Thread: April 2-3 OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI -Remember Daylight Saving AND CLOTHES!

April 2-3 OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI -Remember Daylight Saving AND CLOTHES!

Remember DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME CHANGE!

We will continue our series of reflections on the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)
    (text below in this thread)

Also ... Please --DO-- WEAR CLOTHES!

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London Midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 04-02-2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: One way youtube video added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We continue our dance with the Heart Sutra with these lines ...

O/ Sha/ri/pu/tra/, form/ is/ no/ o/ther/ than/ emp/ti/ness/,

Emp/ti/ness/ no/ o/ther/ than/ form/;

Form/ is/ pre/cise/ly/ emp/ti/ness/, emp/ti/ness/ pre/cise/ly/ form/.

Sen/sa/tions/, per/cep/tions/, for/ma/tions/ and/ con/scious/ness/ are/ al/so/ like/ this/.

O/ Sha/ri/pu/tra/, all/ things/ are/ ex/pres/sions/ of/ emp/ti/ness/,

Not/ born/, not/ des/troyed/, not/ stained/, not/ pure/;

Nei/ther/ wax/ing/ nor/ wan/ing/.

Thus/ emp/ti/ness/ is/ not/ form/; not/ sen/sa/tion/ nor/ per/cep/tion/,

not/ for/ma/tion/ nor/ con/scious/ness/.

About Shariputra:

Śāriputra was one of the top disciples of the Buddha. Śāriputra had a key leadership role in the ministry of the Buddha and is considered in many Buddhist schools to have been important in the development of the Buddhist Abhidharma. He frequently appears in Mahayana sutras, and in some sutras, is used as a counterpoint to represent the "Lesser Vehicle" schools of Buddhism.

Śāriputra is said to have played a key role in the development of the Abhidharma texts of the Buddhist Tripitaka. Buddhist scholar monks Rewata Dhamma and Bhikkhu Bodhi describe the Abhidharma as "an abstract and highly technical systemization of the doctrine". According to Theravada tradition, the Abhidharma, or "Higher Dharma", is said to have been preached by the Buddha to devas while he was spending the rainy season in Tavatimsa Heaven. It is said that the Buddha returned to earth daily to give a summary to Śāriputra, who classified and reordered the teachings and relayed it to his disciples, in what would become the Abhidharma Pitaka.

In prajñāpāramitā sutras [[Perfection of Wisdom sutras such as the Heart Sutra] Śāriputra is often depicted as the counterpoint to the true meaning of prajñāpāramitā. In the Astasahasrika Prajñāpāramitā Sutra, Śāriputra is portrayed as being unable to understand the ultimate meaning of prajñāpāramitā and instead ... Śāriputra has to be instructed in this sutra because, despite his great wisdom, prajnaparamita doctrine was too advanced for his comprehension. ... Śāriputra plays a major role in the Heart Sutra, where the teaching is directed at him. Śāriputra prompts the teaching of the sutra by asking the Mahayana bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara how to practice wisdom. Avalokiteśvara's response to Śāriputra, then makes up the body of the sutra.
    The five-aggregate model of the mind describes subjective conscious experience ... The five aggregates are described as constituting the basic components that make up “oneself” (Analayo, 2006, p. 201; Bodhi, 1995, p. 27). The first aggregate is material form that includes both the physical body and external matter .... The other four aggregates are feelings, perception, volition, and sensory consciousness. In this model, feelings relate to the subjective affective repercussions of an experience, perceptions represent being aware of attributes of an object, and volition describes the reactive or purposive aspect of the mind (including both intention and behavior). Volition can find expression in bodily behavior, verbal behavior, or psychological behavior. The term sensory consciousness in this context refers to being conscious of something, and constitutes experiencing a sensory stimulus (i.e., visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, or taste), or being conscious of a thought (a thought concerning the past, present, or future). The teachings describe that sensory consciousness can result in the generation of any of the other three aggregates, namely feelings, perception, or volition (Analayo, 2006). The five aggregates are also described in terms of “internal” and “external” (Analayo, 2006, p. 203). We experience, observe, and analyze not only the external world but also observe and analyze the internal world ...

