believed in democracy because look at the school he set up in his own ways. Buddhism itself is only one way. And I am willing to have you help me give this man $5.00 to his pay pal account. But if you are helping him he better be doing his pots and pans.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I earn nothing as a priest (I am donating the money from my book)
    Thank you for all you do for this community Jundo. It literally would not exist without your vision and efforts.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Thank you for all you do for this community Jundo. It literally would not exist without your vision and efforts.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Yes. Thank you.

Doshin
    St

仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Let silence take you to the core of life (Rumi)

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Can't get paypal to show me sending to family or friends. It finds kukunen's email adress just fine in send money but then wants to tack on a fee probably because of the conversion to Yen.

Kyousui - strong waters 強 水

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousui View Post
    Can't get paypal to show me sending to family or friends. It finds kukunen's email adress just fine in send money but then wants to tack on a fee probably because of the conversion to Yen.
    Oh brother, those guys ... fees fees fees. I found this online.

PayPal is free only for personal payments made to friends and family within the United States. For international transfers and business transactions, there are transfer fees as described above as well as merchant fees for goods and services.

Depending on the size and frequency of international transfers, the cost starts to add up. While there isn’t a way to avoid PayPal’s transaction fees altogether, there are ways to mitigate cost:
    Hmmm. Let me think of a way. Hmmmm.

I solve Koans, questions of time and space, the meaning of life. However, trying to get around paypal fees, now THERE IS THE REAL MYSTERY!

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo I updated my continuations. Couldnít you just take it out of there? Thatís the specific reason I upped my amount.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

It doesn't work that way Spanky, you gotta go direct on Paypal to the monk himself

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Okay, here is what we are gonna do.

For some, the paypal charge is no bother and, if they wish to donate to Kakunen directly, they can via his paypal account. (I remind everyone, however, that there is no compulsion or requirement to donate to Kakunen, and it is only a nice things if you want to do so.)

For others, please make the donation directly to U.S. Treeleaf's paypal account using the "friends and family" option (so no service charge):

http://www.treeleaf.org/donations-to-treeleaf-sangha/

PM me privately that you are doing so, and the amount, and in a few weeks, we will make a lump sum donation to Kakunin (thereby only incurring the service charge once as it is a fixed amount up to $1000 I think). However, this will only work for the United States (and, I think, Canada).

If Europeans wish to donate something, and are facing the same issue, then we will have to do something similar in Europe.

In Zazen, one encounters Nirvana beyond service charges, but down here in Samsara one encounters a realm of service charges.

Gassho, J

STLah

Another solution could be for Kakunen to setup a Bitcoin (or Dogecoin...) wallet, and provide the address here for people to transfer crypto, which he could then withdraw as Yen.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today, Lah
    Last edited by bad_buddha_007; Yesterday at 12:49 PM.