The Five Aggregates and Their Descriptions With Examples.

1. Material form
    Elementary components that make up not only the physical body but the external environment. Example: Atoms and molecules that continuously move to and
    from the body.

2. Feelings
    Subjective affective repercussions of an experience. Examples: Pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral feelings.

3. Perception
    Being aware of attributes of an object or an event. Examples: Recognizing the color of an object, its shape, size, or any other perceptions that result from analyzing the world, our material bodies or the mind.

4. Volition
    Reactive or purposive aspects of the mind that include intention as well as behavior. Volition can manifest as follows: (a) Bodily behavior (any activity), (b) Verbal behavior (speech, scolding, etc.), (c) Psychological behavior (proliferating thoughts, cultivating thoughts of compassion, analyzing, practicing
    mindfulness, etc.).

5. Sensory consciousness
    Being conscious of something. Examples: Knowing a sensory stimulus (visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, or taste) or a thought (concerning the past, present, or future).
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...58244015583860
    Master Dogen in Shobogenzo Maka-hannya-haramitsu:

When this principle is preached and realized, it is said that “matter [form] is just the immaterial [emptiness]” and the immaterial [emptiness] is just matter [form]. Matter is matter, the immaterial is the immaterial.
    Gassho, J
    STLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Today's Hokey Pokey comes with a bit of trivia: "in Denmark [it is known as] the Boogie Woogie and in the Philippines it is called the Boogie Boogie." So, this time, let's head to Denmark ...

Mek Pek (born 4 January 1964) is a Danish singer and actor from Aarhus. Mek started his career in 1979 in the punk band Lost Kids in which he played the bass. Lost Kids eventually dissolved as a band and in 1982 he started his own band called Mek Pek Party Band. ... Mek Pek has been active as an actor in several movies such as Casanova and Hvor kommer mælk fra? and television ads. He has published albums for children and has been voted the sexiest man in Aarhus in 1987.
    Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-02-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there with instruments ready!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you, Jundo and Kyonin. I look forward to this zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Video gubbins connected and ready to go. See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi all I'm afraid I can't make it tonight but I will sit with you all across the weekend.

Gassho

Ryokudo

SAT/LAH

Feeling a bit green around the gills today. I hope to sit at least part of tonight with you all.
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Naiko; 04-02-2021 at 11:58 PM.

I will sit at Internet cafe at Tokyo.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sorry to come late and leave early! But all just empty nevertheless Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi and everyone!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ditto, What she said. My eyes are having problems, going to take them to bed.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Joining in one-way now, thank you all.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Doshin
    St

Happy Spring, Easter, Oestara, Sunday, Weekend to all.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi, and everyone. Lovely, though empty, zazenkai. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, Sekishi, and all for another wonderfully empty evening of empty emptiness.

And thank you everyone for keeping your clothes on! I know that nudity is also empty, but...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Thank you all for the wonderful sit!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and everyone. Such a lovely Zazenkai, and I must say that even though this is not my first time exploring the concept of emptiness, it still blows my mind... so Sariputra is not alone in that respect

Excellent talk, Jundo. I have been deeply enjoying your insights into the Heart Sutra.

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

I notice how I was fidgeting with my mask and fogged glasses every few minutes of my talk.

A perfect example of how the "unpleasant sensation" was becoming my constant reaction.

Gassho, J

STLah

Either that or a novel mode of masturbation

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Going to sit this one now.

Gassho,
    Matt

Sat remotely, thank you for your effort.
    Gassho,
    Mags ST

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    O <------------- Empty or is it ..................

Thank you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo and Kyonin and Sanghamates. I sat Zazenkai with you all across space and time.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat Today

"Don't try to be the wind, just blow".
    Thank you all for this Zazenkai.
    Gassho
    Sat